SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
jesseskates

Which Super 8 Film Should I Buy?

Im having some trouble choosing a super 8 film to purchase. I hear everyone say that ektachrome 100d is great but dont really want to spend that much. Ive seen some old expired kodakchrome 40 on ebay for cheap but im not sure what results i get. I dont want that square around the frame you see in some super 8 footage, is that related to what flm you shoot on? Im kind of confused on all of this. I plan on shooting with a canon 514xl

ektachrome has been discontinued as far as I know...

If you're shooting in daylight, get a roll of 50D

If you're shooting indoors or at night, get 200T or 500T

the D refers to 'daylight' balanced film, the T is for tungsten balanced film

If you want to shoot black and white, get tri-x, you can use that in any lighting condition

You can find all these films on B&H for between $20-30

and you shouldn't be getting a border or square around the frame with any of those films, can you post a screen grab of what you mean?

• Like 3

Thanks willhicks, im not sure how to post photos but it looks like the square you see in a lot of those 8mm apps people use with their phones

idk what's causing that but if you get your film processed professionally it should look normal. I'm guessing that was a result of either filming a projection or it was added in post..either way it doesn't look good, I agree

Willhicks, can you please explain to me what xls means in the canoon series. What is the difference between a canon 1014 and canon 1014 xls? Thanks in advance.

Willhicks, can you please explain to me what xls means in the canoon series. What is the difference between a canon 1014 and canon 1014 xls? Thanks in advance.

ha no idea sorry i have a minolta

xls = xl existing light ie low light / fast lens and s for sound

idk what's causing that but if you get your film processed professionally it should look normal. I'm guessing that was a result of either filming a projection or it was added in post..either way it doesn't look good, I agree

It looks like off the wall I've done the same

Weirdly viewed on my iPad with screen pinched out top to bottom it looks great

I'm pretty interested to get into Super 8 filming, it looks fun. I don't know anything about it though. When you send it off to be processed, how does it come back to you? on a disc/memory stick as a video file? How long does a roll last? i've seen on B&H it says 50 foot roll but no indication as to time.