SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
nico

Hi-8 Footage Effect

This effect has literally been beaten to death lately. It isn't even that cool. If you want that effect, by a VHS-C or Hi-8 camera to mess around with and do it legit.

• Like 2

This effect has literally been beaten to death lately. It isn't even that cool. If you want that effect, by a VHS-C or Hi-8 camera to mess around with and do it legit.

I do have a hi-8 camera thats how I made of of the stock footage

i can't wait for this editing trend to pass. the people who did it first.. it was sick... VHS tape, palace, bronze..i'd even go as far to say that the recently released literaly gay french edit was still sick but it's time for this shit to die.

• Like 2

Agreed, i also made a few edits similar to this, but all of this does not beat the originals, like Chunder, 56k and Sabotage 3. Yet I don't know whats worse everyone doing full videos of vhs footage, or the overlays. Either way its just a tool similar to the use of super 8, which i prefer.

• Like 1

My personal opinion on the hi-8/vhs footage:

Replicating the "look" isn't cool

Using an actual hi-8 camera is cool when used for a few skate clips, but I mostly like it when it's used for broll & lifestyle clips

An entire video filmed on a vhs cam is gay, there's no benefits really, it just looks way shittier than it needs to be

I enjoy the retro throwback feel when people use it sparingly, or to set a VIBE for their video

• Like 1