SkatePerception

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jame s

How To Do The Selective Color Effect...

Alot of people have seen the popular effect where part of a picture is in black and white and part is in color. I'm going to explain how to do this, the easy way.

1. Open up Photoshop and open up the picture you'd like to use.

2. The first step is to select the part of the picture that you would like to stay in color. Do this using the magnetic lasso tool.

3. Now with the lasso tool still selected control-click on the picture and click Select Inverse from the pop up menu.

4. Now the part that you have selected should be what you want to be in black and white.

5. Now the only thing left to do is put the selected part into black and white.

6. Go to Image>Adjustments>Channel Mixer and select the little box that says Monochrome. Now the selected part should be in black and white with everything else in color.

7. Now perfect it by playing with the contrast and color mixer sliders. Once you have everything the way you want it select ok.

Here's what the final product should look like...

brianwenningswitchbluntslide2k.jpg

I know that there are many other ways of doing this, but I find this way to be the quickest and easiest. PM me if you want any help.

the way i do it is:

>open your picture in photoshop

>get the magnetic lasso and go around the image u want to stay in colour/ put in black and white

>go select>>inverse

lasso.jpg

>the go image>>adjustments>>desaturate

desaturate.jpg

and then you should have your image

perseption.jpg

this is a very similar way to jame s, but its just an example of another way of doing it.

Yeah, I just did mine really quick, and that wasn't the greatest picture to use either. It's pretty hard to lasso around a furry dog, i could have gotten every little edge, or done it the lazy way, as you can see, I did it the lazy way. Knowles did his the exact same way as me, except I just changed it to black and white using the Levels controls. However, he did it with a much better picture so his came out much better.

yeh it probley is, but its a very easy pic to use as an example. any way it isnt a compotition to whos picture was "harder" i was just showing what i thought was the easiest way of doing it

good job sir... i did it exactly as you said it...i forgot to get the loop under my arm though...

cparphotoshopped.jpg

so how would you do in video....with motion and everything? There's got to be an easier way than just doing everything frame by frame. That would take forever!!

desaturate is a better setting, but also dont restrict yrself to one selection tool. the magnetic lasso is ok for simple things, but u can use any of the lasso tools to get an exact selection. iv never dont this selective colour thing before, but i knew how it would be done, cuz it's simple photoshop selection stuff. didnt mean to sound like a dick.

Someone already wrote a tutorial on how to do it in After Effects here. I'm going to post a thread on how to do it in Final Cut though.

Guest Mushroom

in fcp put on3 way color correction then scrooll the 3-way color corrrection box down and select with the eyedropper tool the color you want to see. then move the saturtion slider to the left and the lumos one to the lefts aswell. then click the key icon.

in fcp put on3 way color correction then scrooll the 3-way color corrrection box down and select with the eyedropper tool the color you want to see. then move the saturtion slider to the left and the lumos one to the lefts aswell. then click the key icon.

Ok, i guess i won't post my contribution then haha.

i did this same effect.... except i opened the pic twice, one in normal colours and one in black and white.

i did a stamp effect from the black and white one to everything but the skater in the colour one.

but these ways seem a lot easier.

Guest Mushroom
Ok, i guess i won't post my contribution then haha.

hahaha, nah that was jsut a few sentences just to guide them.

didnt mean to sound like a dick.

nah you dont sound like a dick sketch, your right in saying it is a very simple thing to do. ive still got quite alot to learn about photoshop though.

me too. but i use illustrator and indesign all the time tho so only use photoshop to resize and correct photos or tint them

Doing this is extremly easy frame by frame comapred to a lot of other things you have to do frame by frame. Like he siad all you do is lasso it and then do inverse, Make it black and white.

u can do it in fcp, if there is a strong plain colour - a red tshirt, green sign, blue sky, whatever. i dont know how to to it, but my friend has done it - i think u use the chroma key and blue/green screen effects. not sure. the result is every thing is in b/w except the one colour.

i had an 8mm video camera years and years ago and u cud set it to record in b/w apart from blue or red or green