SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
icoibyy

Front Smith

other than the shutter speed, which is an issue, it almost appears to be out of focus (maybe because of the slow shutter). Also, you composition is really boring. It's just kind of painful to look at.

i really doubt that his shutter or focus are off. If anything, the flash duration may be a tad long, but its not bad. You should, however, get closer for a fish shot.

Elijah rips so hard... I saw this kid skate at the Boardwalk shop in Woburn, MA. Its unreal how comfortable he is on a board for a little kid.

^ The FM2N that used to belong to you is so choice - I pimped it with a soft shutter release and an eyecup.

Thanks guys. The only question I have, is how fast of a shutter am I supposed to use? This was shot at 1/500.

what did you shoot this with, and what kind of flashes..

I shoot with a D40, and I have two SB-27s.

wait the d40 is 1/500? i had no clue.

So if I'm shooting at 1/500, can someone explain to me why it's blurring and how to fix it? Because obviously it's a problem. :D

its because of your flash duration. instead of shooting at 1/1 or 1/2, try shooting at a faster duration such as 1/8 or 1/16.

Flash duration is a good place to start, but a shot like this with a hot area of sky behind the action creates a second problem. While blurring can occur if your incident light ratio is too high compared to your flash output, you can easily get edge blurring if you have a bright light source that's shining through from behind the subject. It's something you see quite often with skate shots, even when sync speeds are at 1/500 sec. Shooting away from the direction of sunset or waiting until it gets a bit later is usually a good way to minimize it if your strobe lighting isn't fast/powerful enough.