SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
Jay-Cub

Setting Up Your Flashes

Hey everyone, whats up?

So I was wondering how do all y'all set up for a photo? And by set up I mean after you've found your composition how do you set up your flashes and get the right exposure?

Do you use light meters?

Do you use a formula to get perfect exposure?

Do you just wing it?

All input is greatly appreciated.

Get Sekonic L-358 (or other adequate light metering tool with PC hookup)

Meter ambient. Example reading: 1/500 @ f/5.6 iso100

Setup front flashe(s) and adjust power until reading of ~f/8

Setup rear/rim flashe(s) and adjust power until reading of ~f/11

Take picture.

Let's say you guess and check like a noob. Your bro rolls up and kflip back noseblunts el toro first try, but your setup wasn't right. You gonna ask him to do that again? You're a dick on every level. Now, these are the settings that skateperceptioners of the past have laid down as good iirc. I personally like a little more subtlety with my flash powers and try to keep ambient a little closer to my flash power. Using the example above I would put my front flashes somewhere betweet f/5.6 and f/8 and my rear probably just above f/8. I think one of the biggest considerations is making sure the body parts that are closest to the flash gun don't get so much light that they are pure white.

• Like 1

Get Sekonic L-358 (or other adequate light metering tool with PC hookup)

Meter ambient. Example reading: 1/500 @ f/5.6 iso100

Setup front flashe(s) and adjust power until reading of ~f/8

Setup rear/rim flashe(s) and adjust power until reading of ~f/11

Take picture.

Let's say you guess and check like a noob. Your bro rolls up and kflip back noseblunts el toro first try, but your setup wasn't right. You gonna ask him to do that again? You're a dick on every level. Now, these are the settings that skateperceptioners of the past have laid down as good iirc. I personally like a little more subtlety with my flash powers and try to keep ambient a little closer to my flash power. Using the example above I would put my front flashes somewhere betweet f/5.6 and f/8 and my rear probably just above f/8. I think one of the biggest considerations is making sure the body parts that are closest to the flash gun don't get so much light that they are pure white.

but they took the rail out at el toro years ago....

• Like 2

Thanks guys! I've always wondered if there was a "right" way to do it, but I guess it just depends on the person.

If I'm shooting film, I'll place my flashes in the general area where I need them, walk to where the skater would be, take an incident reading of each flash separately, and then a combined reading facing the camera. In general, I'm aiming for at least a stop over ambient light during the daytime. I'll then walk to my camera and take a spot reading to make sure that all ambient shadows and highlights fall within the range of the film I'm shooting. If all is well, shoot, if not, tweak.

If I'm shooting digital, i throw up flashes, shoot, and just tweak in between shots. Nowadays, I usually do hypersync during the day, and standard sync starting at twilight.

• Like 1

the best photographers in the world are sooo precise with their shit.. moving flashes inch by inch just to get the perfect shot etc. it's really all about learning slowly on your own and on sp and eventually after many years hopefully you will become a natural at it.

cool thread.

I started off with sam mullers guide/formula but now i pretty much just guess.

once youve learnt how to use your flashes you'll know how they work and it's pretty easy to apply common sense to light the photo, i think. Obvsiouly doing test shots before the dude rolls up and kickflip back noseblunts el toro though. Talk to the skater and let him know when you're ready.. chances are he wants to get the photo just as much as you do.

• Like 1

cool thread.

I started off with sam mullers guide/formula but now i pretty much just guess.

once youve learnt how to use your flashes you'll know how they work and it's pretty easy to apply common sense to light the photo, i think. Obvsiouly doing test shots before the dude rolls up and kickflip back noseblunts el toro though. Talk to the skater and let him know when you're ready.. chances are he wants to get the photo just as much as you do.

Same here! I saw the Sam Muller tutorial thing and was super stoked on it. I