SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
domg702

Long Lenses

You might want to look into older lenses, for example old Nikon ai lenses. The zoom ring will be much smoother on an old lens rather than one of the newer canons.

The tamron 17-50 sucks for zooming. Way too tight. If you're willing to spend a little more money, the Canon 24-105 has a really smooth zoom ring. If not, look at vintage lenses with a push/pull zoom.

Depends on your wants and needs.

~$700 for Canon 70-200 f4

~$1,000 for Canon 24-105 f4

~$50-60 vintage Nikon 70-200 or 36-72

Honestly, the vintage lenses are only useable without a tripod to about 80mm... You aren't going to be able to keep it steady enough past that point, even with a rig... You really need good VC on it.

You might want to look into older lenses, for example old Nikon ai lenses. The zoom ring will be much smoother on an old lens rather than one of the newer canons.

how did you figure that?

how did you figure that?

well in general, most older zooms have pretty smooth zoom and focus rings due to being well worn in. of course this is not always true, just as all new lenses aren't automatically stiff in the same regards.

70-200 2.8 IS no question. Only if you can afford it though.

Why do people always recommend this lens? I admit, it's fun to mess with, but you are really really limiting yourself. The amount movement needed pretty ridiculous. The canon 70-210 or whatever is a great lens as well. If you're shooting at 150mm, f4.5 is plenty shallow enough for skateboarding. People really really need to start exploring other options, everyone buys the same stuff.

how did you figure that?

How do you not figure that? 90 percent of the vintage lenses are made completely out of metal and usually both the zoom ring and focus rings are both amazing...

thanks fellas always helpful. ive decided on the canon 24-105 i was messin around with a friends yesterday and its perfect for my wants and needs

:rolleyes:

How do you not figure that? 90 percent of the vintage lenses are made completely out of metal and usually both the zoom ring and focus rings are both amazing...

Maybe so, but there's no rule of thumb that 'vintage' lenses have smoother zooms than new lenses as MattSegerFilms was suggesting.

Maybe so, but there's no rule of thumb that 'vintage' lenses have smoother zooms than new lenses as MattSegerFilms was suggesting.

I would say that there definitely is. Pick up any vintage lens and chances are, the focus and zoom ring will be smooth. They weren't making complete junk back then...

I would say that there definitely is. Pick up any vintage lens and chances are, the focus and zoom ring will be smooth. They weren't making complete junk back then...

I agree 100%

I like using my follow focus with vintage Nikon lenses because of how thick/wide the rings were on ALL lenses.

It's a bit of a pointless debate, but I wasn't arguing the fact that most vintage lenses aren't smooth.

thanks fellas always helpful. ive decided on the canon 24-105 i was messin around with a friends yesterday and its perfect for my wants and needs

:rolleyes:

Good choice mate, really nice lens.