SkatePerception
TuneBomb

Random Photo Discussion

(my x100 viewfinder both electronic and optic crap out when I try to shoot vertically now. anyone know what that's about?)

one of the settings uses the sensor next to the viewfinder to determine whether things should display in the viewfinder or the LCD screen. i've never had this issue but it could be that when you are shooting vertical you're holding the camera at an angle that doesn't activate the sensor.

try changing the view settings

one of the settings uses the sensor next to the viewfinder to determine whether things should display in the viewfinder or the LCD screen. i've never had this issue but it could be that when you are shooting vertical you're holding the camera at an angle that doesn't activate the sensor.

try changing the view settings

That's what I thought it was at first as well but turns out that's not the case I guess. It does it randomly, and the EVF will close that little hood over the optical viewfinder and kinda stay stuck like that for a little bit. Such a bummer because I've been getting this thing repaired since I got it. If it were more reliable I'd like it so much more than I already do.

what's that bracket terry richardson uses to mount his flash called again?

• Like 1

is that the only one on the market or is their cheaper alternatives? i'm unsure what to search for.

I love Amazon, just bought a C.M. Russell/Sam Abell's WEST for 71 cents.

Who on here has had a ricoh grd? Never really new about them till a few pages ago, looking for some opinions on them. Found one for fairly cheap, so far I think it'd be a good pocket camera for this summer.

• Like 1

is that the only one on the market or is their cheaper alternatives? i'm unsure what to search for.

You could probably make one for ~$10. Hit up a hardware store.

• Like 1

So, I just got back my first Hassy roll and I noticed that some of the negatives had some blue vertical stripes on them. Not sure if it's the film back, the lab or if it's the lens (highly unlikely). What you guys think? Also, they didn't put the negatives in protective sleeves so there was a lot of dust and tiny scratches on the negs... Luckily this was just a test roll to check lens sharpness at different apertures.

13426584334_b4101592a5.jpg

So, I just got back my first Hassy roll and I noticed that some of the negatives had some blue vertical stripes on them. Not sure if it's the film back, the lab or if it's the lens (highly unlikely). What you guys think? Also, they didn't put the negatives in protective sleeves so there was a lot of dust and tiny scratches on the negs... Luckily this was just a test roll to check lens sharpness at different apertures.

13426584334_b4101592a5.jpg

Are they all backlit like this one? Hasselblads have a tendency to exhibit "body flare", where if a light source is flaring up in your lens, you can get vertical lines from internal reflections in the camera housing. Even Zander is not immune. You can see on the very edge on the left side in the center of his shot that there is some flare and a hard line as well - it's caused by a flash in this case. Since you have a large, soft light source backlighting your subject, the effect is larger and more diffuse in your shot.

Try something with less backlight and no light sources in the frame or near the frame edges and see if the same thing happens. When I shot with my Hassy regularly I was constantly having to flag off lights if they were pointed near the lens - even with a hood, they're prone to flare.

• Like 3

I think I broke my wrist yesterday...shooting just got really hard to do : (

^dang, that sucks, get an x-ray to get that checked.

Bronken wrists tend to be a pain in the ass if not correctly healed. Sometimes years after having it broken it starts hurting as hell and you might have to do surgery.

Check it and make sure it heals properly.

I broke my wrist skating when I was 16 and my mom didn't believe me that it was broken so she refused to take me to the doctor because she didn't wanna pay a copay. She gave me a small brace and I kept falling on it. A month later the pain was so intense I had to go to urgent care and they rushed me into emergency surgery because they said the bone was very close to dying and my wrist was at risk of fusing. Now I've got a screw in there holding the bone in place.

• Like 3

I broke my wrist skating when I was 16 and my mom didn't believe me that it was broken so she refused to take me to the doctor because she didn't wanna pay a copay. She gave me a small brace and I kept falling on it. A month later the pain was so intense I had to go to urgent care and they rushed me into emergency surgery because they said the bone was very close to dying and my wrist was at risk of fusing. Now I've got a screw in there holding the bone in place.

Holy shit, that suks dude. I had the same thing happen playing pickup basketball a few years ago, and I tried to leave it be for some 4 hours after, till my whole arm was numb and shooting in pain at the same time (I know that sounds weird, but that's the best I can describe it). Went to the ER, and it turned out I had broken my scaphoid, which is the worst wrist bone to break. Was given the option of 6 months in a cast, or emergency surgery 2 days later and 45 days or so in a cast, obviously did the latter and I have a screw in my wrist as well. Being dominantly left-handed, I was pretty much useless the whole time. Because I was working as a personal trainer then, it also pretty much spelled the end for that business, and then I never ended up doing physical therapy because I thought I could just overcome it through my own workouts. It certainly doesn't cause me any problems, but almost 3 years later, it does shoot with pain once in a while.

6 months later, I had my extremely terrible appendectomy, so after 19 years of never going to the hospital (at least for me I mean), I had two major surgeries in 6 months.

#LIFE

• Like 2

I think I broke my wrist yesterday...shooting just got really hard to do : (

I broke my wrist in October and it still hasn't healed fully. I did what Kevin did cause I thought it was just a sprain and fortunately it was healing correctly when I finally saw a doctor. Definitely get it checked out.

Holy shit, that suks dude. I had the same thing happen playing pickup basketball a few years ago, and I tried to leave it be for some 4 hours after, till my whole arm was numb and shooting in pain at the same time (I know that sounds weird, but that's the best I can describe it). Went to the ER, and it turned out I had broken my scaphoid, which is the worst wrist bone to break. Was given the option of 6 months in a cast, or emergency surgery 2 days later and 45 days or so in a cast, obviously did the latter and I have a screw in my wrist as well. Being dominantly left-handed, I was pretty much useless the whole time. Because I was working as a personal trainer then, it also pretty much spelled the end for that business, and then I never ended up doing physical therapy because I thought I could just overcome it through my own workouts. It certainly doesn't cause me any problems, but almost 3 years later, it does shoot with pain once in a while.

6 months later, I had my extremely terrible appendectomy, so after 19 years of never going to the hospital (at least for me I mean), I had two major surgeries in 6 months.

#LIFE

dude I broke my scaphoid too. I was in a regular cast for 2 months then a brace cast thing for like 3 months. My left arm is stronger than my right now because I had to do some much therapy training afterward.

Are they all backlit like this one? Hasselblads have a tendency to exhibit "body flare", where if a light source is flaring up in your lens, you can get vertical lines from internal reflections in the camera housing. Even Zander is not immune. You can see on the very edge on the left side in the center of his shot that there is some flare and a hard line as well - it's caused by a flash in this case. Since you have a large, soft light source backlighting your subject, the effect is larger and more diffuse in your shot.

Try something with less backlight and no light sources in the frame or near the frame edges and see if the same thing happens. When I shot with my Hassy regularly I was constantly having to flag off lights if they were pointed near the lens - even with a hood, they're prone to flare.

Yeah, all are backlit. Had no idea that was a problem with Hasselblads. Really useful info, thanks! Just shot another roll in completely different lighting. Going to get it developed soon - hopefully they won't look the same.