SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
DVX100Filmer

Deep Shit Going Through My Head.

Parallel Universes exist and one day we may visit them, experts say

By Dick Pelletier

Imagine if you could jump into a parallel universe where another you is living a far more exciting life than yours, and you could trade places if you like.

Researchers at the powerful new WMAP space telescope recently discovered a force 10,000 times larger than the Milky Way, which they believe is a parallel universe.

Other scientists have observed strange happenings such as the Andromeda galaxy, 2.2 million light-years away speeding towards the Milky Way at 200,000 mph, which can only be explained if gravity from an invisible universe is pulling the two galaxies together.

A growing number of scientists believe we are surrounded by an infinite number of universes that make up what is called "the multiverse." Theoretical physicist, Michio Kaku, suggests that another universe may be floating just a millimeter away on a "brane" (membrane) parallel to our world. We can't see inside it because it exists in hyperspace, beyond the four dimensions of our everyday reality.

Oxford University's Dr. David Deutsch believes a copy of you could be reading this article on a planet in another universe identical to ours, except this copy of you has just won the lottery.

Some physicists predict that you have many twins living in parallel universes. People with the same appearance, name and memories as you exist in these other worlds and some of them are making daily life choices different from yours.

This begs the question, "What might happen if our parallel selves met; would we combine our gifts of different life experiences, or would we compete against each other?"

Some speculate that a parallel world exists where there are no wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and no 9/11. In other universes, the Nazis won World War II and Japan occupies western U.S.

A few bold forward thinking scientists predict that one day, we will be able to communicate with, or even visit these parallel worlds through wormholes. Cal Tech physicist Sean Carroll believes it's not too far-fetched that in the future, someone will devise a machine that lets one universe communicate with another.

Other future watchers believe that tomorrow's technologies will help us create wormholes that would allow matter to pass through. People would enter a wormhole transport station on our Earth, and instantly exit into a different Earth.

Consensus among scientists has been that wormholes are so destructive that people would be torn to subatomic bits traveling through them. However, a recent paper by Utah University physicist Lior Burko raises the possibility that wormholes may not annihilate matter, and the potential for "universe-hopping" may one day be realized.

Imagine a future where our Earth evolved and we became a Type III Kardashev civilization, with space colonies established throughout our galaxy, and in command of awesome energy sources. In this future time, technologies could enable the creation of wormholes allowing routine visits to alternate universes. The possibilities are mindboggling.

Will travel to alternate universes ever happen? Positive futurists believe that with determination and good fortune, Earthlings will one day develop technologies that not only enable instant travel throughout our universe, but parallel world adventures could become commonplace in this amazing future.

• Like 2

Look past the details of a wonky discovery by a group of California scientists -- that a quantum state is now observable with the human eye -- and consider its implications: Time travel may be feasible. Doc Brown would be proud.

The strange discovery by quantum physicists at the University of California Santa Barbara means that an object you can see in front of you may exist simultaneously in a parallel universe -- a multi-state condition that has scientists theorizing that traveling through time may be much more than just the plaything of science fiction writers.

And it's all because of a tiny bit of metal -- a "paddle" about the width of a human hair, an item that is incredibly small but still something you can see with the naked eye.

UC Santa Barbara's Andrew Cleland cooled that paddle in a refrigerator, dimmed the lights and, under a special bell jar, sucked out all the air to eliminate vibrations. He then plucked it like a tuning fork and noted that it moved and stood still at the same time.

That sounds contradictory, and it's nearly impossible to understand if your last name isn't Einstein. But it actually happened. It's a freaky fact that's at the heart of quantum mechanics.

How Is That Possible?

To even try to understand it, you have to think really, really small. Smaller than an atom. Electrons, which circle the nucleus of an atom, are swirling around in multiple states at the same time -- they're hard to pin down. It's only when we measure the position of an electron that we force it to have a specific location. Cleland's breakthrough lies in taking that hard-to-grasp yet true fact about the atomic particle and applying it to something visible with the naked eye.

What does it all mean? Let's say you're in Oklahoma visiting your aunt. But in another universe, where your atomic particles just can't keep up, you're actually at home watching "The Simpsons." That may sound far-fetched, but it's based on real science.

"When you observe something in one state, one theory is it split the universe into two parts," Cleland told FoxNews.com, trying to explain how there can be multiple universes and we can see only one of them.

The multi-verse theory says the entire universe "freezes" during observation, and we see only one reality. You see a soccer ball flying through the air, but maybe in a second universe the ball has dropped already. Or you were looking the other way. Or they don't even play soccer over there.

Sean Carroll, a physicist at the California Institute of Technology and a popular author, accepts the scientific basis for the multi-verse -- even if it cannot be proven.

"Unless you can imagine some super-advanced alien civilization that has figured this out, we aren't affected by the possible existence of other universes," Carroll said. But he does think "someone could devise a machine that lets one universe communicate with another."

It all comes down to how we understand time.

