SkatePerception
TuneBomb

Random Photo Discussion

Missed this place.

Are forums even a thing still? I mean I lurk slap and sometimes those other photography forums for info. Has social media killed the messageboard?

1 hour ago, rad said:

Missed this place.

Are forums even a thing still? I mean I lurk slap and sometimes those other photography forums for info. Has social media killed the messageboard?

I would say they are, and that social media has not killed them. There is a sense of community and identity within forums, especially one like this. A cohesive group can come together under one unifying board without judgment. It’s less about the personal details, where we look at people about more of what they contribute and what they share, rather than clicking on their name and learning everything about them. There’s more to it, but I’m having a tough time trying to figure out how to describe it. 

I just know that skateperception/jazzpush as facebook groups didn’t work and sucked. 

1 hour ago, AnthonyAllison said:

I just know that skateperception/jazzpush as facebook groups didn’t work and sucked. 

And reddit threads haven't been able to bring the caliber of conversation that I expect from this place. 

I know for me, it is more about hearing people's thoughts towards things. I find that social media is just that doesn't bring different perspectives. You have to go out of your way to look for any other kind of angle of a conversation. 

I think a good example was when we had a conversation about Ektachrome being discontinued. Everyone who had an opinion shared their thoughts and experiences about why it was so important. I like knowing that there are people who are willing to have a conversation about something rather then to let things just be in the worlds they live in. </rant>

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tats said:

And reddit threads haven't been able to bring the caliber of conversation that I expect from this place. 

I know for me, it is more about hearing people's thoughts towards things. I find that social media is just that doesn't bring different perspectives. You have to go out of your way to look for any other kind of angle of a conversation. 

I think a good example was when we had a conversation about Ektachrome being discontinued. Everyone who had an opinion shared their thoughts and experiences about why it was so important. I like knowing that there are people who are willing to have a conversation about something rather then to let things just be in the worlds they live in. </rant>

Great point on the lack of differing perspectives on social media. On Reddit, the heard mentality is exacerbated by the voting system, so I've never really seen meaningful dialogue between opposing viewpoints there either. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rad said:

Missed this place.

This is the question I battled with when I would ask myself if it was worth keeping the place alive.  

Social media is a time suck for sure, but part of me believes that the people that made this place tick may prefer thought-provoking conversation rather than watching some 15 second video and replying “bruh” followed by some emoji. 

I think 4chan and reddit made way to celebrating the existence of trolls; which, I think undermines what makes this place better. 

• Like 2

Really glad this place is back, not only because I have the same issues with Facebook/Reddit pages being just constant questions and no feedback, but ironically because I have a question that hopefully one of you can answer for me without calling me a cuck or something like that. (I hate the Facebook photographers groups) 

So I'm not as familiar with digital gear these days, my sister is studying abroad in Spain and wants a camera with wifi capability so she can upload/edit via her phone instead of a laptop. I know the Fuji X30 has this, but I'm not sure she'll need all the bells and whistles that comes with it. Any recommendations on something portable/affordable with wifi?? Thanks boys. 

Reddit is just a big circle jerk of internet culture and the voting system encourages people to feel very self important when they get votes. That drives their posting habits to post only things they think will make them more popular. I very rarely read reddit, it's only to figure out how to do things because the voting system does keep the shitposting down a minimum so it's easy to find help with lots of obscure things. 

1 hour ago, Jake J said:

So I'm not as familiar with digital gear these days, my sister is studying abroad in Spain and wants a camera with wifi capability so she can upload/edit via her phone instead of a laptop. I know the Fuji X30 has this, but I'm not sure she'll need all the bells and whistles that comes with it. Any recommendations on something portable/affordable with wifi?? Thanks boys. 

I guess the real question is what size of a camera she wants to carry around. I'm sure something like this is a good camera but you could easily get something used with a bigger sensor for that price. Plus if she plans to shoot in raw, there's no way a phone will like fuji raws. But the fuji phone app/cameras convert raws to jpegs and the jpegs are pretty good anyway. I had an x20 and wasn't particularly thrilled with it but I quite like my XE2 now, the sensor is much better, I'm thinking of getting an XE3 or XPro2 eventually. Nikon is supposed to announce some possibly retro styled mirrorless camera soon though.

