SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
sc89

Sigma 35mm 1.4 Or The Sigma 18-35mm 1.8? (d300)

I'm debating between picking one of these up for my d300 within the next few months. I just started looking into the 18-35mm tonight. From what I can tell there doesn't appear to be much of a significant difference in quality and sharpness. The versatility of the zoom would be nice but ultimately I want to go with the faster lens here.

I'm really torn between the two right now.

Is the 35 1.4 AF much better?

I would assume the 1.4 is also better in low light and I know could still use it should I ever decide to get a full frame camera (though I'm 99% sure that won't happen)

I enjoy shooting portraits too even though I don't do it often. I imagine the 35 1.4 would be better here, but 18-35 seems capable of producing nice ones at 35 1.8 ?

Right now my number one used lens is my 50mm 1.8, and my 10.5mm fisheye.

Any input would be appreciated! Otherwise I may just flip a coin.

I used to have the sigma 35mm 1.4, it sucks.. any results i got from 1.4 weren't usable.

I used to have the d300 and i'd really really recommend getting a Nikon 35mm 1.8 and the nikon 10.5mm.

I used to have the sigma 35mm 1.4, it sucks.. any results i got from 1.4 weren't usable.

I used to have the d300 and i'd really really recommend getting a Nikon 35mm 1.8 and the nikon 10.5mm.

Really? This one,

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/898836-REG/Sigma_340306_35mm_f_1_4_DG_HSM.html

or an older one?

I've heard nothing but good things about it. What was so bad about it for you?

I have the 10.5mm, but thanks, Nice lens for sure.

It's just pointless man, the extra money is not worth it. even with my 1.8 lens i try not to go below 2.8 to keep it nice and sharp. That's just my opinion though, do what you gotto do.