Carroll suggests that we don't exactly feel time -- we perceive its passing. For example, time moves fast on a rollercoaster and very slowly during a dull college lecture. It races when you're late for work . . . but the last few minutes before quitting time seem like hours.

Back to the Future

"Time seems to be a one-way street that runs from the past to the present," says Fred Alan Wolf, a.k.a. Dr. Quantum, a physicist and author. "But take into consideration theories that look at the level of quantum fields ... particles that travel both forward and backward in time. If we leave out the forward-and-backwards-in-time part, we miss out on some of the physics."

Wolf says that time -- at least in quantum mechanics -- doesn't move straight like an arrow. It zig-zags, and he thinks it may be possible to build a machine that lets you bend time.

Consider Sergei Krikalev, the Russian astronaut who flew six space missions. Richard Gott, a physicist at Princeton University, says Krikalev aged 1/48th of a second less than the rest of us because he orbited at very high speeds. And to age less than someone means you've jumped into the future -- you did not experience the same present. In a sense, he says, Krikalev time-traveled to the future -- and back again!

"Newton said all time is universal and all clocks tick the same way," Gott says. "Now with Einstein's theory of Special Relativity we know that travel into the future is possible. With Einstein's theory of gravity, the laws of physics as we understand them today suggest that even time travel to the past is possible in principle. But to see whether time travel to the past can actually be realized we may have to learn new laws of physics that step in at the quantum level."

And for that, you start with a very tiny paddle in a bell jar.

Cleland has proved that quantum mechanics scale to slightly larger sizes. The next challenge is to learn how to control quantum mechanics and use it for even larger objects. Do so -- and we might be able to warp to parallel universes just by manipulating a few electrons.

"Our concepts of cause and effect will fly out the window," says Ben Bova, the science fiction author. "People will -- for various reasons -- try to fix the past or escape into the future. But we may never notice these effects, if the universe actually diverges. Maybe somebody already has invented a time machine and our history is being constantly altered, but we don’t notice the kinks in our path through time."

lying in my bed today it feels like my forearms can't loosen, i couldnt relax my hands if i tried. my tongue feels tense, i mouth my thoughts... it won't stop being tense i dont know

my heart beat is so hard it jars my spine, my head rattles... i anticipate each beat and stiffen my body, i can never relax. i use a fan to distract myself from the noise my body makes, vibrating in tension... but my tongue gives resistance, like a young child going to have a cavity filled, no cooperation

• Like 2

^^ How does it feel to know that your entire life is and has been a lie, based on your narrow-minded interpretation of a 2,000 year old book of fairy tales????????? That must suck, laugh out loud. #truth

• Like 2

#nogod #atheiswag #neildegrassetyson #euphoric

#ifuckinglovescience #generalizedhipviewofscience #toomanyTEDtalks

• Like 2

Universe is not infinite, in fact it's expanding rapidly into nothingness or other universes that scientists are still trying to understand. Even if the universe were infinite that does not mean that a clone planet is a certainty or even likely.

As for the issue of money, gold/silver/ect. are relatively worthless to begin with so in some ways people have always been pulling money out of nowhere. It does help to have a physical object backing our money but there are a ton of issues with this anyway.

"As for the issue of money, gold/silver/ect. are relatively worthless to begin with so in some ways people have always been pulling money out of nowhere. It does help to have a physical object backing our money but there are a ton of issues with this anyway."

Well SHIT, didn't realize ALAN GREENSPAN posted here. Tell us more about the trajectory of PRECIOUS METALS into 2020 and beyond, THANKS IN ADVANCE.

• Like 3

The universe could very well be infinite. What is the universe anyway? Just a figment of our imagination essentially, IMO...

Something about a tree falling in the woods?

"Even if the universe were infinite that does not mean that a clone planet is a certainty or even likely."

In an infinite universe it is a necessary certainty that not just one clone planet exists, but that an infinite number of clone planets exist.

• Like 1

"In an infinite universe it is a necessary certainty that not just one clone planet exists, but that an infinite number of clone planets exist."

3Bn1AgM.jpg

You know what is definitely infinite though? The Omniverse, AKA God.

To dive into infinity even more...you could say that an infinite number of clone planets would take up an infinite amount of space, leaving no room for the rest of the infinite universe...but wtf infinity

infinity is difficult

To dive into infinity even more...you could say that an infinite number of clone planets would take up an infinite amount of space, leaving no room for the rest of the infinite universe...but wtf infinity

infinity is difficult

#fail

^ What a classic. I'll be showing my grandkids that masterpiece. Shit was stuck in my head in 10th grade for months.

Yo, if time travel were ever to be a thing, wouldn't there be time travelers in our present now? Does this mean time travel is never achieved? Or maybe it is discovered, but universally BANNED because it could interfere with the fabric of space and time. That would be sketchy....

Technically anything is possible in our universe, but not everything is probable.

I don't sleep because I'm constantly thinking of specials, ordering, inventory, scheduling, and writing menus. And skateboarding of course.

The chef life sucks.