SkatePerception
ogmike

Motorcycle Thread 3.0

havent been in my thread in so long

motorcycles just aint happnen in nyc

never seen a single harley parked on the street here i swear, anything hd will get jacked.

I had a gs750 up until January, then I sold it and bought a friend's '78 xlch. He built it some years ago, but just got a shovel he's building so decided to sell it to me. We just put in an electronic ignition a few weeks ago, and all I've done to it since I've had it is change the bars to some forward bent t-bars I cut skinny. Also had to change the wiring on the key switch cause apparently it hates rigid frames.

photo1_zps0c7daa42.jpg

photo2_zps34d5709e.jpg

The motor and frame don't match, but I have the matching frame in my living room right now. After summer we're going to pull the bike apart and start a new build from the original frame.

It's rad looking through this thread, a lot of cool stuff. I haven't been on here in over a year.

• Like 2

awesome, same year bike that I am currently working on.

are you going back to swingarm then? have any clearance issues with that kicker? late 70s had the massive swing out arms and I want to switch over to that style so I can have kick pedal options

got the engine back in the frame this weekend, going to build it back up this week after I get the final coat of paint on the tins tonight.

engineinframe_zps47d9cee7.jpg

• Like 1

I have the swing arm but still plan to get a weld on hard-tail for the frame. Don't have any problem with the kicker. I mean, it's pretty close, but never an issue. The pipes are really the only issue clearance wise. I drag them on the ground on damn near every right turn I make at low speeds, but it's never dramatic or a problem.

Jealous of your weather Stefan. Can't wait for summer.

working on a 82' cb750 nighthawk. not starting. electronics work fine. we got 3 of 4 spark plugs to get little spark, but nothing great. but the order of the spark plugs creating spark changes. any ideas?

any idea what brand hard tail jordan? I went with david bird bolt on, but now that I've learned to weld I wish I got a weld on. they look a lot cleaner.

photo1_zpsbd88737c.jpg

pretty much spent friday - sunday on this thing, only stuff I have left is to hook up the positive and negative battery connections now that I have the correct little electrical things. I think I got my oil lines all sorted so hopefully those work with no issues. then it's just putting all the little things back on and it should be ready. bummer I have a work trip I leave on wednesday for

I wish man...I feel like such a gaper when I ride dirt...I swear it's like learning anything late in life, you'll always look like an idiot no matter how good you get (skating, snowboarding, golf, surfing, suckin d)

• Like 1

I wish man...I feel like such a gaper when I ride dirt...I swear it's like learning anything late in life, you'll always look like an idiot no matter how good you get (skating, snowboarding, golf, surfing, suckin d)

:blink:

i have a ttr125 which is an awkward size, kind of like a mountain bike. my friends have pit bikes-

http://instagram.com/p/l3QjsfmtHN/

they are fun to rip around your friends yard on, for sure.

in other news I rode my ironhead, and it works. there was a terrifying noise but it was just a loose pushrod. no front brakes yet but they will go on.

• Like 2

I have been riding a bunch, just about every day. My ultra bro roommate just picked up an XL250 at my behest. I didn't foresee him being so clueless with the wrenches but whatever...we will get him straightened out.

Also, since I feel like the king of CL this week, if anyone wants me to pick this up and hold it for them I will:

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcd/4438414032.html

Seems like a pretty decent deal, other than the regrettably blacked out straight pipes, that is one clean sporty ready to go.

edit: pic in case ad is deleted

00J0J_anvpRLYpJYv_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

so whos trying to go to born free this year?

i think me and my homie are riding out from north dakota for it.

The old bike market out here is so fucked. Literally you can find a POS cb750 here that doesnt run for like 2000. People buy em. Fuckd.

Dude went down on our ride this Sunday...we were hauling ass through a canyon, this guy behind me low-sided on his Duc, I heard it and then saw it in my mirror. It was a good reminder to get some kevlar liners for my jeans, and also maybe a legit pair of gloves. He made it out OK...my k60s were at their limit, sliding just a bit in the rear on exit...he should have had plenty of tire/bike left considering his set up, so I am not sure what happened really and he couldn't really figure it out either. We patched his bike up with some makeshift levers and he actually rode the shit home. I thought he broke his ankle but it just swelled up really bad, minor rash on his legs, his gloves did their job but were shredded. So surreal looking in your mirror and seeing someone sliding along under their bike. Corner in the background

10410850_10102302254006413_8463890502067

This is the road...there was some gravel as usually this time of year but none on this particular turn

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Turkey+Creek+Park/39.5874828,-105.309079/@39.5799087,-105.2683094,14z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m10!1m1!1s0x0:0x1b08e2dde5793e34!2m2!1d-105.2246!2d39.593815!3m4!1m2!1d-105.2247632!2d39.5928853!3s0x876b778436f65113:0xed25224a28f53077!1m0!3e0

ive been lurking this for a while, and i really want a bike but sadly i wont be able to get one until i move out. however i do have a few questions for you guys. also, i found a 1972 cb350 twin for $1800 that runs nice and is pretty nice, would that be a first bike?

-what is the battery in the bike? are the cables ran up to the back part of the seat?

-to straight pipe something would you just get shorty pipes? do you have to do something to the carb?

-are those cylinders coming out of the carbs air filters? are they needed because a lot of bikes don't have them?

032811bottom.jpg

Thing you may want on your first bike, in descending order:

1. Kickstand

1a. Taillight

1b. License plate mount

2. Front fender

3. Speedometer

4. Turn signals

• Like 1

i wouldnt bother with a cb350. i had mine for a solid year but got over it so fast because of how slow it was. thing was wide open on the highway and barely hitting 65. thought it might blow up running it like that at any moment.

id go for atleast a cb550 or 750. or yamaha xs650's are also a nice option.

but definitely dont pay 1800 for any of these. most of these jap bikes can be had for under 1000 bucks in good running condition.

(just to clear it up, the picture I posted is not actualy the bike I was looking at, jus using that as an example)

but do they make twin models of higher cc bikes? I really like the look of the twin and kinda dislike the four...but what about triumphs? and generally Japanese bikes are pretty expensive around here! some cb750's are upwards of 3 grand stock.

the triumphs for sale around here are around $6000 or more...should I look for bikes right over the border in upstate NY?