SkatePerception
TuneBomb

Random Photo Discussion

Just saw your instagram post Kevin, thats a real bummer. Seemed like a nice dude, posts were always positive and with good humour. RIP.

I've gotten to know a lot of SP dudes in real life, and I'm thankful for that, but I got to know Chase in a very strange way. He rolled through Minneapolis in 2014 on his way home from Washington to Illinois, and he basically had time to go to one spot so we met up and I took him to a handrail spot where he shot a photo of his buddy. A couple months went by and we continued our casual internet friendship. Chase then asked me out of the blue if I'd be down to accompany him on a road trip from Illinois to Ellensburg, Washington to help him move back to school. For those who don't know, Chase was born with a serious heart condition. In 2012 he suffered from cardiac arrest while biking and was pronounced dead for 30 minutes. He was miraculously revived by medics and placed into a coma for a number of days. He came out of the coma somehow avoiding brain damage completely. The funny thing is, Chase didn't tell any of this to me until we had arrived to Ellensburg, just in time to move into his new apartment. So after 3 days riding across the country in a packed little car, he decides to drop that little tidbit on me, haha.

I spent nearly 6 hours in IKEA with him shopping for furniture and random shit to fill his apartment. And it was the best because we'd shoot photos of all the crazy weird shoppers we'd see and would end up forgetting why we were there in the first place. Chase and I really got into photography around the same time so we'd stay up late in the hotel after a day of driving watching videos of Gilden and Winogrand and just fucking nerded out. I stayed with him out in Ellensburg for like 5 days after the 3 day road trip and it was truly a trip of a lifetime. Chase stayed with me for 3 nights this summer on his way back to Illinois and we had plans of taking another road trip together.

Yes, this website is weird. But it is so wonderful that we are able to cultivate real friendships and relationships that exist in the flesh because of this place.

• Like 14

used to pop me questions in the middle of the night and id think "oh here we go chase" dude was seriously awesome and always made light of his heart condition. i joked about my shit legs and he joked about his stamina. seriously just fucking bummed out.

• Like 3

Whoa.... This place trips me out. My wife asks me why I follow these random people on facebook and instagram, and it's weird knowing it all came from this place.

Dang.

• Like 2

I'm gonna miss talking about portra 800 with you and how to push film and our constant arguing about whether the contax t3 (that I sold you :P) was better than the yashica t4. this is such a fucking bummer!

• Like 3

never even really knew him but this makes me super bummed. RIP chase.

I honestly feel weird commenting on this, but I kinda feel compelled:

Look, I'm not gonna pretend like Chase and I were friends or anything, and there were many times I implied my disdain for his character etc.... that being said, I can say with a lot of confidence, Chase was a very decent person, who truly meant well, and cared about others.

I don't know what to say beyond that, because at some level, I feel profoundly guilty that I never got to know him beyond what I just described, but I think Kevin did a very good job of defining what Chase meant to the community, as corny as that sounds, and the impact on his death upon us all.

I have lived through seeing a few SPers die within my time on here, none of whom I was close with, but the fact is, everyone still posting here probably knows who Chase is, and interacted with him.... and it is such a tragedy to be sitting here writing this, but I'm doing the best I can.

RIP Chase.

• Like 9

Really bummed to hear about Chase. I didn't know him very well, but from the little interaction we had he seemed like a really great guy, who had a ton of knowledge about skateboarding, photography and art. To all of you who knew him well (either in real life or on this forum), I'm sorry for your loss.

RIP Chase.