SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
Jake J

Books You're Reading.

picture30.jpg

a_farewell_to_arms.jpg

I always have a copy of One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest on the go. I am by no means religious, but that is my bible.

Okay, I've been reading some books lately and, spurred by the book Candy (Luke Davies, was made into a film starring Heath Ledger, Abbie Cornish and Geoffrey Rush, read and watch both) I started thinking, what's your take on nameless narrators? Pretentious or purposeful? I can see how they would create a sense of mystery or enable a reader to identify or immerse themselves better into the story or character but also, it kind of seems douchey to not even bother giving your character a name, or to not think of it as important. Thoughts and opinions?

Also, quick side bar on the subject of pretentious post-modernism, reading Old School by Tobias Wolff, and:

arts-graphics-2008_1130425a.jpg

Motherfucker looks like this and just flat out doesn't use any sort of quotation marks in the dialogue of this book, Come on dude you're at least forever years old, follow the elements of style. It's not fucking hip it's just confusing.

Book is good though, even if it does try a bit hard. Although the fact that it tries so hard is pretty meta. Anyway.

I have yet to see anything in there that isn't anything that hasn't been published by the press the day after the raid or could be damaging to national security. I haven't finished it yet but so far he's done a great job of just putting you in their shoes and that's it.

I'm planning on reading that sometime soon. That said, independent of the Pentagon trying to discredit the guy etc., it seems there is a pretty high likelihood a lot of his recollections are embellished... hopefully not to an extreme degree, but it's not like there are hundreds of witnesses out there who can refute his experiences. I'm sure it is still an interesting read, but I'll just have to remember to take it with a grade of saw I guess...

• Like 1

I'm planning on reading that sometime soon. That said, independent of the Pentagon trying to discredit the guy etc., it seems there is a pretty high likelihood a lot of his recollections are embellished... hopefully not to an extreme degree, but it's not like there are hundreds of witnesses out there who can refute his experiences. I'm sure it is still an interesting read, but I'll just have to remember to take it with a grade of saw I guess...

I don't know man, every ST6 and Delta operator I've met (I've met tons, know plenty) are the last people that are going to be hot shots and exaggerate BS because they don't need to. Just like the Kill Bin Laden book by "Dalton Fury" from the 2001 events in Tora Bora, the purpose of the publication isn't for any other reason than to set the record straight for the shooters on the ground that aren't able to do it themselves. While dickweeds in Washington will leak whatever they know, thus fucking the story up.

Mark Bowden (Author of Black Hawk Down) will have a book on this mission, I don't really see the value of it in comparison to No Easy Day. I finished this book and there wasn't anything that really stood out as unbelievable at all. In all honesty, beyond an extremely lucky chopper landing in the courtyard, there wasn't really anything that is remotely unbelievable.

on_intelligence.jpg

Jeff Hawkins speaks about the lack of a unifying brain theory, proposes a memory based system, including all the details of the mechanics and procesees occuring in the system. It makes so much sense. If scientist beging to mold research based upon this theory, the world will definetley change for the better.

I'm getting around to reading a lot of books I haven't before. It's just very difficult because I work so fucking much. I've always looked into this book, but just got around to reading it now.

The-Picture-of-Dorian-Gray.jpg

• Like 1

tell me how you like Dorian I've been meaning to read it. Also I have Ransom (Jay McInerney) and two James Bond's coming in the mail :excited: :D