SkatePerception
ogmike

Motorcycle Thread 3.0

Goals for today on my project is:

Dump some oil in the engine and see if it leaks. If it leaks the engine is done and i'm gonna do some craigslisting to find a replacement. A normal xj650 engine would probably drop in with ease. Or I could mount my own which sounds like it would be a blast to try to do.

Pull the heads off and look into the cylinders and see if they're rusty.

Start sanding the frame to be painted. I'm sure powder coating is way out of my budget and i'm gonna end up chopping the frame up hopefully so why bother.

The Bell 500s are actually nicer in person IMO...not sure which has the lower profile with the new Biltwell design though...I do know a Bell 500 XL is lower profile than the OG Biltwell DOT XL.

8560169046_40c66cc503_z.jpg

Bell 500 in that shot. Also, JUST A PERSONAL SUGGESTION, don't cake city shit mud onto your tires, let it bake on in the sun and then proceed straight to a freeway on ramp

• Like 1

Rode to work today, 71 is the forecasted high. Finalllyyyyyyy.

Tomorrow it's supposed to be 48. Gay.

• Like 1

252790_3384833783220_755295197_n.jpg

yeah I have the bell 500 personally, haven't seen the biltwells in person

71 would be so awesome to ride in, I couldn't do it today being in the 30's but I rode to work on Wednesday when the high was 44. hands hurt that morning

I ordered mine a couple of hours ago, Do all of you guys have orange flake? haha

I ordered it in the orange too.

And had a pretty good day of riding today. My dad is staying at a hotel like 60 miles away from where I live for no reasons so I rode out there today. High of 72 for the day so it was pretty awesome

Edit: Found out I got in to Cornell today. Pretty hyped but no winter riding is gonna be a bitch. But Jay I'll be down to go to that show in New Jersey forsure in september

• Like 1

262162_4563672813459_504261270_n.jpg

my girl wants to learn how to ride motorcycles, so we pulled my dirtbike out of the shed, and she rebuilt and rejetted the carbs, and then rode it around

I definitely find a girl on a bike hot. I once told my ex I loved her almost as much as I loved my motorcycle. She didn't see the humor in it.

I got my suzukis today after a bunch of running around while hung over. Took the tank off and the carbs. Spark was looking real weak but i'm gonna see how it looks with a good battery. The starter on it is also not working so I pulled one off the parts bike.

After I get it running heres what I want to do to it. Take off the gauges and put a small electric speedo on. Either make a smaller front fender or just remove it completely. Having water shoot into my face when it's wet out sucks though. The rear end i'm gonna chop the fender to the point where the seat is and remount the lights somewhere. I'm just excited to be making progress on them.

I tried to ride my bike over to my friend's house to work on it in his garage while he's rebuilding his CB550's engine. Despite my bike running at around 75% last weekend it started to loose power shortly after leaving my house, after which I couldn't get it over about 15mph. We did the math and the 40 minute ride was looking more like 2.5 hours at that rate.

Luckily my roommate bought a little Ford Ranger a few days ago, so I'm going to throw it in the bed and haul it over there later today.

EDIT: Hauled my bike over to my friend's house in my roommate's pick-up. Hopefully I'll have some spare time to source some parts and redo those carbs next sunday.

the bars my sister got me came in earlier than expected so I put them on. Digging the new height

barsinbox_zps8544a5fb.jpg

barchange_zpsc3da6b2a.jpg

harleybarcomp2_zps1998b9af.jpg

also decided it was time for a new air filter-

airfiltercomparison_zpsa0711393.jpg

next things on the list-

put a spacer in to lower the front shock somewhere between 1-2" and have more preload

grind off fender mounting tabs, and reflectar mounts

figure out a bottom mount headlight and wiring solution

hell yeah.

picking up a mostly complete parts bike for $50. why not, I'll sell the parts on ebay

• Like 1

Hey guys, it's my first post in sp in like 2+ years or something. I'd taken a leave of absence from skateboarding for awhile.. You know how it goes when you go off to college.

Anyway, I'm slowing starting to skate again, just for funzies.

I'm going to be doing a motorcycle trip I'd been planning for a long time this summer. About a month and a half gig. Not really set on dates yet since I have to work it around whenever I can get my college classes. (Either the first half or 2nd half of the summer..)

Regardless, I figure it's a pretty sweet opportunity to skate a bunch of new stuff and tie my old skateboarding wanderlust with my new motorcycle wanderlust.

About the trip, I'm gonna get a sleeping bag and a little propane stove thing and camp a lot of places to save some money. Maybe check into a crappy motel if I haven't found a shower in too long. I've read about other guys that did trips like this and couchsurfed a lot, so I'll be doing that too whenever the opportunity presents itself. [Just presenting the low budget attitude of the trip I s'pose.]

The locations aren't set in stone or anything, so if I managed to get some people to tag along I'd be down to deviate a little bit. Also, if you live anywhere close along the route and want to skate with some terrible 22 year old on a journey, it'd be pretty sweet to know some locals along the way.

I don't have any homies that skate anymore, and the few biker friends I have aren't down enough to hop on something as serious as this. So far I'm just planning the trip solo.

I figure it'll give me an opportunity to see all sorts of things I won't get a chance to once I have to join the "real" world and work; epic scenery, lots of random friends along everywhere, stories, etc.

I took a cursory flip through of sp trying to see if there was a thread to find anybody in Gainesville to link up and skate with, maybe make some new homies, and when I saw this thread I pretty much knew right away I was gonna throw this trip up here and see if I got any feedback.

