SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
dcappetta

Sigma 10-20mm Or Rokinon 8mm

I just got paid and im really looking to add a lens to my setup(APS-C). I take both pictures and video with this camera, and im really on the fence between getting a fisheye or a nice wide angle for beachscapes. Assuming youre experienced or knowledgable with these two lenses, i am interested in your honest opinion on whether i should get the 10-20, or stick to my 30mm 1.4 and get the fisheye for video, because besides that and action sports photos the 8mm really isnt much use to me.

Thanks

stick to the 30 mil. you can stich panos and/or rectify fisheye photos. if all you need a wideangle for is landscapes you can just pano stich or rectify, wideangles i use only for tight spaces. you'll find lots of uses for the 8mil it's a lot of fun to use

I don't have experience with either, but the 8mm fish is a nice bit cheaper, and taking fisheye photo's might not always "work" but can for sure create some awesome images, even outside of action sports.

if you don't shoot a lot of skating ( not saying fisheye is only for skating) I would go with the 10-20. I had one to use for a while and it is a really good lens. Landscapes, and really just almost anything is great to shoot with it. They came out with a fixed 3.5 version a year or two back which is super good. It also made the price of the 4-5.6 drop significantly so you can pick up a used one for a good price.