SkatePerception
based god

Frezzi Mini Fill

I posted in Lighting but never got a response, the thread seems pretty inactive. So, I'm looking for as much information as possible on the Frezzi Mini Fill light. From what I've read it seems like the best light for a VX1000. I have absolutely no knowledge of the light/lighting in general, and need help finding out where to buy, which specific one/parts I need, any other information is appreciated. Also I read something about it needing to be modified... If there is a thread that already exists containing all this information please redirect me. Also looking on craigslist I found this: http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pho/3711811020.html

Is this what I would want?

Thank you.

Debatable. I never liked the way they look since they use MR16 lamps which put out a very narrow beam. Then there's the fact that they're tungsten and require large batteries. For skating, where color and spectral output isn't too important since you're not dealing with skin tones so much, I would say that LED's are the best option available.

Debatable. I never liked the way they look since they use MR16 lamps which put out a very narrow beam. Then there's the fact that they're tungsten and require large batteries. For skating, where color and spectral output isn't too important since you're not dealing with skin tones so much, I would say that LED's are the best option available.

Regardless can you respond to the my questions? What is the best LED light for a VX1000?

The Z96 gets a lot of praise. I don't have one, I have a CN170, but I hear good things about it.

The Z96 gets a lot of praise. I don't have one, I have a CN170, but I hear good things about it.

Ok. Can someone reply to my original post?

Sorry, I didn't realize that you'd more or less made up your mind already. That ad does contain the correct light but you might want to try looking for one without the softbox for a better price, nobody uses those.

You'll also need a battery. You'll have to decide whether you want to go with a shoulder pack or a belt. Take a look at the Bescor website for those options, you'll want something with a 4 pin XLR connector. B&H sells them in kits with an auto shutoff charger, anything ending with "ATM" will come with this. My preference is strongly for belts, what I used before I got an LED was just like this without the XLR out - http://www.bhphotovi...te_Battery.html

The only mod I can think of would be to get rid of the spill that it produces, which is essentially a bright ring of light outside the beam. A piece of blackwrap or even regular aluminum foil can get rid of this, overheating isn't really much of a concern for skate use since it'll ideally be turned off in between takes. Some people leave the spill there though.

Sorry, I didn't realize that you'd more or less made up your mind already. That ad does contain the correct light but you might want to try looking for one without the softbox for a better price, nobody uses those.

You'll also need a battery. You'll have to decide whether you want to go with a shoulder pack or a belt. Take a look at the Bescor website for those options, you'll want something with a 4 pin XLR connector. B&H sells them in kits with an auto shutoff charger, anything ending with "ATM" will come with this. My preference is strongly for belts, what I used before I got an LED was just like this without the XLR out - http://www.bhphotovi...te_Battery.html

The only mod I can think of would be to get rid of the spill that it produces, which is essentially a bright ring of light outside the beam. A piece of blackwrap or even regular aluminum foil can get rid of this, overheating isn't really much of a concern for skate use since it'll ideally be turned off in between takes. Some people leave the spill there though.

Thanks. I really haven't made my mind up yet I just wanted to get info on the Frezzi. How much are the ZR96 and CN170 Led lights? Where would be the best place to buy them, can you send me a link? If I do buy the Frezzi would it be better to just buy everything together? Where would be the best place buy that?

There's not much of an advantage to buying the Frezzi all inclusive or as separate pieces. One way or the other, it's going to cost a lot more than a cheap LED panel like the ones mentioned and will not have much more output.

As for the CN-170 and Z96, I'm not sure what they're going for these days. Just take a look on eBay, search for the model number and you'll probably get dozens of results.

There's not much of an advantage to buying the Frezzi all inclusive or as separate pieces. One way or the other, it's going to cost a lot more than a cheap LED panel like the ones mentioned and will not have much more output.

As for the CN-170 and Z96, I'm not sure what they're going for these days. Just take a look on eBay, search for the model number and you'll probably get dozens of results.

Would this work?: http://www.ebay.com/itm/F-V-Z96-Original-Professional-5600K-Lighting-LED-Video-Light-Camera-DV-Camcorder-/360631702703?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f75314af

If so, you think this is the best possible (LED) light?

Would this work?: http://www.ebay.com/...=item53f75314af

If so, you think this is the best possible (LED) light?

Like I said I don't own one, others can chime in on this though. Most people who have them are using them with DSLR's, if it's anything like what people say it is then it should be more than bright enough for a VX though.

This light was just recommended to me: http://www.bhphotovi...EG&Q=&A=details

Do you think it's worth the extra $100?

According to the specs, it puts out roughly 6 footcandles at 6 feet. NO THANKS...

Litepanels sacrifice output a more full spectral output. Again, not really necessary for shooting skating.

Like I said I don't own one, others can chime in on this though. Most people who have them are using them with DSLR's, if it's anything like what people say it is then it should be more than bright enough for a VX though.

According to the specs, it puts out roughly 6 footcandles at 6 feet. NO THANKS...

Litepanels sacrifice output a more full spectral output. Again, not really necessary for shooting skating.

Yeah I was just referring to when you said the Z96 got a lot of praise. Is the link I included the correct light though?

That's interesting that you don't think the Litepanels light is worth it, my friend swears by it.

Can anyone else confirm the link I posted is the correct "Z96" skamoe recommended? Does anyone have a different opinion about what the best possible LED light for a VX1000 is? Does anyone else not recommend/recommend the Litepanels LED light I posted from B & H?

Thanks for the help.

this is the original z96 light: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDV-Z96-Z96-LED-Light-for-EOS-550D-550D-5D-II-7D-New-/180900485083?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1e8257db

i have a cn160 and its really bright and costs less than the z96. from what i've heard the z96 has a better build though

Alright. Any other opinions on the which LED light is the best for a VX1? Also any more info/review on any of the lights mentioned above is appreciated ( CN170, Z96, Litepanels Micro,etc.)

The frezzi is the best light for the vx1. It has always looked the best over the years. People are just lazy now. LEDs but they only look good maybe 1/10 times with the videos I see. There is always a weird hue or an extreme color problem from not using filters.

The frezzi gives the brightest, most true white, when filming at night.

The frezzi is the best light for the vx1. It has always looked the best over the years. People are just lazy now. LEDs but they only look good maybe 1/10 times with the videos I see. There is always a weird hue or an extreme color problem from not using filters.

The frezzi gives the brightest, most true white, when filming at night.

Well, I made a whole thread about filters for LED's a while back. For some reason the lighting forum is set so that shit just disappears after a while, but a sheet of LEE 152 or 108 will do great things for LED's if you want to bring them closer to tungsten output. This isn't always the best way to go though, if it won't cause issues with ambient light, my preference is to white balance to the LED with just the minus green filter that it comes with, then warm it up a little more. You see, if there's any true white out there, it's actually daylight, this is what camera manufacturers have in mind too. When you balance to tungsten, a bunch of gain is added to the blue channel which can cause noise. A daylight white balance, which these LEDs are much closer to than any tungsten light, will lead to less noise since that's the native white balance of the camera (just like cameras have a native sensitivity).

Agree on your assessment that most people use them in ways that look like garbage. But by the same token I'd say that a lot of people use the Frezzi in a way that looks like garbage too! It's a very narrow beam, I often see it not focused on the board but more towards the knees, and people just leave the ridiculous looking spill that I mentioned earlier. I think if you know what you're doing, you can save yourself a lot of effort going with LEDs by not having to carry around a huge battery that will die after a couple hours tops, and you'll have something that might not have quite as powerful an output as a Frezzi but will certainly be more than powerful enough.