SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
chunkyy56

Does Anyone Else Hate Photography?

I'm not trying to be a troll by making this thread, but my feelings towards photography have drastically changed since I first started shooting 10 years ago. This isn't directed towards skate photogs at all, just to be clear. The act of constructing the photo is what I appreciate about the medium. This is about, more or less, "straight photography" or documentary photography, whatever. It bothers me that photographers take what they stumble across (ie. majestic landscapes and whatnot) and are credited with being a "great photographer", even though the act of taking the photograph is as simple as turning some knobs and pressing a button. It's like they are praised because they are given the opportunity to travel with expensive equipment and appropriate what is in front of them. It seems like a big cop out of an artistic practice to me.

Maybe I'm just an art fag, but I can't bring myself to appreciate a photograph solely for its aesthetics, and it angers me that the rest of the world (who aren't photographers) treat photographs in this way. Or maybe I just have to much exposure to Flickr. I don't know.

Does anyone else feel this way?

I don't really enjoy photography, it's just something which my brain forces me to do. i'm never happy with my photos and i don't really enjoy looking at other peoples photos for the right reasons, i only look at them to study technique. Landscapes are the only type of photography that i actually find myself enjoying looking at for more than 10 seconds. Hopefully one day i'll enjoy it more but until then i'll just keep on shooting until it's not an addiction anymore.

• Like 5

I think its more important about the work one produces that makes a good photographer or photograph. A monkey can take a photography, I think its the delivery on a consistent and fluid body of work that really matters, in my opinion. You should worry about your own work and why you loved photography and not everyone else. Theres always going to be that kook. No a days everyone is photog, with the filters and the exposure like van styles and 13witeness or w.e. they get these sick opportunities it looks like and its just cityscapes and landscapes, too me its just a fad right now. Thats why there need to be people that push through that barrier. Photography can go beyond that I think.

I think its more important about the work one produces that makes a good photographer or photograph. A monkey can take a photography, I think its the delivery on a consistent and fluid body of work that really matters, in my opinion. You should worry about your own work and why you loved photography and not everyone else. Theres always going to be that kook. No a days everyone is photog, with the filters and the exposure like van styles and 13witeness or w.e. they get these sick opportunities it looks like and its just cityscapes and landscapes, too me its just a fad right now. Thats why there need to be people that push through that barrier. Photography can go beyond that I think.

True. Instagram is likely the largest factor forming my opinion. But on the other hand, there's still those "professional" photographers who take O'Keeffe style photos of flowers in their studio and call it "fine art". Come on, dude, Weston did that in the 20's. I just feel that photographers get so full of themselves by catering to an audience that doesn't know anything about photography, thus perpetuating the cycle of what is "good" (to the public), and what is progressive (to people who understand photography).

But that mindset has nothing to do with photography in itself. I can guarantee you that anywhere you will ever go and for anything you will ever do, some people will settle for the cheapest and most available option as the highest attainable, for whatever reason.

• Like 5

given the opportunity

I think the second you start resenting other photographers for having different opportunities, especially if they're receiving more praise than you, you're dead. Most of us aren't given these opportunities, we have to work for them. Sure, there may be shooters out there who were born into wealth, or maybe they didn't have to work as hard as you for a shot, or they have more connections and are more well-known, but it really doesn't matter. It's up to you to even the score. Establish what motivates you to shoot and do it on your own terms.

• Like 2

But that mindset has nothing to do with photography in itself. I can guarantee you that anywhere you will ever go and for anything you will ever do, some people will settle for the cheapest and most available option as the highest attainable, for whatever reason.

My rant has nothing to do with money. It's about mindless praise and elevating something that's been done a hundred-billion times to the ranks of "fine art", whatever that is now. I believe people need to think about what they're looking at instead of simply saying "that looks cool", or "I like this". This issue is becoming more and more important as our society changes into an image/data based culture.

I think the second you start resenting other photographers for having different opportunities, especially if they're receiving more praise than you, you're dead. Most of us aren't given these opportunities, we have to work for them. Sure, there may be shooters out there who were born into wealth, or maybe they didn't have to work as hard as you for a shot, or they have more connections and are more well-known, but it really doesn't matter. It's up to you to even the score. Establish what motivates you to shoot and do it on your own terms.

Yeah, you're right. The more I rant about photographers, the more I feel like the bad guy.

• Like 1

I believe people need to think about what they're looking at instead of simply saying "that looks cool", or "I like this". This issue is becoming more and more important as our society changes into an image/data based culture.

Most people do this, though, and have done it for a long time. It's been this way in music and other art forms for decades, centuries even. You could argue that modern society is experiencing an art "brain drain", but you still can't foist a higher standard on the masses - they won't understand you.

My rant has nothing to do with money. It's about mindless praise and elevating something that's been done a hundred-billion times to the ranks of "fine art", whatever that is now. I believe people need to think about what they're looking at instead of simply saying "that looks cool", or "I like this". This issue is becoming more and more important as our society changes into an image/data based culture.

