SkatePerception
TuneBomb

Random Photo Discussion

Surprised no talk of that new Sony A7R II thang. Any thoughts?

Optical VF?

• Like 1

The megapixel count is getting a bit out of control these days but I guess they're just getting really good a making sensors. That new 5d has like 50 megapixels. And everyone is hopping on the fuji game by ditching low pass filters in front of the sensors as well.

The megapixel count is getting a bit out of control these days but I guess they're just getting really good a making sensors. That new 5d has like 50 megapixels. And everyone is hopping on the fuji game by ditching low pass filters in front of the sensors as well.

it makes sense for fine art/billboard photographers and for the smaller companies to compete against medium format companies. for even magazine photographers anything above 24 megapixels even with cropping isn't necessary. the only thing i care about these days in cameras are color depth and not only the dynamic range but how the highlight rolls off. if you're shooting for the web/zines the a7s is fine, but you won't be able to print bigger than 8x12 @ 300dpi without a quality drop.

• Like 3

if you're shooting for the web/zines the a7s is fine, but you won't be able to print bigger than 8x12 @ 300dpi without a quality drop.

it's really amazing how film as a medium still creates something with more information than the average sensor.

there are still so many advantages to working with film if it's something you can manage in your life. every day i look forward to being able to shoot more film than i do now.

in other news i bought a cv40 ultron sl-I today. will let peeps know what i think about it when i get it.

chose the 1 because i'm using on d800 and the sl-II has a cpu on it meaning you can't use the aperture ring manually. what a fucking stupid thing.

in other news i sold albie the 35 cron and shipped. end of an era, s/o to chris lynch for showing it to me when it was for sale way back when.

in other news, port-aux-basques is the new d50

d50-1.png

d50-2.png

d50-3.png

• Like 4

it makes sense for fine art/billboard photographers and for the smaller companies to compete against medium format companies. for even magazine photographers anything above 24 megapixels even with cropping isn't necessary. the only thing i care about these days in cameras are color depth and not only the dynamic range but how the highlight rolls off. if you're shooting for the web/zines the a7s is fine, but you won't be able to print bigger than 8x12 @ 300dpi without a quality drop.

Yeah but megapixel count gets pushed as a high end feature for consumers who will never print and don't know better. Like the new sony phone is going to have like a 24mp front camera which does jack shit for me if the sensor is like a couple of mm^2. And I guess as things like 4k screens start becoming normal, digital technology might have to change more for better web display. I need to read up on exactly how senors work and all this stuff. If my next research project involves quantitative microscopy then I guess I'll have too.

I guess if they can increase megapixel count and everything else stays the same with the sensor then whatever. I want a full frame fuji X system body to be made.

chris lynch

What happened to him?

And why do all of nike's new skate shoes look like running shoes?

• Like 1

As much as I love just looking at gear I stopped paying attention to megapixels about 3 years ago. I have no idea how many megapixels any of my digital cameras are to be honest. I still cant believe fuji is the only company to put optical viewfinders on anything. Still dreaming of an OVF on a p&s that is actually pocketable.

Anyways... just finished scanning 13 rolls from home/nyc and about to start going through stuff/uploading. Also just shot 13 rolls on my road trip. damn. to peep the new photos as they go up @chasegrover_ on insta fools

• Like 1