SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
chunkyy56

Frame Building

I figured there should be a thread about framing, so here ya go. I just built these frames this week, and I'm pretty psyched on how they came out, since my only power tool was a scary 50 year old table saw.

15168154304_0713540842_z.jpg

15602713878_290c64c02d_z.jpg

These were surprisingly easy to build, and took 2-3 hours of labor each, so if you're interested in building your own, GO FOR IT. It's fun. And cheap. Also if you have any knowledge of building frames, contribute.

• Like 10

You did the 45 degree miter cuts with a table saw? Looks great man. How is the glass inserted? Did you do rabbet cuts around the inside back edge?

bruhs saying contribute but the bruh aint contribute his own techniques bruh

Ha sorry boys. Yeah I made a miter sled that I use as a 45 degree angle template kind of thing. I can take pics of it when I get home. The black one was the first one I made, so it's a little sketchy. The glass is permanently wedged into a slit that I cut with the table saw. Not the best technique for making a frame, but I sold it to a friend who hopefully won't break it. Anyway, I cut the wood with the jig, then used a corner clamp and glue on each corner. Before gluing the last side of the frame on, I slid the glass in and glued the last two corners. I taped the edges of the glass so I could give it some sanding and painted it. The mats just slides in through the back and is followed by a piece of masonite (or backing board), and these are held in by wire brad nails, or whatever their called. Just little, skinny nails. For the hanging wire, speaker wire is a perfect alternative to wire that's sold as hanging wire. They sell it at Lowes and Home depot for 35 cents/foot, and it's able to be split in half so you get twice the length you paid for!

Let me know if any of y'all are interested in a tutorial or something like it. I'm going to build another one soon, so I could document the process.

• Like 3

Alright I will! I'm going to be out of town this weekend though, so I'll put something together next week.