SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
Bonksz

Things To Know About A Dvx100a/mk2 Setup?

Im getting a dvx100a tomorrow for 450 and it has 183 hours and it looks like its in really good condition so im gonna check it out and if its good im going to get it. I know the quality is nice cause i seen some good dvx100a montages but how good is the mk2 with it? I know everyone says vx1000/mk1 is the widest but how is this setup? Is it pretty wide as well? Im new to camcorders so it'll be new to me.

I'm not sure about the width because I've never used the DVX/Mk2. BUT my friend who recently stopped filming gave me his DVX Mk2 that I could sell you for relatively cheap if you're interested.

I'm not sure about the width because I've never used the DVX/Mk2. BUT my friend who recently stopped filming gave me his DVX Mk2 that I could sell you for relatively cheap if you're interested.

Nahh man, sorry. Im picking up the camera from someone tomorrow.

I had a DVX100b/Mk2 and i loved it. As far as wideness goes, i almost never had any issues. It was almost as wide as my Vx1/Mk1 setup. Overall great setup.

I had a DVX100b/Mk2 and i loved it. As far as wideness goes, i almost never had any issues. It was almost as wide as my Vx1/Mk1 setup. Overall great setup.

Alright, thanks for letting me know!

its dead equal in width if its unzoomed with with a vx1000/mk1. be prepared for a pretty big learning curve if you're new to filming. DVX's are pretty complicated if you don't know what you're doing. read up on DVXuser.com and you should be good with scene files, settings and all that good stuff.

• Like 3

I used to film with a dvx opteka setup and i loved it. Im pretty sure the mk2 is a tiny bit wider with a lot less vig. Listen to what alex said though, investigate about the camera and all of its settings. Its easy to make your footage look crappy if you just grab it and film, but with the right knowledge you can make it look beautiful :)

Yeah I know, I'm gonna do that. I'm getting it tomorrow and in gonna buy a few tapes and mess around to get a feel for the camera before the fisheye comes in. I hear that capturing the footage to the computer is bad so a cap can is a must isn't it?

Ehhhh its all personal preference. I hear some people capture their footage from their main cameras and dont have any problems while others do. You probably should though just to be on the safe side, you could find them for pretty cheap.

Yeah I know, I'm gonna do that. I'm getting it tomorrow and in gonna buy a few tapes and mess around to get a feel for the camera before the fisheye comes in. I hear that capturing the footage to the computer is bad so a cap can is a must isn't it?

yeah, a cap cam is a must for pretty much any camera that runs on mini dv tapes

Where would i look for one? On kijiji or something? You can't buy cheap mini dv cameras in stores anymore can you?

Where would i look for one? On kijiji or something? You can't buy cheap mini dv cameras in stores anymore can you?

nah DVXs are newer. wouldnt even bother with a cap cam. swapping tape lubrication from different cameras isnt a good thing. itll be fine without one.

• Like 1

nah DVXs are newer. wouldnt even bother with a cap cam. swapping tape lubrication from different cameras isnt a good thing. itll be fine without one.

You sure? I dont want this camera dieing on me for a while. If this shortens the life of it i might as well put a bit more money out for a cap cam.

You sure? I dont want this camera dieing on me for a while. If this shortens the life of it i might as well put a bit more money out for a cap cam.

these cameras are built to last 2000 hours with playback. so yes, you'll be fine.

• Like 1

these cameras are built to last 2000 hours with playback. so yes, you'll be fine.

but with all the shit we put our cameras through, it would be a safe thing to get a cap cam

• Like 1

It won't make any difference on a camera with only 183 hours on it. Guaranteed. Capture footage only once, don't play it back a gazillion times, and never re use tapes or switch brands. You will be FINE.

The fisheye is so close the exact same width as a mk1 on a vx1 that it's no difference. Switch from SD to HD fisheye is a change, this is just difference camera.

Back in the day there would have been countless replies in this thread telling you to just search instead of asking. It's weird how that stopped happening. I will say this, however, you will learn more about the camera just by using it and not knowing what you're doing a few times and then FIGURING IT OUT, than you will by asking us to tell you how to use it. 100 % guaranteed, using the camera > talking about the camera.

• Like 2

It won't make any difference on a camera with only 183 hours on it. Guaranteed.

exactly. you're wasting money with a cap cam. my dvx has 680 hours and i playback and capture.

Don't bother with a capture cam on a DVX, just save that money for a MK2. From what I've seen, MK2's on a DVX are the same width as a MK1 on a VX1. I've seen Alex Donaldson write somewhere before that the camera manufacturer wouldn't have a playback mode built in if it was bad for the camera. Its only bad for VX's (and other miniDV cameras like the VX) now because you cannot buy them new anymore and they've been out since 1995, so therefore parts to fix them are harder to come across.

Don't bother with a capture cam on a DVX, just save that money for a MK2. From what I've seen, MK2's on a DVX are the same width as a MK1 on a VX1. I've seen Alex Donaldson write somewhere before that the camera manufacturer wouldn't have a playback mode built in if it was bad for the camera. Its only bad for VX's (and other miniDV cameras like the VX) now because you cannot buy them new anymore and they've been out since 1995, so therefore parts to fix them are harder to come across.

Well..... wait what? No it's bad for the VX1 because the camera has been shooting on those heads since 1993 most of the time. This dvx is probably 15 years newer than whatever VX1 and that's why it can easily still operate as the manufacturer intended. We have "workarounds" to get more and proper usage out of the VX1. These workarounds are not to be confused with how regular cameras operate and how you should operate a regular camera. Skateperception's Misconceptions, you'll come to know them as you learn more about being a camera operator outside of skateboard filming.

but with all the shit we put our cameras through, it would be a safe thing to get a cap cam

I'm not sure you're totally aware of the purpose of a cap cam? The heads on cameras are being constantly used through recording, playback and capturing. Capturing footage for 20min is just the same as recording for 20min in terms of wear and tear on the heads. Older cameras (like the vx1000) that have been used a lot over the years are often in danger of having totally worn out heads, so it is necessary to limit their use as much as possible. Using a cap cam is a way of doing this. Newer cameras with 2000 hour life expectancies are not in very much danger and will be fine to capture from. It has nothing to do with "the shit we put our cameras through".

• Like 1