SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
Alex Donaldson

How To Get The Best Out Of Your Dvx For Beginners.

Let me start out by saying, when i first got my DVX it was pretty frustrating trying to figure out all of the settings, frame rates etc. Hopefully this post helps out those of you that are new to the DVX.

1.Alright first off, always use 30p. 24p gives the footage lag and motion trails, which kind of messes up the shot.(

) Also 60i degrades the resolution a lot, so only use 60i when planning on slo moing the clips.

2. Scene Files: These give you the ability to make your image come out however you like. Here is a thread full of scene file settings from other people. Experiment and choose whats best for your liking. DVX User also has lots of great settings to choose from.

3. Always expose a little brighter on the VF/Lcd then normally, because the footage will be brighter on the camera then on the computer, so whats exposed properly on the camera is going to look dark on your computer.

4. Increase the detail level to around +3 for a sharper look. and lower it for a softer look.

5. I usually white balance off of grey to give it a little more of a warmer look then if i was to white balance off white, but not as golden as if i white balanced off blue.

6. FOR SONY VEGAS USERS: Always make project as HDV-720-30p, it keeps most of the resolution and makes the project progressive instead of interlaced. It may look grainy and blurry on the preview screen but looks great after you render.2nbvqrp.png

7. Here are my settings for MPEG Streamclip:9rqdya.png

8. This is the best way to get the best quality for uploading to Youtube/Vimeo.

Hope this helped those of you who are new to DVX's

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

After these steps

is how the footage should look.

24p doesn't lag or leave the motion trail if you put it in a 24p timeline... You probably had it in a 30p timeline

dvx 24p

24p doesn't lag or leave the motion trail if you put it in a 24p timeline... You probably had it in a 30p timeline

dvx 24p

could you explain alittle more? like while on the editing timeline? of your rendering or what?

yurrr, you can really tell the difference on youtube. that is if you watch in HD

Why are you exporting SD footage in HD? That's why it's lagging.

could you explain alittle more? like while on the editing timeline? of your rendering or what?

Probably in the timeline and the actual video. Any compression with different settings than the footage was initially shot in results in new data being made, usually leaving some sort of unwanted effect.

• Like 1

Well, I guess it doesn't really matter considering the fact that it's online streaming. But if else, you're better off putting the footage into an NTSC timeline with a 30p frame rate. I'm not saying you will, but you could potentially run into some data gathering problems.

hey man, Just new to the dvx, I'd like to take the time to thank you for posting this man. greatly appreciated! Examples were helpfull and super easy to follow. Thanks man :)