SkatePerception
ogmike

Motorcycle Thread 3.0

It was too beautiful outside today not to ride...

Unfortunately my bike is still out of order. I'm going to swallow my pride and take it to a mechanic for a good once over next time I have a day off of work. It'll be twice as hard to swallow the unavoidable repair bill alongside my pride, although I'd rather fork over some cash than go without a ride on a day like today.

Plus I'm due a fat check from my 30hrs of overtime this pay period.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

started tearing down my bike yesterday. gotta organize the mess of wires throughout the bike and probably rebuild my carbs.

also wrapped my exhaust.

7206647424_514d5b0855.jpg

7206649522_7bef941e88.jpg

I wanted to wrap my header, cause thats the only part of my bike that is rusted and blueing. But cause of my oil leak i cant for now, until i fix it which im not sure when i will cause i can't stop riding it enough to fix it. haha

Currently the high bidder on a 2-into-1 exhaust for my bike, this will be the jump start for making some long overdue cosmetic changes to her. I should take the carbs off and clean them, although I'm still adhering to the "not broke, don't fix it" theory. Going to rip out the air box (which has never had a filter in it since I got it over a year ago) and put some cone filters on. I'm guessing between doing that and the new exhaust some things are going to have to be adjusted, which might inspire me to clean the carbs. Then I'm taking the back fender off and doing something in that area, not sure what yet. Also during this overhaul, going to put new brake pads in and get a new shifter lever. Mine has been bent since I collided with my friend on his Vespa and took a spill (his fault, not mine). Debating ripping the gauges off. They work, but I honestly don't use them much and the front end looks better without them. Not required in my state for licensing. Might paint the side covers and gas tank during all of this, too. I don't want to fuck up the original lines on the tank, but I hate that brown. Still not sure how I'm going to go about that...

Oh, and at some point during all of this, I'll get my motorcycle license renewed, my insurance renewed, and my license plates renewed. Heh.

Nice metta holder OGmike.

Go with a mini gauge and ditch the tach if you have one. Not sure what ratio you need for your bike, but I got one of these last week (0748 for my bike) and am now just working on building up my courage to solder all this shit together.

I used to say that, then my friend told me to just get one, so I did. good decision

Picked up my bike yesterday and I couldn't be more siked!

532b6148.jpg

This is a picture right before I went on my first ride with it. Don't mind the rag in the gas tank

983d6010.jpg

that is fucking NICE thrash...congrats on that!

On that same exact level, I did some goddamn soldering and installed my new mini-speedo (temporarily with a yamaha bracket). The wiring diagram I had was not for my model year and so I had to do a lot impressive thinking to figure it all out. Thought to pick up some quick-disconnects at radio shack and now that bitch is fully revertible to OEM unit.

Can't wait to figure out a better mount for it...but it already looks much better than the stock heinous cluster. The tach is coming off as soon as I figure out the new speedo bracket:

7213637258_b5134dc2fd_z.jpg

sick, so how much did that build run you in the end thrashin?

Stefan I like the speedo set up. My bike has the speedo built into the tank which I kinda cause my handlebars are clean, but looking down at the tank to check speed is annoying

983d6010.jpg

How do you like the hard tail so far? Always wondered what riding one feels like, haven't had the pleasure yet. Your bike is lookin' pretty damn awesome. Congrats on the new build.

sick, so how much did that build run you in the end thrashin?

Thanks dude, all and all I was just under $8,000. Here is the before and after

IMG_1488.JPG

IMG_2353.JPG

How do you like the hard tail so far? Always wondered what riding one feels like, haven't had the pleasure yet. Your bike is lookin' pretty damn awesome. Congrats on the new build.

It is actually a lot smoother than I thought it would be, if I did not have the springer seat I would be bummed. I really like it a lot

I could see some Final Destination type shit going on if you took it out on the highway without some serious strap and bungee work.

431996_10100720652014483_10200584_56773670_444532456_n.jpg

I'd slip some of those foam swimmy noodles over the U-loops for starters.

http://www.surferpeg.com/

still not convinced this is safe on the highway, but man would that save me some gas money

I might have to invest in one of those for this summer...

Im sure if, like Stefan said, you strap it down a little bit more than it should be good to go.

Edit- Don't mean to be that guy and ask.... but can i join the SPMC? Im proud to say that since having my bike in the past 3 weeks ive put about 300 miles on it or more haha.

buy that, it's a nice bike...although no disc brakes on a first bike isn't ideal.

I'm a noob, what does this mean? And how are those brakes different from....common brakes?

So I just found this on craigslist the other day.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/2980434969.html

a parts bike that I think would be fun to build into a bike. motor looks like it's in peices so that may give me trouble, but I've been reading up on the xs650 motors. doesn't appear to have any rust or anytthing bad with it. already talked to the guy and he said if I can't pay for it all at once, he'd be willing to hold it for me if I gave him the money little by little. But I'm a little hesitant to do that. anything else I should ask him about the bike? I'd really like to get this because this is something I've been wanting to do for a while now.

I'll tell you what just about everyone else is gonna say.

I wouldnt suggest getting a bike thats gonna take alot to get on the road for your first bike. Get something cheap thatll run, or run without any problems. You'll be discouraged having a bike you can't ride.

I can't find it, but those Deus Ex Machina Customs guys have a video somewhere of using one of those surfboard carriers on a motorcycle. Looked pretty harmless as long as you aren't an idiot and secure it correctly. I'm having visions of getting lumber from the hardware store using one... Bad idea.