SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
DRP33

Technicolor Preset For Canon Dslr

I'd be careful with this picture profile.

I downloaded the first one they made, and you get banding issues in lowlight areas. Plus it destroys skintones, and it takes a lot of post work to bring it back.

It does seems to add latitude, but as soon as you put work into getting the skintones right, you lose the extra detail. It may just be my lack of colour correction skills, but I felt it was a waste of time.

I'd only use this profile if you a) have time to correct in post and b ) have the skills to correct it in post.

I see sooo many videos (including the above you've posted) where people don't really know what they're doing and footage comes out in a horrific grey destaurated mess.

I don't typically use this style for filming skateboarding but having a little extra latitude is nice for certain projects, I have noticed a lot more noise in shadows than with my custom picture style though.

I started using Flaat 10p instead of Cinestyle and do not regret my decision. I find it waaaaaaaay easier to grade in post, it preserves skin tones better. When using Cinestyle I couldn't get skin tones right, every person looked like a zombie in my footage. Noise in shadows is visible but I can get rid of it using Neat Video (for very noisy scenes in-built noise reduction + Neat Video gives me best results).

• Like 1

I started using Flaat 10p instead of Cinestyle and do not regret my decision. I find it waaaaaaaay easier to grade in post, it preserves skin tones better. When using Cinestyle I couldn't get skin tones right, every person looked like a zombie in my footage. Noise in shadows is visible but I can get rid of it using Neat Video (for very noisy scenes in-built noise reduction + Neat Video gives me best results).

cheers man mite have to give that one a shot

It's strange, I didn't like Cinestyle when I used it on my T3i, but I love it on my 5D Mark ii. The 5D Mark ii seems to retain more color information than the T3i when using cinestyle. I even find it looking very decent raw. Maybe it's all in my head, but the difference seems pretty drastic to me.

• Like 1

I personally Really Like It. The skintones seem Fine With my T3i. And as long as you shoot under an 800 iso it seems that the noise in shadowed areas isn't noticable

• Like 1

It's strange, I didn't like Cinestyle when I used it on my T3i, but I love it on my 5D Mark ii. The 5D Mark ii seems to retain more color information than the T3i when using cinestyle. I even find it looking very decent raw. Maybe it's all in my head, but the difference seems pretty drastic to me.

yeah i feel as though theres a bit of a difference too between my 550d (t2i) and 5dmkii.

That's interesting.

I've never actually used it on either 5Ds, jut going off experience from 7D days.

have you got any footage using it?

http://www.similaar.com/foto/flaat-picture-styles/index.html

Check this one out. its almost like technicsyle but it's backed by the developers at magic lantern and claims to make the image less nosier.

I just put in the flaat 10 profile but haven't tested it out yet. I did use technistyle with the Lut profile but it only works well in ideal conditions. But just general grading I guess it did its job.

Here's a video i did with technicolor and color corrected.

• Like 1

That's what I'm using. I can get waaay better results with Flaat10p than with Cinestyle...

• Like 1