SkatePerception
chris9tophe

Need Help With Off Camera Flashes

The best advice I can give you is just stuff I've learned from personal experience.

I always like to have one main flash that will light up the spot my subject is skating and my second flash will be a rimlight and/or extra fill. For example, in your photos the skater is well lit but the transition is a tad bit dim. So I would set up one flash in the park pointed towards the transition and depending on how it's composed either use my second as a rim or fill in the skater a bit more. I know this isn't much but I hope it helps a bit.

I think you're off to a good start. Your flashes aren't visible in the photo which is a common mistake that beginners will usually overlook. The only other critique I'd have is to avoid having your shadow in the shot. It's a pretty easy fix, that could be resolved by moving a tiny bit (either you or your flash), or learning how to shop it out properly.

• Like 1

flashexample.jpg

the first shot: probably how i would of lit it, it's simple but effective. the one on the left would be in the bowl itself. It would have avoided your shadow and hopefully brought depth to the lighting. i usually try to live by this triangle, I didn't put a rim in this one as there isn't really anywhere to hide it. If the skater is willing to work with you, you could try putting it on the coping at the far side of the bowl and time it so he's hiding it. Hope this helps.

• Like 2

The best advice I can give you is just stuff I've learned from personal experience.

I always like to have one main flash that will light up the spot my subject is skating and my second flash will be a rimlight and/or extra fill. For example, in your photos the skater is well lit but the transition is a tad bit dim. So I would set up one flash in the park pointed towards the transition and depending on how it's composed either use my second as a rim or fill in the skater a bit more. I know this isn't much but I hope it helps a bit.

I think you're off to a good start. Your flashes aren't visible in the photo which is a common mistake that beginners will usually overlook. The only other critique I'd have is to avoid having your shadow in the shot. It's a pretty easy fix, that could be resolved by moving a tiny bit (either you or your flash), or learning how to shop it out properly.

Thanks for the help guys. I mean, these didn't turn out "horrible" for my first time shooting off camera flahses but I think this will definetly help