SkatePerception
Alex Donaldson

The Skater Reputation.

been talking to a girl for a while, even took her out a few times and tonight she tells me im "not her type" and shes "never been into skaters". this kinda got me thinking about other things. skaters no matter what, are judged to an extent by almost everybody off the bat solely for the fact that they ride a skateboard. some will say "dont mind them, they're closed minded fucks" but really. does being a skater make you look less professional... unappealing? ive also noticed that a lot of skaters (especially in my town) end up getting with below average girls and getting them pregnant at a young age or attracting pop punk stoner teen girls by the flock. i think this a reasonable discussion because i think everyone who skates has thought about this at least once. lemme get some opinions.

• Like 5

luckily lots of girls in my town prefer skaters. as for the rest of what you're saying, I agree. don't really care tho

dude to be completely honest with you, "your not my type" followed up with a "im not into skaters.." was her trying to lessen the blow of telling you she's not into you.

it's not because you're a skater.

• Like 10

tell her

tell your girl. girl ,

when we sit together close,

we melt into each other.

we are edged with mist.

we make an unsubstantial territory.

tell her, girl

you are the summit of my desires.

you bright Star. let me create you

• Like 3

Yo gang, I just got in, but lemme settle down and I've already got a banging thesis cooking up in teh brain. Stay tuned...

• Like 1

tbh man it just sounds like she needed an excuse to reject you BUT besides that

I think it's very region-oriented. Here in Miami, girls love skaters. I haven't been with a below average girl for a while. It's all based on how your local scene acts. Like, in small towns there's probably not a lot of skaters, thus making them seem like they're outcasts and assholes. But really, if anything defines skaters it's diversity, so yeah this girl just needed some type of excuse.

You shoulda hit her with the "well, you're single, so your type is obviously not working out for you"

• Like 3

i don't mean to be hostile i just mean that skaters usually didn't really care what people thought of them, they were indifferent to their image. The reason all these corporations are marketing with skateboards under their models is because they know that there is a substantial image and connotations associated to skating, all we do is perpetrate that image-based mindset when we ponder about how we look to the outside world.

in other words who fucking cares haha, just let the girls come to you. don't dwell on it

• Like 1

OP obviously just doesn't have swag. That's all dat matters. Not whether u skateboard or not. She was just letting you down easy, for the both of u. Btw, OP, how old r u?

• Like 1

let the girls come to you. don't dwell on it

u for real rn? 90% of the skateboard population is a bunch of ugly ass kids we gotta put in work to get girls

• Like 1

i don't mean to be hostile i just mean that skaters usually didn't really care what people thought of them, they were indifferent to their image. The reason all these corporations are marketing with skateboards under their models is because they know that there is a substantial image and connotations associated to skating, all we do is perpetrate that image-based mindset when we ponder about how we look to the outside world.

in other words who fucking cares haha, just let the girls come to you. don't dwell on it

Pretty much that. If you ask anyone in my town that knows who I am theyll tell you im a mad p0t head and shit. I hate weed irl. never been a smoker. I hear some off the wall shit about myself. Apparently when I was living in NYC I was actually in prison. Do I care? Na. Now people just think im that much gnarlier B)

• Like 1

Pretty much that. If you ask anyone in my town that knows who I am theyll tell you im a mad p0t head and shit. I hate weed irl. never been a smoker. I hear some off the wall shit about myself. Apparently when I was living in NYC I was actually in prison. Do I care? Na. Now people just think im that much gnarlier B)

ur right people think im a drug addict that pulls hoes but im really a straight edge virgin

not gonna argue tho

• Like 2

You shoulda hit her with the "well, you're single, so your type is obviously not working out for you"

god that would have been perfect had i thought of it. on another note i dont think its about me. if she didnt like me i dont think she would have talked to me 24/7 for like a month and then went out with me. pretty sure it has to do with her being new (actually from miami) and skaters are basically thought as the scum of the earth here in central TX so it might be that. peer pressure bullshit to have the douchiest jock BF. but its whateva, ive moved along no fucks given. high school girls dont know what they want.

• Like 1

god that would have been perfect had i thought of it. on another note i dont think its about me. if she didnt like me i dont think she would have talked to me 24/7 for like a month and then went out with me. pretty sure it has to do with her being new (actually from miami) and skaters are basically thought as the scum of the earth here in central TX so it might be that. peer pressure bullshit to have the douchiest jock BF. but its whateva, ive moved along no fucks given. high school girls dont know what they want.

damn thats really weird that she's from MIA and doesnt like skaters. In one week i usually catch like 50 "i love skaters" tweets. Anyways, yeah just move on, she's a hoe. Miami girls are always hoes.

• Like 1

you're only cool in Miami if you skate a penny board or longboard, other than that they go for the traditional CCS model skateboarder, who DOESN'T skate

nawww not in my area. Girls love coming through to Sunny park to watch sweaty ugly dudes skate. Gets them weak. I know what you mean tho, with appearance. But it doesn't really matter. If you start talking to a girl, and she finds out you skate, she will 100% ask you to teach her. That's an open door to dive in the booty.

• Like 1