SkatePerception
TuneBomb

Random Photo Discussion

If we can take away anything from what we knew about Chase is that it seems he knew his time could end anytime, and that he lived a life where being happy was a priority.

Don't wait to be happy guys, don't put it off.

Live your life with happiness as a priority (fulfilling happiness, not extravagance).

Chase did and it shows in the relationships he had.

Anyone can die at any time, for any number of reasons, don't postpone your happiness.

• Like 8

I have no words that don't sound like the complete wrong thing to say, other than R.I.P. Chase

• Like 1

After reading Kevin's post on the top of the page, my heart sank as I clicked back to page 1042 to see what was going on.

My thoughts are with the guys here who lost a friend.

TuneBomb has got it right.

• Like 2

R.I.P. Chase

i love this community infinitely. i have skated with so many of you and likely will continue to do so

• Like 2

Some pages ago he was asking about the waterproof messenger bags and I asked why it has to be a messenger bag and he said yes, because he cannot wear a backpack because he has a defibrillator. I didn't know him but it's weird that he was fine just a month ago and now he's gone. RIP.

I'm unsure what Chase had, but if he had a previous heart attack and a congenital issue then I'd imagine you'd get an implanted defibrillator but if he had an external unit then I'm not sure what it was. It might have been an external unit for testing before they added an internal one.

I was in a cadaver lab today working on a cadaver and the instructor was talking about how death is natural and these people chose to donate their bodies so you can learn... I didn't expect to come home to this. Even though i didn't know Chase it's still weird that I responded to a post he made just a month ago. And now I'm just thinking how weird it'd be if one of the bodies was young, the one I was working on was 97. tuney's right, I know the cause of death for the body I was working on and it wasn't sudden. Chase must have known this could happen and it seemed to have a small effect on his quality of life, truly the way to go about life.

• Like 4

This always makes me happy. Our cameras can put us in some great situations.

Friendships, Relationships, Travel, Good Times...

We wouldn't be on here without the interests in cameras/skateboards.

Remember that.

• Like 2

rip chase :( such a good guy

just sold the JCH tap and dye strap he traded me a while ago :( damn

He said defibrillator when he typed it here. If if he had a defibrillator over a pacemaker I assume he was at risk for sudden cardiac death i.e. right ventricular failure for some reason. Basically he could have been extremely at risk V fib or V tac which is completely uncoordinated heartbeat and way too fast heartbeat, respectively. Pathological V tac leads to heart attack usually. I can think of a bunch of reasons for that but I'm not really sure about congenital heart issues, I'm a cancer/molecular biologist.

It's too bad donor organs are so difficult to find. Depending on what his issue was, Chase looks like the kind of guy you'd give a heart transplant too. Another thing I know about is stem cell biology, and stuff like this really makes me want to get into organ growing so that you could just grow someone like a Chase a new heart, from his own stem cells so there's no immune rejection. Easier said than done but let me put it this way, if you have kids, consider banking the chord blood.

• Like 2

he had an implantable cardioverter defibrillator. the walls of his heart were too thick (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy). it was a birth defect. its just harder for the muscles in your heart to pump blood, most people dont know they have it until they have a heart attack. which chase did almost 4 years ago. he fell on his bike on the side of the road and someone found him. he was declared dead for half an hour or so. as i learned from kevin however, chase got to meet the people who saved his life just this past summer. i remember seeing the gap in our facebook conversation, he just stopped answering for almost a week, then joked "i basically died". then proceeded to ask about medium format, something he could learn and be patient with since he could not spike his heart rate doing anything that uses stamina.

• Like 1

the walls of his heart were too thick (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy).

fuck. one of my best friends has this and says it's "no big deal" and "mostly fixed". i hope he's telling the truth.

• Like 1

Ahh that makes sense then. Pumping blood becomes weird with RVH but the real issue is oxygen tension. If you're heart is unnecessarily large, it requires an unnecessary amount of oxygen. That uses up so called 'reserve' oxygen, i.e. if at rest your heart uses 50 units of oxygen out of 100, it still has 50 to take form the blood in case you start exercising. An RVH heart doesn't have that leftover 50 to use because it's already using it. That's why it'd have been dangerous for him to get his heart rate up, his heart was already low on oxygen and there's none left since oxygen is flow limited. There's a lot of reasons for an ICD and that's one for sure. This kind of stuff was what my entire last semester consisted of.

fuck. one of my best friends has this and says it's "no big deal" and "mostly fixed". i hope he's telling the truth.

They can give beta-blockers, remove some heart tissue surgically, or use some kind of alcohol to kill some of the heart to stop excess oxygen use. So it is possible to mitigate it somewhat.

That's terrible, but further proof tunebomb was right. Even knowing that, looks like he did plenty of things he enjoyed, elevated heart rate or not.

Plus you guys were right, his ceramic stuff is really sick, might be overstepping my bounds a bit in trying to describe art but it looks very organic to me.

• Like 3

"If everything is bad, you're alive. That means more than most people realize."

This is from deep down his instagram. He seemed like a really good guy, rip.

• Like 3

remove some heart tissue surgically, or use some kind of alcohol to kill some of the heart to stop excess oxygen use.

yeh he had surgery a few years ago and he likes to drink so i rekn he'll be fine

I had only thought defibrillator were outside of your body so that is why I said Pacemaker. So gnarly man.

im positive chase told me it was an implanted defibrillator

hmmm damn. both of my grandparents and my mother have had to get those implanted. around 50 years old when they got them. im probably going to have to get one eventually unless i live a strict lifestyle to avoid it. chase had some really good values to live by. and to literally keep your health up, stop stressing! i try to let things flow by me instead of getting built up inside. definitely a hard blow to the sp fam.

RIP

• Like 1

I'm working on a book/zine (not sure which yet) of photos from our times together. It's pretty incredible the amount of images I made with him considering I've only spent a total of like 12 days with the guy. He took me to a lot of amazing places. I'll let y'all know when it's done.

• Like 9

Leica was demoing us a microscope today. We were talking about stuff, and it turns out another guy in the lab is intending to buy a hassy, prefers velvia, or maybe might want that Fuji G thing that's 6x7 or whatever. I asked if there were any deals on photo stuff, turns out they don't even get discounts. But there is a huge Leica store in NJ somewhere that sells used stuff.