SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
kyrannnF

List Of Movies That Dslrs Have Been Used In

It seems like there has always been a vast interest here in movies that DSLRs have been used in. I know you guys are familiar with some of the more popular ones, but I'm sure there's a ton that not all of us are aware of. At this point, Canon DSLRs are used on so many "Hollywood" film sets, that it isn't even news when it happens anymore. I will first start the alphabetic list with a few off the top of my head, including the IMDb page link and what DSLR(s) were used in the making. If anyone has any they would like to tack on, feel free to post, and I will include it to the list.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

127 Hours - Canon 1D Mark IV, Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 7D

Act of Valor - Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, & Canon 1D Mark IV

The Avengers - Canon 5D Mark II & Canon 7D

Black Swan - Canon 7D & Canon 5D Mark II

Captain America - Canon 5D Mark II

Iron Man 2 - Canon 5D Mark II

Like Crazy - Canon 7D

The Pirates! Band of Misfits - Canon 5D Mark II

Red State - Canon 7D

Red Tails - Canon 1D Mark IV, Canon 5D Mark II, & Canon 7D

Secretariat - Olympus PL1

Pretty comprehensive list here that I've been using for a uni essay

Click

Pretty comprehensive list here that I've been using for a uni essay

Click

Yeah, that's a cool list, but this is for the stereotypical "Hollywood" movies; traditionally films with budgets of $1M+ (even though that's on the lower-end) and/or widely released in theaters. If indie films were the case here, a culminated list would never be possible.

In what scenarios would they decide to use these cameras over their film cameras? It's insane how well they blend the footage, I never would of known half of these movies used a 7d because of how well it looked like film.

In what scenarios would they decide to use these cameras over their film cameras?

They're generally used for three main reasons:

• When there is a high risk of the camera being trashed during the shot; when they can't risk an Arriflex, or similar setup, getting trashed.
  • When there is a need for something to fit in an extremely tight space, where again, something like an Arriflex, Panavision, or Alexa setup wouldn't be anywhere near cutting it.
  • When there is a need for POV shots; below are examples from "Act of Valor" and "The Avengers". The camera spotted on the car in "The Avengers" was actually digitally erased.

YmDTL.jpg

Jonathan-Taylor-puts-a-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-II-into-the-action-on-Captain-America.jpg

It's insane how well they blend the footage, I never would of known half of these movies used a 7d because of how well it looked like film.

It really is amazing. The 7D is so popular because of the ability to use PL mount (and other) cinema lenses. I don't understand why the 60D hasn't been used as a C-cam. My guess is because it uses SDHC cards. I'm sure the operators using the DSLRs like to keep integration of CF cards between the 7D, 5D Mark II, and 1D Mark IV.

Yeah I was wondering that too. I thought the 60d would be more popular because of the swivel lcd and manual audio controls. But they use external monitors and audio so I guess that's why. If you have ever seen breaking bad I think they use the 7d and 5d alot. Alot of the episodes have timelaspes and shots with the camera in tight spots. I think it's amazing that DP's can use a small camera such as the 7D and use it with cameras that are almost 30x the price. It just shows that film making is evolving into something great. It's exciting to think what they will be using 15 years from now.

• Like 1

i know its not a movie, but some episodes of house have been shot on a 5Dmark2

Yeah alot of shows use the 7d and 5d now.

It really is amazing. The 7D is so popular because of the ability to use PL mount (and other) cinema lenses. I don't understand why the 60D hasn't been used as a C-cam. My guess is because it uses SDHC cards. I'm sure the operators using the DSLRs like to keep integration of CF cards between the 7D, 5D Mark II, and 1D Mark IV.

Build quality.

Yeah I was wondering that too. I thought the 60d would be more popular because of the swivel lcd and manual audio controls. But they use external monitors and audio so I guess that's why. If you have ever seen breaking bad I think they use the 7d and 5d alot. Alot of the episodes have timelaspes and shots with the camera in tight spots. I think it's amazing that DP's can use a small camera such as the 7D and use it with cameras that are almost 30x the price. It just shows that film making is evolving into something great. It's exciting to think what they will be using 15 years from now.

Breaking Bad is my favourite show!

• Like 1

Build quality.

Breaking Bad is my favourite show!

Haha it's amazing

• Like 1

Love breaking bad. I can never stop myself from ignoring what's happening in the show and examining the way it was filmed.

Love breaking bad. I can never stop myself from ignoring what's happening in the show and examining the way it was filmed.

Haha I do the exact same thing. I have actually learned a lot of stuff about cinematography from that show.