SkatePerception
cooperslack

Little Filming Tips!

So, basically I felt like starting a little, but very useful thread about filming tips, such as little things you do to improve filming, quick tools, etc.

My example:

Recently I bought a new iPhone recently, and I bought a white case so that I'll always have something to white balance off of right there with me, all the time.

What tips do you have?

• Like 5

Close that LCD screen.

It makes no logic but it helps you film better.

And remember that closer doesn't always mean better if it requires fast, jerky movements.

That's not really cool tips, just stuff that you shouldn't do. Oh well.

let your hand be your third eye. when filming lines, point towards the waist. oh and bring a third shoe so you dont grind down your good skate shoe when you stop

• Like 14

This.^^ May take up extra room but will save you a bunch of money in the long run.

Always have an extra tape right next to you so that if somebody is getting super close to a trick you don't have to make them wait a couple minutes to go get it.

• Like 3

if you can somehow get your sunshade to not show up in the video, it can protect the front element if the fisheye gets knocked of. but for the love of god make sure its not in the footage

• Like 3

if you can somehow get your sunshade to not show up in the video, it can protect the front element if the fisheye gets knocked of. but for the love of god make sure its not in the footage

Nah dude. Lens hoods are totally in style right now. That square look is so tight.

• Like 5

Since my last post was so popular.... when the skaters are warming up, spend less time getting that hip insta pic and more time shooting broll related to the tricks they plan on trying. more broll is always welcome in the editing process. also when theyre warming up, scan the area and see how you're going to shoot the clip and what you could incorporate in your shot to make it better. think of filming as documenting and expressing creativity.

• Like 4

Since my last post was so popular.... when the skaters are warming up, spend less time getting that hip insta pic and more time shooting broll related to the tricks they plan on trying. more broll is always welcome in the editing process. also when theyre warming up, scan the area and see how you're going to shoot the clip and what you could incorporate in your shot to make it better. think of filming as documenting and expressing creativity.

dat insta pic is important doe

• Like 18

If you have a DSLR and you use an Easy Handle, keep the camera in the handle at all times. You never know when you're gonna have to film, so you have to be ready (mostly for hijinx really)

• Like 2

biggest tips:

-Go out and film. Learn from experience instead of sitting here on a fucking forum.

-Don't succumb to the belief that you have to film/edit to keep up with everyone else. Do things how you want to do them.

Hallelujah +10000
  • Like 4

Rethink every angle you choose for a trick, there are always other options, some that look better than others. Definitely create a film style for yourself

I always keep another battery in my pocket so in case i see my first battery about to die i have a quick change right away and dont have to go back the bag and make the skater wait

Filming Tip #1:

If you want to be a great filmer I suggest knowing your camera inside and out. Therefore i suggest breaking your camera into minuscule pieces and reassembling it. Then you can call yourself a real filmer.

• Like 7

dont be a pussy. get artsy with the zoom on them long lense shots!!!!!

Unless you rock that 18-55 kit lens.

• Like 7

Close that LCD screen.

It makes no logic but it helps you film better.

is that why you keep yours open in your picture? because you have logic?

• Like 1

how do you guys remember to turn off steady shot when switching lenses? by now I could make a fucking steady shot movie

When I was using my HMC150 and when I had a VX I just had a mental note in my head to always turn it off. I'd write it down somewhere too. Even if you do leave it on by accident it's not the worst thing in the world because you can always put a vig template over the wobbly vig you got from leaving steady shot on.

Another tip is don't care about if you can see the skater's face or not. Focus on making the trick look good. There's a couple of kids around my area who will film something from the worst angle just to get the skater's face in. It's not about making the skater look good, it's about making the trick look good and better.

• Like 1

When I was using my HMC150 and when I had a VX I just had a mental note in my head to always turn it off. I'd write it down somewhere too. Even if you do leave it on by accident it's not the worst thing in the world because you can always put a vig template over the wobbly vig you got from leaving steady shot on.

I was thinking about using the mk1 template but I have a raymod so it might look different. do you know of any raymod templates?

I was thinking about using the mk1 template but I have a raymod so it might look different. do you know of any raymod templates?

Make your own, or send me a screenshot of you filming something relatively plain, and I'll make it for you.

I personally like to check my colors alot when its partly cloudy because the lighting changes often and if your set for a brigher image and its cloudy it looks like shit

• Like 1

monitor your exposure every minute or so. definetly learn to film without the LCD or VF when you're filming fisheye. it can prevent damage to your camera and or lens from a hit as you have more reaction time. It isn't too hard to get down, you just have to know the width of your fisheye.

• Like 1