I understood, which is why I used the word cheap...

Just in case you don't know:

cheap |tʃiːp|

adjective

2 of little worth because achieved in a discreditable way requiring little effort: her moment of cheap triumph.

• deserving contempt: a cheap trick.

• N. Amer. informal miserly: she's too cheap to send me a postcard.

I understood, which is why I used the word cheap...

Just in case you don't know:

cheap |tʃiːp|

adjective

2 of little worth because achieved in a discreditable way requiring little effort: her moment of cheap triumph.

• deserving contempt: a cheap trick.

• N. Amer. informal miserly: she's too cheap to send me a postcard.

Thanks, bud.

I'm not trying to be a troll by making this thread, but my feelings towards photography have drastically changed since I first started shooting 10 years ago. This isn't directed towards skate photogs at all, just to be clear. The act of constructing the photo is what I appreciate about the medium. This is about, more or less, "straight photography" or documentary photography, whatever. It bothers me that photographers take what they stumble across (ie. majestic landscapes and whatnot) and are credited with being a "great photographer", even though the act of taking the photograph is as simple as turning some knobs and pressing a button. It's like they are praised because they are given the opportunity to travel with expensive equipment and appropriate what is in front of them. It seems like a big cop out of an artistic practice to me.

Maybe I'm just an art fag, but I can't bring myself to appreciate a photograph solely for its aesthetics, and it angers me that the rest of the world (who aren't photographers) treat photographs in this way. Or maybe I just have to much exposure to Flickr. I don't know.

Nicolas%20Cage%20laughing%20like%20a%20m

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0oOPP9XG5v4

• Like 3

fuckkkk i had a whole thang written and I accidently deleted it. In short, I do not feel this way at all. I cannot agree with pretty much anything you wrote. Why do you care if other people are being praised for their work? I think photography should be about recognizing great photographs, and not recognizing great photographers.

Documentation and appropriation are two entirely different things.. you may think it's a "cop out of an artistic practice", but not all photography is art. You're making way too many broad generalizations, like the rest of the world who aren't photographers don't appreciate photographs in the "right" way. That just seems so ignorant to me.

I sort of agree with your overarching message here, and I think instagram and the oversaturation of photography as a whole is partly to blame. At the same time, hate the player, not the game. There are plenty of things to love about photography. I'm not saying you're an art fag, but this post really makes you seem like one.

Everything is going to be done a billion times. It's what happens when pretty much everyone in a first world country has a camera in their phone and most people have dedicated cameras. Even if I did something for the first time the instant I share it on the internet, someones going to do it too.

Man those were the days!

I just need to remind everyone about this post.

-Thanks

TuneBomb

• Like 4

fuckkkk i had a whole thang written and I accidently deleted it. In short, I do not feel this way at all. I cannot agree with pretty much anything you wrote. Why do you care if other people are being praised for their work? I think photography should be about recognizing great photographs, and not recognizing great photographers.

Documentation and appropriation are two entirely different things.. you may think it's a "cop out of an artistic practice", but not all photography is art. You're making way too many broad generalizations, like the rest of the world who aren't photographers don't appreciate photographs in the "right" way. That just seems so ignorant to me.

I sort of agree with your overarching message here, and I think instagram and the oversaturation of photography as a whole is partly to blame. At the same time, hate the player, not the game. There are plenty of things to love about photography. I'm not saying you're an art fag, but this post really makes you seem like one

First of all, thank you for responding constructively. I don't care that photographers are being praised. What I do care about is photographers who don't think about what they are doing (besides making a photograph look pretty) being praised by people who don't think about what they are looking at. Bottom line, I just feel that people don't think anymore. Call me ignorant but this comes from exposure to the internet and social media (like you said). And I think it's important to understand a medium (ie. mechanics, how it conveys information to the viewer, etc.) before calling yourself "professional". I guess this is impossible now with digital.

Sorry for bitching everybody. Guess I just need to accept the world the way it is.

Quit taking shit so seriously man, find a new hobby cuz you sound like a huge douche ranting about this.

the world is a beautiful place, & youre a fuckin kook if you think documenting it is lame!

i hate the conotation photography has with doing bad things or capturing bad things. i can never take a photo now without the subject thinking it's because i've caught them doing something bad/ thinking that i see some sort of spectacle in their being and me taking a photo is my way of capturing this spectacle so i can post it on the internet and make fun of them.

this is only in refrence to "street photography" i guess since i never really speak with my subjects except when they accoast me.

recently I've been shooting a lot of refugees from foreign countries staying at this center near my house. I've come to learn that they hey all have this idea that I'm shooting them for some negative reason.

I've given up shooting/attempting to shoot black people because all of them have gotten very upset with me. Literally evey single one has given me shit because I'm white and they view it as some white kid taking photos at a museum or something/ for the novelty of it? they all get very upset and take it they wrong way...

i blame the police.