SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
lurkallday

Make Your Vx/ Hd Footage Legitimately Look Like Vhs Quality.

Here's a short edit I filmed/ edited. That skate footage is VX, the b-roll clips are filmed with an HVX. All you need is a VCR, a blank VHS tape, two RCA cables, and a capture camera.

Step 1. Open FCP, Premiere, Movie Maker, etc., and lay your clips you've already captured into a new timeline. When all the raw footage you want to use is in your timeline, you then "Edit to Tape". Make sure your capture camera is connected, insert a blank mini-dv tape, and click "Edit to tape". Some programs say different things, but I use FCP7, so I click "Edit to tape" to record my timeline to a tape.

Step 2. You'll need a VCR, a blank VHS tape, and two RCA cables (Red, yellow, white on both ends). Connect one end of one RCA cable to your camera and the other end to the "IN" jack on the back of your VCR. Plug the other RCA cable into the "OUT" jack on your VCR and plug the other end of the RCA cable into your TV.

Step 3. Power your VCR on, turn the camera on (make sure your camera is in playback mode, rewind your mini-dv tape to the beginning). Insert the blank VHS tape into the VCR, press play on your camera, if the footage doesn't show up on your TV, you need the change the channel on your VCR so it matches up to the channel on your TV. Keep clicking the channel button until the footage shows up.

Step 4. Press record on your VCR and record all the footage from you mini-dv tape. Once it's finished, hit the "STOP" button on your VCR, and turn both the camera and VCR off. You now have a tape with VHS quality footage on it.

Step 5. How do you transfer the footage to your computer? That's how I can help. You can order your own "VHS to MOV" converter on Amazon here (http://www.amazon.com/Honestech-VHS-DVD-7-0-Deluxe/dp/B00B5P23SG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392666333&sr=8-1&keywords=vhs+to+mov), or you can mail me your VHS tape and I will convert your footage for free. I can send you the .mov file via WeTransfer and it's ready to chop up and edit anyway you please.

E-mail me if you're interested. Also, if you don't have a VCR, VHS tapes, etc., you can e-mail me the raw clips or mail me a mini-dv tape, and I can convert everything for you.

E-mail: thomastucker89@hotmail.com

• Like 3

cant you record back to minidv from the vcr... then you could just capture that to the computer

Yes. You could possibly even go from vcr -> cap cam -> directly capturing in your editing program, skipping over the re-recording to a new minidv tape. tbh VCR seems kind of played out at this point, but still cool for some situations. sort of like a cop-out to making something look cool. (unless you actually use a VCR camera idk that's pretty legit as well)

• Like 1

Hell yeah, that's the way I figured it out, so I thought I would share. Your way sounds so much easier, that's why there's threads like this. Learn from mistakes and learn other peoples techniques. Thanks dudes!

the vcr you used to make this video must be old/crappy because i made an edit on my computer, then captured it to minidv and recorded it onto a vhs tape, and mine doesn't have all the fuzzy line flares and shit. mine still looks like its on vhs but the quality is way better than this.

the vcr you used to make this video must be old/crappy because i made an edit on my computer, then captured it to minidv and recorded it onto a vhs tape, and mine doesn't have all the fuzzy line flares and shit. mine still looks like its on vhs but the quality is way better than this.

Do you have tracking buttons on your VCR? If you mess with the tracking, you can get all those lines and flares and you have total control over where the video gets glitchy/ fuzzy. Some newer VCR's might not have tracking buttons, mine's super old, so that might be why.

Do you have tracking buttons on your VCR? If you mess with the tracking, you can get all those lines and flares and you have total control over where the video gets glitchy/ fuzzy. Some newer VCR's might not have tracking buttons, mine's super old, so that might be why.

yeah mine has tracking buttons, i just feel like the footage being on vhs alone achieves the "look" and all the tracking seems a bit much. its sick that your into vhs though, i feel like a lot of people like vhs but are too lazy to actually figure out how to do it haha

brush just add the video copilot twitch and some chromatic aberration from mbl and some fuckin post sharpness and some overlays and fuck bro so trippy. I'm glad we were the first people to think of this stuff. Lets keep it a secret ok?????? :~)