SkatePerception
PORTL4ND

What Keeps You Skateboarding?

*quitting

Today i was trudging up hill to get home. The cold weather distracting me from my heel bruises and blisters. I was so frustrated, and thought to myself, why do i even skateboard?.

I really dont understand it. i dont even have all that much fun with it anymore.

im consistently trying to push myself to keep up with all my friends who are 100x better then me, but i cant face my fears and commit to things. injury expense is scary, and i just dont have aspiration in slaving myself to land a trick.

nothing i do is remotely cool and cant be topped off with my shitty style. i felt like an idiot today making a big deal about kickflipping a 5 stair size gap (which i never landed) and i wanted to just quit, but i realized everything i do revolves around skateboarding, and for as long as i can remember its been the biggest influence in my life. i cant imagine my life without it. but it seems pointless flipping a wooden plank for me. sorry for being a deebie downer, im just bummed.

so what keeps all of you skateboarding?

*quitting

Today i was trudging up hill to get home. The cold weather distracting me from my heel bruises and blisters. I was so frustrated, and thought to myself, why do i even skateboard?.

I really dont understand it. i dont even have all that much fun with it anymore.

im consistently trying to push myself to keep up with all my friends who are 100x better then me, but i cant face my fears and commit to things. injury expense is scary, and i just dont have aspiration in slaving myself to land a trick.

nothing i do is remotely cool and cant be topped off with my shitty style. i felt like an idiot today making a big deal about kickflipping a 5 stair size gap (which i never landed) and i wanted to just quit, but i realized everything i do revolves around skateboarding, and for as long as i can remember its been the biggest influence in my life. i cant imagine my life without it. but it seems pointless flipping a wooden plank for me. sorry for being a deebie downer, im just bummed.

so what keeps all of you skateboarding?

quit pussy.

i dont even have all that much fun with it anymore.

If you don't have fun skating anymore then you shouldn't force yourself to keep doing it. I've been skating for like 9 years now, and I've never quit. I had surgery back in 2006 which put me out of commission for that whole summer, but after I was all healed up I got back on the board. My friend Kyle who used to be one of, if not the best dudes in my area that skated ended up quitting not too long ago. He devotes all of his time to making music now, which is cool because that's what he loves to do. He'll skate every once in a while, but he definitely doesn't do it all that much anymore. If I don't skate for a few days I tend to get really moody and high strung, so I try to skate everyday, and whenever I'm not skating I'm usually filming my friends or at my house transferring footy. To me skating wasn't ever about trying to get really good, or be better than everyone. I've always just done it for fun. I know for a fact that I'm definitely not as good as some of my friends are, but I don't really care. The dudes that are out there that do it to make money are in it for the wrong reasons. I love skateboarding and I couldn't ever picture myself quitting. In the end though it's all about doing what you love.

So, you had a bad day. Don't think of skateboarding as something you need to be better than yours friends at. Think of it as something you love and enjoy to do, (well in your case...who knows). I always get excited to skate and that doesn't always mean, I get excited to back-lip a 12 stair. It means I like the freedom of skateboarding. If you have to contemplate quitting then you dont feel the love for skateboarding. For a while try not thinking about skill, try just skating a box or something little. When you land something maybe it'll bring back the excitement. I hate when people turn skateboarding into some competition for "best style" or "who's the best here". Don't get me wrong, skateboarding can be tons of fun too if you throw bangers. But maybe going hard as fuck skating isn't your think. Get techy haha

Also, you said something about the weather, its winter bundle the fuck up or dont skate. hahah.

i almost quit, then the other day my friend and i went and skated around campus and found this sick new outledge, and we just sat and filmed each other on our phones and had so much fun. Thats all its about anyway, fun

i feel you too. i had a horribly shitty night tonight. however, im not as bad as my friends. we are a group of shitty skaters haha. im still managing to do new stuff, but like you, its all gay imo. for me, skating is my only form of exercise and its the only reason i keep skating. so i can continue to lose weight. im close to my goal, but i honestly think i wont stop skating after im done losing weight. im in college and i feel like my urges to skate conflict with my grades sometimes (im taking 17 hours this semester) which is also another reason i feel like quitting. i will more than likely quit skating after college and make my way out to a coast or hawaii and settle. in the meantime, im gonna keep sucking at skating :)

Learn frontside ollies and build them up until you can go above coping.

that half second in the air

dipping the shoulder

and watching your back truck land just below the coping is the best feeling ever

I look forward to the day of being the old guy in the park doing that one run over and over in the bowl.

quit caring about how good you are, and just skate, if you dont feel like skating then dont, take a few days off and then the next time you do go skate youll appreciate it so much more and have way more fun, but most importantly just dont take it seriously at all, thats what I started doing about a year ago and skateboarding got twice as fun and I started improving alot more, I just dont even care now if I cant land something, I just shrug it off and move on, and skate something else.

Man, I've been broken for a month and a half and not being able to skate is making me lose my mind. I keep skating because I have a need to be physically active, and there isn't anything more entertaining than skateboarding in my opinion. Who gives a fuck who's better than who, that's why all my friends quit skating and in truth it's really a dumb reason to stop. You'll never know what it's like to be good at skateboarding unless you keep doing it. Nothing worth having comes easy, including talent on a shredstick.

shred or die

I don't think anything "keeps" me skateboarding. I intend to do it untill I can't physically. Even if you can't do any trick you want, just riding the board is hella fun.