SkatePerception
Bonksz

Things To Look At While Buying A Vx1000?

I was thinking of looking for a vx1000 around fall. It'll give me enough time to get some money for it. Im not sure if there is already a post already asking this question but im gonna ask a few things im curious about incase there isn't a post like this

I looked around and some people say that their vx breaks a lot on them but others say theres is perfect. Is that cause the person doesnt know how to take care of the camera or is it just simply cause its old? What are key things to look at while buying a vx so i dont get ripped off and what would be a good fisheye to start with? I was thinking of getting the opteka 0.3x fisheye thats running for 200 right now on the canadian amazon site. I thought this would be a good thing to get during the mean time until i get money for a death lens. But i hear the bayonet for that is hard to find. Although im not really sure if the bayonet is something you need with the death lens. All of this vx stuff is very new to me so if anyone has time to explain the stuff i was curious about it would be really helpful and appreciated.

Also one more thing i forgot to add, could you re use a tape like 1 or 2 times or do you need a new tape each time one of them fills up? I hear the quality downgrades after you re use it after time. So would it be better to just keep re using a tape or buy new ones?

• Like 2

The Vx1000 is 18 years old. Forshure a delicate camera. If you take care of it right and baby it then it'll last you but if your playing around with it treating it like shit then its gonna cost you. Key things to look at would be to make sure everything works,make sure its in good condition. You shouldn't anymore than maybe 600-700 for the just the cam and some accessories. Vx1000 with a Mk1, most you should pay probably 900-1000. If your gonna get a fisheye don't pay 200 for an opteka that sells for 150 on the opteka website but if you can get your hands on an Mk1 get it. If you do get the Opteka,bayonet really isn't necessary with this lens. Bayonet is safer but with this lens your threads wont get ripped off, its not that heavy. And finally recording over tapes. Its not that the quality downgrades its just you could have glitches and the clips you filmed might end up fucked. I wouldn't recommend it especially since a 10 pack of tapes on amazon is only $20. Hope I helped and if you have anymore questions hit me up!

the vx1 is an old camera, old things break. some people get lucky and have no issues at all, while others are constantly facing problems. the serial number is a good thing to look at, and if possible, how many people have owned the camera. chances are that if you're the 2nd owner then the camera will have far less issues than if you were the 3rd or 4th owner. the opteka would be good to hold you over, but I would recommend moding it (look up modteka on youtube.) a bayo isn't necessary for the opteka so don't worry about finding one. i don't reuse tapes myself because that's a hard copy of the footage that you're guaranteed to have (you should be backing up footage on an external harddrive anyways, but technology fails.)

if you are set on SD but not necessarily the vx1, you should look into getting a dvx100. there are 2 models, the a and the b. they are way newer and the 72mm opteka looks super good on them. hope this helped

Could you show me the difference between the opteka footage to the modteka footage? You'd more than likely know more key points between the two that i might not notice

Edited by Bonksz

modteka will be way wider/distorted and have more vig. just plain opteka will little to no vig and not be all that wide

Oh okay, but i seen some people use a step up ring with a spacer and that seemed to look really good also.

I don't have that much money to dish out for a vx and a mk1. So i might buy a vx and a opteka lense to hold me over. If anything i could use my current t3i setup. But id love to use a vx regardless if i have a opteka or mk1 lens.

Haha yeah i know, hopefully when the time comes when i have the money to get the vx ill have a seller that includes the mk1 with it.

Make sure you find out what tapes the previous owner(s). If they say Sony, then ALWAYS use Sony premiums. With fisheyes, I used a opted a, then modded it. It smashed. Got a raynox and saw how shit it was and finally got a MK1. Best decision I ever made.

ALWAYS use a capture that has taken Sony premiums in the past.

Yeah i know about that haha, but what if the vx takes sony premiums and the cap cam takes another? Does that effect anything? Also is it worth it to just get the vx2100 and mod the opteka? It looks real nice. I didn't see nice vig when a vx1000 had a modteka on it. I also wanted to know is it cheaper and better to buy a broken vx and bring it back to life? I know im new but i like camera stuff like putting stuff back together and it would give me more knowledge about the camera.

Btw if i get a firewire to usb cable would that effect the footage or downgrade it at all? I dont have a firewire port in my computer but the old one i have has one that say 1394. Not sure which pin type it is.

Run a cleaner through the cap cam, as long as the VX doesn't get different tape types, then it'll be ok.

VX2100 is better for night shots and it's lower rate of issues, but the audio/video is slightly not as good if you don't manually set them, there's loads of threads about this, google them.

Modteka gives out vig, the video you were watching must've cropped or zoomed.
You could always put spacers on if it somehow doesn't though.

As far as buying a cheap broken VX and fixing it goes, it's really a lucky dip. You could luck out and buy a $10 "broken VX" which just doesn't have a working VF ribbon, or you could get a really messed up camera with battery compartment corrosion or fractured mainboards/CCD's.
Basically, if you can get a broken VX for under $120 or so, then it'll probably be worth buying and sending to Kerry at VE. I bought one for less than $20 and got it fully working with a $30 VF ribbon and a $5 head cleaner. It's really luck of the draw.

Firewire to USB doesn't work, I'm pretty sure all the editing suites you'd want to use expect firewire data to be streamed from the firewire port. Just buy one of these.

Unless you're loaded, owning a VX is more than buying a camera and pushing record, you really have to dedicate yourself to the camera with maintenance and babying. If you learn to use it, treat it with respect and aren't afraid to open it up and perform some simple repairs, then you'll be paid back with some great quality video.

• Like 1

certainly dont record over tapes. I did the same thing with my gs120 and now I have run into problems. also try not to play back your clips as much because I heard you can run into problems if you do it all time. stick with the same tapes. if you have to switch once then it probably wont be a huge deal but try not to because all tapes have different oils. if the oils mix it can mess up the heads