SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
joey9

Panasonic Gh4

I think it looks great, interested to see more images from it.

Surely they could've made the module a little more ergonomic or compact? That thing is hideous.

From what I've seen on DVXuser you can't do the 4k 4:2:2 straight up in camera, you've gotta have the grip thing. Then again why would you get it without? I'd love to have the dslm form factor but still have xlr and all

• Like 1

Meh. No RAW as of now, and possibly not ever due to card speeds of that size. RAW is way more important than 4k at the moment, IMO. And plus, rumors are that the body with the interface is going to be around $4k in which they compete against the C100 which is a pretty clear winner in my book.

I've been procrastinating on switching from my 60D to a GH3 for like a year, kinda glad I did now. I'm psyched for the improved performance of the new sensor, 1/250th sync for flash, improved rolling shutter, and 200Mb/s All-I. Hopefully the new AF will be useful for fast-moving stuff.

I don't think I will need the capabilities of the "brick" anytime soon, but I think it's a smart way to go for Panasonic. XLR and SDI aren't changing/improving every year or two, so there's no need to replace them on the same cycle as the camera body. I'm sure the GH5 and 6 will be compatible with it so it will probably be a long-term investment.

I don't particularly care about 4K personally right now, nor can I afford to upgrade monitor(s), TV, computer, and storage for it anyways. For me, getting 10-bit 4:2:2 HD through HDMI, to a small and light Hyperdeck or similar, will probably be more than enough. I'll play with the GH4's compressed 4K, of course, but I don't think the 4K switch will happen for me for at least a couple more years, and at that point I'll be getting a new camera anyways.