SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
AKskateboarding

Hvx200 & Opteka .3x Vig Solution

Vig on the HVX / Opteka .3x looks horrible, but I found a solution to it. I was playing around in Magic Bullet Looks today and noticed that it had a lens distortion you can add to your footage. I added it to my look just to see what it did, and after playing with the distortion amount I managed to get rid of all vig on the .3x, while maintaining vertical height.

For this I set the distortion to:

Distortion: -31.3%

Flatten: 35.7%

PQTKnc.gif

It seems to be the happy medium, it pretty much ends up looking like a DSLR fisheye. You lose a little bit of horizontal width but its still much more effective than cropping or spending heaps on an xtreme.

I am currently editing a video with this "look" on all the fisheye footage, I'll post it when its up so you can see what it looks like.

Hope this helps!

• Like 6

Dude, we need footy. It might be a good solution but I'm afraid it stretches sides too much making it look like rectilinear distortion not barrel at all...

wouldn't this just essentially look like a wide angle, and wide angles look a bit funky for skateboarding sometimes. but it could look alright. can't wait to see some footy.

Yeh, It Looks Fuckin Siiick ! But Im Afraid Its Gunna Look Like The DGK Vid, VX1K Stretched. Post Footy !

I don't get how it would look like the dgk video? stretched vx footy and this would look completely different, the distortion isn't the same at all.

Just Looks Stretched A Bit.

Not at all really, with the 4x3 vx footy, when they stretch it to 16x9, the whole frame is stretched, making everything look wide. with this everything relatively in the centre of your shot stays the same ratio, just the edges are flattened out a bit.

Anyway, posting some muck around miniramp footy i got with it today in a second.

This works. As you can see, the skater is not distorted or changed at all after applying the effect with Magic Bullet Looks. The centre of the frame is still spherically distorted, the edges are just slightly stretched out like a wide angle, like the 8mm manybrand fisheyes on crop sensored DSLRS, which have a stretch instead of a spherical distortion. I doubt you would lose much quality, if any at all, with this effect.

• Like 1

It looks really great. I don't like Opteka 0.3x at all because of awful chromatic aberration but distortion after processing looks good. You convinced me to get 0.3x for my HMC ;)

I'm not the biggest fan of how it looks, but i've never really liked how the 8mm fisheyes on dslrs look. its still a cool way for you not to have that crazy vig though! props for trying something different.

I'm not the biggest fan of how it looks, but i've never really liked how the 8mm fisheyes on dslrs look. its still a cool way for you not to have that crazy vig though! props for trying something different.

Yea, i perfer this way, less headcuts. still, i will mess around with the settings and see if I can get a more distorted one maybe with a little bit of vig to try match the xtreme as best the .3x can ahah.

Yea, i perfer this way, less headcuts. still, i will mess around with the settings and see if I can get a more distorted one maybe with a little bit of vig to try match the xtreme as best the .3x can ahah.

yeah i love how my xtreme looks! but you probably don't wanna spend that much on a lens aha. interested to see if you can figure it out to make it look a little better.

yeah i love how my xtreme looks! but you probably don't wanna spend that much on a lens aha. interested to see if you can figure it out to make it look a little better.

Yea, would only consider buying it say if I won some money or had nothing else to spend it on. Would probably buy one if I was getting a job filming skateboarding/snowboarding.

What is your suggestion on making it looks better?

Distortion is ok, leaving some of the vig should make edges less rectilineary stretched but I'd just leave is without vig. I don't like HD footage with vig, even Xtreme bothers me... I'm shooting on 550D/8mm that's why.

Your footage looks good but I'd try to reduce some of the chromatic aberration and maybe sharpen a little bit.