SkatePerception
kyrannnF

D-slr Buyers Advice Thread

which is better, sigma 17-50, or tamron 17-50? is it worth paying the extra 300 bones for the sigma?

I've heard that it's worth it.

you've tried the tamron i take it? any problems?

I've heard from everyone the focus ring is kind of stiff

I've heard from everyone the focus ring is kind of stiff

zoom ring is a bit stiff. focus ring is fine.

my zoom ring was actually quite decent, the focus ring was smooth, just the throw is super duper short.

debating grabbing a nikon mount one of the non VC version for my GH2, but i really want to find a decently priced tokina 16-50 f2.8

What should I get to record a person talking in a medium sized room. I already have a rode videomic and a sennheiser g3 lav setup. I was thinking about just getting a zoom h1 for the time being and start saving up for an h4n. or should i get the tascam dr 40 and stick with that? I'm looking to use the onboard mic of either recorder. Would the H1's mic produce good enough sound for paid work?

Can I fit a eye cushion on the lcdvf or the vfinder? Like the ones you buy for the zacuto zfinder. Also is their any difference between the lcdvf and the v-finder.

Has anyone used the Canon 24-104 f4? Does it have a shallow enough DOF? I understand that F4 is F2.5 on aps-c cameras, but I haven't really used a full frame yet.

Has anyone used the Canon 24-104 f4? Does it have a shallow enough DOF? I understand that F4 is F2.5 on aps-c cameras, but I haven't really used a full frame yet.

Cropping the sensor doesn't change the aperture, just the focal length. If you have it towards the longer end, it should produce some pretty shallow dof, But it will be harder to keep steady. If you want something with shallow dof either just get a 50mm 1.8, or sigma 30mm 1.4. Keep in mind, the 50 is almost too long to keep steady on cropped sensor, and 30mm cropped is close to 50mm on a full frame. So about the perfect focal length.

Cropping the sensor doesn't change the aperture, just the focal length. If you have it towards the longer end, it should produce some pretty shallow dof, But it will be harder to keep steady. If you want something with shallow dof either just get a 50mm 1.8, or sigma 30mm 1.4. Keep in mind, the 50 is almost too long to keep steady on cropped sensor, and 30mm cropped is close to 50mm on a full frame. So about the perfect focal length.

I'm looking for a good zoom for when I get my 5d Mark III, I'm stuck between the 24-105 f4L IS, and the new Tamron 27-70 f2.8 VC. I read somewhere that full frame changes the dof as well as the fov, like crop sensors add 1.6x to both, so the f/4 I'm used to on my crop sensor will be more like f2.5 on a full frame. Correct me if I'm wrong. The only reason I'm looking at the 24-105 is I'd need that extra bit of reach for weddings. Is the extra f-stop needed as much for full frame?

I'm looking for a good zoom for when I get my 5d Mark III, I'm stuck between the 24-105 f4L IS, and the new Tamron 27-70 f2.8 VC. I read somewhere that full frame changes the dof as well as the fov, like crop sensors add 1.6x to both, so the f/4 I'm used to on my crop sensor will be more like f2.5 on a full frame. Correct me if I'm wrong. The only reason I'm looking at the 24-105 is I'd need that extra bit of reach for weddings. Is the extra f-stop needed as much for full frame?

Get the 24-105, I've used it a couple of times and the AF and focus ring is amazing.

I currently have a T1i which I hacked with magic lantern to get pretty good video quality but would like to upgrade to get better fps and more megapixels and a better build quality. Should I go with the 60d, 7d, GH2, or save for 5DMk2? I have around $1500 top budget for the best quality video

I currently have a T1i which I hacked with magic lantern to get pretty good video quality but would like to upgrade to get better fps and more megapixels and a better build quality. Should I go with the 60d, 7d, GH2, or save for 5DMk2? I have around $1500 top budget for the best quality video

If best quality video is your top consideration, they're all the same; but sharpest results will come from the GH2.

If you're considering all aspects of the cameras, 60D is my vote.

Can't decide on getting a nd filter or a rode videomic. ND seems like it would come in handy more

Can't decide on getting a nd filter or a rode videomic. ND seems like it would come in handy more

Really I would say to think of your conditions where you shoot most.

get the mic! good audio is way more important

Hi all.

Long time lurker first time poster. I have been skating for years but just got into filming properly because of injuries. I've purchased a 7d and have been reading a lot of posts and discussions about agc. I am wondering if it is actually worth the hassle and expense of buying a zoom h4n and having to sync audio if you are just filming predominantly skateboarding for a local video. Could you just get away with an external mic like the Rode VideoMic going straight into the 7D and hope for a firmware update in the future? How bad does the agc affect skateboarding footage with an external mic? And would it be noticable in a regular skateboarding video? Thanks.

Hi all.

Long time lurker first time poster. I have been skating for years but just got into filming properly because of injuries. I've purchased a 7d and have been reading a lot of posts and discussions about agc. I am wondering if it is actually worth the hassle and expense of buying a zoom h4n and having to sync audio if you are just filming predominantly skateboarding for a local video. Could you just get away with an external mic like the Rode VideoMic going straight into the 7D and hope for a firmware update in the future? How bad does the agc affect skateboarding footage with an external mic? And would it be noticable in a regular skateboarding video? Thanks.

Get a rode videomic pro. AGC does not sound bad for things like skateboarding. You will be fine with that

Hi all.

Yes, you can get away with it.

As a previous 7D owner, I hated the AGC, and hated that I had no control over my audio.

Now as a 5D owner, I honestly forget I have control over the audio levels sometimes.

The audio coming out of DSLRs is fairly poor either way (albeit the AGC makes it zoo much worse), if you cared about audio you'd record it separately, as I always do.

But for skateboarding for the web where you're going to throw a music track over the top, not so crucial.

Get a Sennheiser MKE400 and you'll be set.

Thinking about getting a battery grip for my t2i so I can add some stability while shooting video. Anyone happy with their gripped t2i?

Thinking about getting a battery grip for my t2i so I can add some stability while shooting video. Anyone happy with their gripped t2i?

I have the t3i but the 550d battery grip from opteka(bg-e8), it's made for the t2i. I really like it and it does help stabilize when shooting handheld.

One of the best things I've bought for my 550d

Has anyone used the 28-135 for short films? I'm getting real interested in this lens.

Has anyone used the 28-135 for short films? I'm getting real interested in this lens.

I love mine. what camera would you be using it on? in fact I may consider selling it because I want to transfer back to all fast primes so if you get to the point of wanting to buy one hit me up with a pm.

I'm kinda stuck on what to do..

So I have an EazyHandle V2 with the short rods; they fit my T2i which I've been filming with mainly now since it's easier/more convenient than my GH2.

I wanted to sell my GH2 setup to have money for when Canon releases the T4i, but that doesn't seem like it's going to happen anytime soon so I decided I might as well get a T3i/60D if I could.

Would it be worth it to trade a GH2+14-140 for a 60D+18-135? **Also would the 60D fit the short rods or would I have to get the longer ones?

**I emailed the guys at EazyDolly about the rods but if I could get a reply about it faster here; then why not? lol

Thanks. :B

EDIT: jumped the gun and made a trade deal. And to any future eazy handle owners, you'll need the larger rods for a 60D. ;x