SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
TonyZ

Peleng Questions

So my Opteka 6.5mm got absolutely destroyed beyond repair yesterday (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m4_I9WVX_Y) and now I am deciding between a Peleng and another manybrand, I know there are heaps of threads but I have a few questions on the Peleng-

1-It's meant to be all metal, how much more durable is it than the manybrand? Could it take more of a hit? Is it a lot stronger or basically the same?

2-Some videos have hardly any vig while some have lots of uneven vig. I don't really want a lot of vig or uneven vig, if I was to buy one, what are the chances that I will get one with clean and even vig? I really don't want to run a great risk of getting bad vig.

3-Just how bad do the flares get? How big of a problem do they become? They seem like hardly a problem in some videos, while in others they are just terrible, what are some ways to reduce flares asides making a hood and stopping it down? How effective would a hood be?

All responses appreciated, thanks for the help guys!

1. My peleng has taken a hand full of lens hits and me basically slamming it on the ground and it still works perfect with no scratches on the glass.

2. I feel for the most part the vig is going to be even and small. from what i understand your vig will be different based on what mount of the lens you bought, and what sensor and body you have. Vig really isn't important honestly. I have never once watched a skate video and looked at the vig unless that shit was a fucking full circle or it was a video about the vig. I would just search for a video of test footage of the same body you have and it will probably look like that.

3.For me the worst place i get flares is at the skate park at night. During the day i really never get flares, if you are in a spot and you get a flare and you don't want it, just move to a different angle. flares really are not that big of a problem.

Thank you, and also, I heard it's better to get the native m42 mount version and buy a m42 to eos adapter, or should I just get the eos mount version?

Thanks

1-My Peleng definitely seemed to be more durable than any manybrands I owned, but I never had any hits to confirm that.

2-The vig is extremely inconsistant, from what I've seen. You can slightly adjust it by adjusting the mount, but it won't do too much. Most of it is luck. I'd say you've have a 35% chance of getting desirable vig, but you can always crop

3-I never really saw the flares as a "problem"; they were never bad enough to take away from the actual trick. I'd only consider them a problem for photos because they're more obnoxious in a static photos than a moving video. I made a hood for my Peleng and it didn't help what so ever. The only way to avoid flares is to avoid light sources from hitting the lens at those certain angles.

If I had to choose again, I'd definitely choose a Peleng.

I argree with both of the people who have posted. I have had two pelengs on my t3i and both had very minimal/ no vig. I actually like the flares but they rarely happen as bad as people say.

There's some recent footage.

Also, I think it's a really durable lens. I've had several hits and nothing has caused damage yet. The lens itself is actually heavier than the t3i.

• Like 1