SkatePerception
ogmike

Motorcycle Thread 3.0

so my buddy Mike was selected as a finalist to be the +1 added to the Show Class/Chop Cult contest. His name is Mike Neilsen and he is building that sweet ass panhead. Here is a link to the pictures of the bikes

http://www.chopcult.com/news/articles/show-class-magazines-people-champ-top-24--1.html

The link to vote is pretty much at the bottom of the page.

He'd be so stoked to be added on and is a good dude that has helped me out a few times.

The link to vote is pretty much at the bottom of the page.

Done!

Done a few things to the ascot. New moto bars, getting the wiring/electric all down. Threw on a carbon exhaust. Cleaning it up a little. Bought a new black minty cb400 tank once I get that done I will figure out the seat/back of frame situation cutting/welding.

Its crazy how much time you can consume with vintage bikes, like crazy but I can dig it!

Hope yall are having good fun riding. It is 70 degrees here in austin and sunny.

^

photo_zpsf779797a.jpg

have you seen this dude riding around Austin?-

554714_10151761253052233_470664431_n.jpg

he's traveling Dave and is an awesome dude doing an awesome trip. keep an eye out

Yea my brother, mom, and dad have all done the safety course. It helps with insurance cost too so i might as well do it. I don't think it will need much to get it going. Owner said that he was going to do new brakes if he continued to ride it so, that + whatever it could need from sitting.

How much is your insurance? Just wondering cause I see all the commercial about low motorcycle insurance and in Ohio I pay less than $10 a month for state minimum. Do you have full coverage? Or is it just where you live that makes it so expensive? Just curious.

I finally picked up a harley. It's in rough shape. 1965 XLCH I need to do a total rebuild. I want to get the the alluminium shining on the outside of the motor. I've read bead blasting is best for that. The juggs are made out of iron or something, haha who would have thought maybe that's why they call it an ironhead haha. They're all rusty, I gotta clean that up.

Other than that it came with a swingarm frame, no swingarm. I think I'm gonna have a shop do the hardtailing on it. I don't trust my welding or geometry skills enough to tackle that

In the end I want to use the parts that come with it. Just the frame, engine, gas tank, and front fender. Everything else will have to be bought or made by hand. I really do want to make as much of this as possible. Handlebars, a seat, maybe even the pipes if it's not too sensitive to back pressure.

Has anyone ever heard of the stampede run? It's a cross country cannonball race style motorcycle run for small displacement bikes. Google it. It is one of my targets for the next two years to do this.

Also I see these beautiful scramblers in this thread. I love them. That's gonna be my next bike purchase. Not a scrambler but a small enduro type bike. A 175 would be perfect. Can't find anything on craigslist now but I'm sure that something will pop up for a few hundred bucks eventually.

• Like 1

He'd be so stoked to be added on and is a good dude that has helped me out a few times.

Mike made it! Fuck yea...thanks to you guys that voted. I'll probably post up the final contest/vote when it opens up.

Edit:

Also, a few of my riding friends are getting into making really cliche DSLR moto montages and I am not pumped. They have a quadcopter though, so that might rope me into one of them...lens flares anyone? No one? k

• Like 1

How much is your insurance? Just wondering cause I see all the commercial about low motorcycle insurance and in Ohio I pay less than $10 a month for state minimum. Do you have full coverage? Or is it just where you live that makes it so expensive? Just curious.

I still haven't gotten the bike, it's actually sitting in my neighbors garage. He moved in with his girlfriend and his sister is living there, haven't seen him so i haven't grabbed it yet. Haven't done the safety course yet either. That being said, i pay around 250 a month for insurance for just my car. Im hoping it doesn't sky rocket the price when i get the motorcycle.

congrats on the ironhead, love the way the pre 70 ones look like. make sure to get a photo up

david bird makes a bolt on for that year but if you can afford a shop to build a good weld on by all means go that route

I thought being winter I'd stop spending money on my bike. nope.

photo2_zps457e1577.jpg

my girlfriend got me the tank I wanted for my bike for christmas. awesome. also picked up the finned air cleaner cover, and this solo seat instead of the one I had on springs. not sure which route to go.

photo3_zps2c80eab6.jpg

skinny tank with low petcock, should be able to go farther than my standard lifted peanut tank

photo4_zps175eae58.jpg

also got myself a tig welder, and its definitely a learning process. I suck at it (for now)

• Like 1

That's rad Jay I am very jealous of your work space.

Also, my buddy Mike made it into the main competition, time to vote again if you can:

http://www.showclassmag.com/2014/01/peoples-champ-part-deux-round-1.html?m=1

Also, votes on instagram count as well @show_class_mag by commenting on his bike's photo

or don't vote to maintain your dignity.

• Like 1

Voted!

I have run into a problem with my Honda.

I have recently picked up an old cb400 tank that is pretty mint and I found that the petcock is the same size-ish but the threads are different. I would just buy a new petcock but my carb has a vacuum and I don't know any ways around that. As well as I don't want to spend 80+ on a new petcock. Any ideas?

I want to make a white shovelhead chopper w/ subtle cocaine references hidden on it and call it The Snow Shovel

• Like 2

been trying to get back into chopper things lately. took my pan heads in yesterday to get a fresh valve job done and tried making a sissy bar for my evo chop last night. failed miserably at the sissy bar but gonna go grind all my welds off and give it another shot today haha.

also got a new frame coming for my panhead. time to change the look up a bit.

http://dzeng.bigcartel.com/product/single-down-loop-frame

single downtube frames get my dick hard.

Max-Pan.jpg

You bought one of those D&Z frames? That Reece guy is pretty cool, a buddy of mine rides with him from time to time when he's up that way

I rode this weekend and shat my pants on some ice...luckily tires were cold and didn't high side me when I re-entered pavement after some sidewazin.

Also, some ratchet girl I met at a bar on Saturday night gave me a goddamn hickey on my neck sometime early Sunday morning and I've been telling people (not on this weekend's ride) that a truck kicked up a rock and it grazed me on my neck when I was riding over the weekend. It is working.

• Like 3

I want to make a white shovelhead chopper w/ subtle cocaine references hidden on it and call it The Snow Shovel

there is this less subtle cb750 around my area, titled the "cocaine bandit". It was the giveaway chopper for Strange Days 2. Last year was a sweet 70s survivor xs650, and this year is going to be a longgg '71 ironhead. can't wait, if any of you dudes are somewhat close it's July 25th-27th this year

photo.JPG

• Like 2

got some shit done actually this weekend.

got my heads gone through and put back together on my panhead. so hopefully it runs nice this year.

also got this on its way to me for the panhead. so hyped on this frame.

12711994134_824873b986_z.jpg

got my evo put together finally. did it all in a day haha.

12711906904_ca6a2ef21d_z.jpg

and tore my buddies sporty down to get some paint on it.

12711627523_64c4602033_z.jpg

its cool having a shop full of people building bikes at the same time to motivate you.

^awesome

here's the progress on mine as of now, trying to get it done in less than a month. had a few days warm enough for riding already-

ironroller_zps3234c97e.jpg