SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
connorpeters

Ways To Reduce Lag With Dslr Clips? (final Cut)

I can barely even edit with this amount of lag. I shoot with a 60d usually at 720/60. should I convert to pro res before I edit? Ive done that and it helps a little bit but not a whole lot. I have a mbp mid 2010 with 8gb ram and i5 processor. i have a shitty graphics card so I think thats the issue. its a nvidea gt 330m. but ye Im considering clearing my whole comp in hope that extra files are slowing it down. let me know if you guys know anything that could help!

Idk Final Cut very much but I'm pretty sure that when I used FCP7 for a small amount of time that you can reduce the preview resolution which should make it play smoother. The clearing out your hard drive might do a little, but you can see if a RAM upgrade could help if you see if all 8GB are being used when the lag starts; Activity Monitor comes stock on OS X and it will show you this.

Though my experience was with Premiere and I don't know what your idea of unmanageable lag is, I doubt it's your graphics card because I used to edit on an iMac with a Core 2 Duo, 4GB of RAM, and Intel 4000HD graphics and Canon DSLR footy didn't play buttery but it played relatively smoothly and was very manageable.

putting your footage onto a fast external drive will help too. Your probably running a slow (5400rpm) internal drive. Get a cheap solid state or 7200 rpm drive via firewire 800. Use FCP to create optimized (prores) footage

5400rpm vs 7200rpm (and especially an SSD) wont make much of a difference with anything less than USB 3.0 because the bottleneck would be the interface (firewire 800 caps out around 60MB/s).

The read speeds are probably not the issue here because DSLR footage bitrates aren't that high; it mostly has to do with the processing power, so CPU, GPU, and RAM.