884998_10200975244054046_483035701_o.jpg

hell yeah man, sounds awesome. unfortunately I'm northeast so I'm not anywhere near your route

my friend finally got his first bike, and what a fucking steal

kz4001_zps2c63064f.jpg

kz4002_zpsdeeacc7d.jpg

1977 kawasaki kz400 deluxe that I found. 1,200 original miles, garage kept. $400 with title. covered in layers of dust, brought it back to my house and shined it up in no time, fixed half the issue he claimed were wrong that needed barely any attention, and almost had it running but I left my starting fluid at my friends place. Just gotta clean out the tank, seal it, get some new fuel line rubber, tires, and a carb boots to the airbox and I think we're golden. came with a huge fairing that we took off but I dig everything else

That thing is pretty sweet. I kinda like those hard backs too, they look cool as hell.

I've been riding with my bell 500 all this week and its an awesome helmet. Super comfy and looks cool too.

Hey guys, it's my first post in sp in like 2+ years or something. I'd taken a leave of absence from skateboarding for awhile.. You know how it goes when you go off to college.

Anyway, I'm slowing starting to skate again, just for funzies.

I'm going to be doing a motorcycle trip I'd been planning for a long time this summer. About a month and a half gig. Not really set on dates yet since I have to work it around whenever I can get my college classes. (Either the first half or 2nd half of the summer..)

Regardless, I figure it's a pretty sweet opportunity to skate a bunch of new stuff and tie my old skateboarding wanderlust with my new motorcycle wanderlust.

About the trip, I'm gonna get a sleeping bag and a little propane stove thing and camp a lot of places to save some money. Maybe check into a crappy motel if I haven't found a shower in too long. I've read about other guys that did trips like this and couchsurfed a lot, so I'll be doing that too whenever the opportunity presents itself. [Just presenting the low budget attitude of the trip I s'pose.]

The locations aren't set in stone or anything, so if I managed to get some people to tag along I'd be down to deviate a little bit. Also, if you live anywhere close along the route and want to skate with some terrible 22 year old on a journey, it'd be pretty sweet to know some locals along the way.

I don't have any homies that skate anymore, and the few biker friends I have aren't down enough to hop on something as serious as this. So far I'm just planning the trip solo.

I figure it'll give me an opportunity to see all sorts of things I won't get a chance to once I have to join the "real" world and work; epic scenery, lots of random friends along everywhere, stories, etc.

I took a cursory flip through of sp trying to see if there was a thread to find anybody in Gainesville to link up and skate with, maybe make some new homies, and when I saw this thread I pretty much knew right away I was gonna throw this trip up here and see if I got any feedback.

884998_10200975244054046_483035701_o.jpg

beetween los angeles and santa cruz DONT take interstate 5. Its flat, straight and boring. Take the 101, and than the 1. You will ride along the coast almost the entire way and see some amazing scenery. I live in Ventura, just north of LA. Hit me up when your rolling through, im down to go skate.

little 100cc yamaha i got, this was before i fixed it up a bit

so awesome.

beetween los angeles and santa cruz DONT take interstate 5. Its flat, straight and boring. Take the 101, and than the 1. You will ride along the coast almost the entire way and see some amazing scenery. I live in Ventura, just north of LA. Hit me up when your rolling through, im down to go skate.

Will do on both counts.

That's a really buttery looking 400 for $400. You should nickname her Foh Fohs for the lulz.

On a side note, seeing as how you're super bike gurus, want to share a couple bits of wisdom? (if you feel so inclined)

I'm trying to get out of a couple bikes right now.. An 03 suzie gz250 and an 07 suzie c50 boulevard.

I'd really like to get over a liter bike this time around. With the intention of being the last bike I get. And with the ambition of getting 48 state stickers on the windshield someday.

I have some cash to drop on it, maybe in the $4k range before selling the other two.

I was thinking about an 1100 shadow..

Either that or get a POS that is barely good for anything but a title and frame... and buy a new engine and build it from zero.

I'm not very mechanically inclined but have homeys that are and have the tools for it. I just don't know if a month and a half's time is enough to finish a project like that between work and finals. (And riding the bike around enough to feel confident to go 7000 miles.)

I figured if I built it I'd know how to fix most of what could go wrong along the way.

It's either that or count on pure money and newness that I won't get stranded.

Anyway, I figured I'd ask for your two cents.

I feel like building a bike in a month and a half for a super long trip like that may not be the best idea. I'd go for a newer bike for the trip so you have decent time to get used to it and ride it around before you go. In the end if you really want to build a bike, sell the new one when you get back.

To many things can go wrong with building a bike from scratch. Especially when you're planning a trip like that, and expect to ride it the entire way.

my friend finally got his first bike, and what a fucking steal

kz4001_zps2c63064f.jpg

kz4002_zpsdeeacc7d.jpg

1977 kawasaki kz400 deluxe that I found. 1,200 original miles, garage kept. $400 with title. covered in layers of dust, brought it back to my house and shined it up in no time, fixed half the issue he claimed were wrong that needed barely any attention, and almost had it running but I left my starting fluid at my friends place. Just gotta clean out the tank, seal it, get some new fuel line rubber, tires, and a carb boots to the airbox and I think we're golden. came with a huge fairing that we took off but I dig everything else

I don't think they make the carb boots. They don't for my '75. Try to seal them with marine glue. That worked for me.

ah well luckily bikebandit.com carries them, but thanks. we are missing one entire boot so I'm not sure the marine glue would work for that anyways, would have to buy some rubber hosing and make it work. it's just air at least