SkatePerception
dom_hurley

Vx2 Shutter Speed Settings

Can somebody tell me what is shutter speed and what settings should it be on durring the day and at night for a vx2?

• Like 1

If i'm correct the shutter speed doesn't matter too much because the footage is interlaced. When I had mine though I kept it usually about 1/250-1/500. Sometimes 1/120 at night.

@JaakkoSkates thanks, i don't mess around with it really but my friend told me i should change it at day and night

@JaakkoSkates thanks, i don't mess around with it really but my friend told me i should change it at day and night

Yeah usually you want to lower it at night so it lets it more light.

Generally, the rule goes that shutter speed should be at least double the frame rate.

Since your vx2000 shoots at 30fps, then you should set the shutter at 60 (1/60) at the lowest. Most people only set it that low at night, because it lets more light in and will be the least grainy. Most people leave the shutter at around 120-250 during daylight filming, although I know a couple people who prefer it at around 500-750 because they think it makes the footage look smoother. I don't see a huge difference honestly, but will set it at 250 or so if I plan to ramp slow-mo the clip.

VX's shoot at 60i, not 30p. I'd have to say around 500 during the day and 120 night, but it all depends on the lighting conditions at the time

• Like 1

My personal preferences:
Sunny day: 250 always

Dark/cloudy day: 180

Night (on-cam light): 90 or 100

Night (genny/spotlights): 180 or 250 if I plan on ramping, sometimes 125 if I really need it to be a little brighter

VX's shoot at 60i, not 30p. I'd have to say around 500 during the day and 120 night, but it all depends on the lighting conditions at the time

Yes, they shoot at 60i which is 30 frames per second.

NO IT IS NOT 30 frames per second. 60i looks much closer to 60p when you actually see 60i displayed as 60i. If it's on a computer / web, THEN it will look like 30p, but for a DVD it's not even close.