• Thanks 1

so many beautiful names to see :')

im living over here in amsterdam. any one of you guys is welcome at any period in time, got a baller couch. my girlfriend just bought a Canon WP-1 and A-1 for us  :wub:

2018 underwater! im not coming up for air. R.I.P Chase!!!!!!! That legend told me about those camera. Pacific Ocean influence you fuckin heard!

wow guys, heres to a new one.

• Like 2

Anyone got any mail-in processing and scanning services they'd recommend? I had a few I looked into but can't remember any of them.

just buy chemicals from Freestyle Photo out in LA. self develop c41 bulk style

easiest shit ever

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jake J said:

I really liked my sony rx100 because of the frame size and just compact use of it. I know like mark 2 or 3 and up had wifi built in, but you could essentially always get a wifi enabled SD card if you were really looking for that feature with any digi cam.  I would definitely recommend a hard case especially when your throwing that thing around (they are kinda fragile). I know OGmike would be a good person to talk about this because he's had both fuji and sony I believe. 

17 hours ago, SteveLaClair said:

Social media is a time suck for sure, but part of me believes that the people that made this place tick may prefer thought-provoking conversation rather than watching some 15 second video and replying “bruh” followed by some emoji. 

This was my biggest gripe about social media. no one would actually say something other then "thats cool". I remember hanging out with kenisisfilms + dorsafl + DysFuNCtioNal337 I would always be worried about posting anything because I always felt like it was never my best. I could always add something that made it better. Thats what I like about this place is that it makes me have a objective look at everything that's posted other then "thats nice" at everything. Makes searching for good content more sweet when you can talk about it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tats said:

I really liked my sony rx100 because of the frame size and just compact use of it. I know like mark 2 or 3 and up had wifi built in, but you could essentially always get a wifi enabled SD card if you were really looking for that feature with any digi cam.  I would definitely recommend a hard case especially when your throwing that thing around (they are kinda fragile). I know OGmike would be a good person to talk about this because he's had both fuji and sony I believe. 

Holy shit, they make wifi SD cards??? Like I said, really been out of the digital loop. But yeah man! The rx100 was the first camera I thought of but wasn't sure about it compared to Fuji. OGMike, you back on here???

6 hours ago, Ivan Fucich said:

Canon WP-1 

post up stuff from this, i've been keeping my eye out for an underwater film cam for this summer. the nikonos things are expensive.

6 hours ago, Jake J said:

Holy shit, they make wifi SD cards???

The Toshiba ones were bought tech from eyefi wifi sd cards, which I owned and I still own and works well. I know now there are alternative options that work well also. 

6 hours ago, AnthonyAllison said:

post up stuff from this, i've been keeping my eye out for an underwater film cam for this summer. the nikonos things are expensive.

3236539808_5d72d95a44.jpg.08d60ec6f584895954369eebf581ec16.jpg5a630f1dbb3bf_ScreenShot2017-12-23at11_28_36AM.thumb.png.28b2f069c1b385acdd1814225abeb16d.pnghdr.JPGL35AWAF.jpg.11c452321577697f61561257755f78de.jpg

15 hours ago, Mikon said:

Anyone got any mail-in processing and scanning services they'd recommend? I had a few I looked into but can't remember any of them.

http://www.dwaynesphoto.com

Been using them for years, great folks. 

16 hours ago, Ivan Fucich said:

just buy chemicals from Freestyle Photo out in LA. self develop c41 bulk style

easiest shit ever

I would if I had time :/ 

1 hour ago, SteveLaClair said:

http://www.dwaynesphoto.com

Been using them for years, great folks. 

Thanks Steve, will check them out. 

10 minutes ago, Mikon said:

I would if I had time :/ 

what 20 something year old doesn't have time....? 

shit takes like 1 hour dawg, same as the CVS, get outta here with these excuses

bulk shoot, buy the not so expensive complete powder set, then ball out in your kitchen and get wasted

wife and 2 kids, mortgage, car lease, golf course every fuckin DAY Michael 

miss you buddy!

• Like 1