SkatePerception
pmflaherty

Leaving Dslr For Zoom Handle Cam

Ok so i havent been on here since my vx days but I've come far from then. Been filming since the 90's so I'm no rookie, however I really don't even know what the newest HD zoom cams are. I know that the HPX is kind of the standard, right? Right now I have a 70D and gopro4. I don't even have time to take photos with the Canon and to be honest, I really don't like the picture quality of the video. It's great for things other than actions sports, such as artsy stuff and all that but I've become quite fond of the higher frame rates at 1080. I would love a cam that shot 1080/60 that is a zoom handle camcorder. I could spend a few grand. I guess my question is, are there any camcorders that are new or coming out that I should know about? I heard gopro wants to expand into something that will change the game forever that is compact, has a handle, and shoots in high frame rates at extremely high resolutions, built for action sports. Until that day I want to move away from my DSLR. Oh, and if you just shit on this post with some dumb response making fun of me for just not knowing, then you can suck it because I'm just asking and I admit I'm not up on everything because I'm out in the world filming and skating. I'd just really appreciate some insight.

HPX170 is dope for skating as it's a bit lighter than the older HVX's. I use it and am pretty down with the quality and the handle zoom.

If he wasn't happy with the 'quality' of the image from the DSLR I doubt he will be a fan of the low resolution HPX.

Don't get me wrong, I have a HPX and I love it, but it doesn't provide better quality than DSLR in terms of resolution.

• Like 1

HPX170 is dope for skating as it's a bit lighter than the older HVX's. I use it and am pretty down with the quality and the handle zoom.

The hvx is so heavy. I get sick of filming lines after about 30 minutes

The hvx is so heavy. I get sick of filming lines after about 30 minutes

Man up! Do some press ups :) it is heavy but you just need to build yourself up strong enough to hold it then you can get used to it!

Man up! Do some press ups :) it is heavy but you just need to build yourself up strong enough to hold it then you can get used to it!

Yea its not as bad as it used to be. I lift and shit but its still a pain in the ass nonetheless.

Oh, and if you just shit on this post with some dumb response making fun of me for just not knowing, then you can suck it

Easy there.

If he wasn't happy with the 'quality' of the image from the DSLR I doubt he will be a fan of the low resolution HPX.

Don't get me wrong, I have a HPX and I love it, but it doesn't provide better quality than DSLR in terms of resolution.

Don't confuse contrast with resolution. I'd be surprised if a 70d is actually sharper than an HPX.

Look into the Panasonic AC160. It's pretty similar to the HPX170 but shoots 1080/60. I just got one recently and would recommend it. It also uses the same Xtreme as the 170 if you decide to go that route.

Easy there.

Don't confuse contrast with resolution. I'd be surprised if a 70d is actually sharper than an HPX.

True, but don't confuse resolution with sharpness, either.

They both shoot the same resolution of 1920x1080.

But any camera with interchangeable lenses is going to have an upper hand on sharpness because sharpness relies mostly on the lens. But in terms of perceived sharpness I'd still put my money on the DSLR due to having the larger sensor size.

hpx is 1280 x 1080

I thought it was 1440 x 1080 actually, but the point still stands, it's not native 1920 x 1080, therefore a DSLR that shoots 1920 x 1080 will have a higher resolution than HPX. The resolution is pretty much the only thing that lets down the HPX (170).

• Like 1

I thought it was 1440 x 1080 actually, but the point still stands, it's not native 1920 x 1080, therefore a DSLR that shoots 1920 x 1080 will have a higher resolution than HPX.

Not necessarily, you'd actually have to shoot a test chart to see which camera has more resolution. I'm not sure about the 70D but I'm pretty sure the older APS-C cameras like the 7D and T2i were only good for around 700 horizontal lines. Sure, you start off with a huge amount of pixels, but a DSLR that's designed for still photography isn't going to have the processing power necessary to make the most of them in what gets recorded to the card.

All this is really beside the point the OP was making, that the large sensor DSLR's have a completely different look.

As far as I know, the HPX was the last camera to use CCD's, everything else going forward is all CMOS, so if you're worried about rolling shutter issues (which have become less problematic than they used to) that's probably the way to go. I don't know too much about the AC160, I'd imagine it would slightly outperform the HPX.

I will say the only video camera fisheye combo I've ever been impressed with is the HMC40/FC-E9. Everything else out there, even the xtreme, gives pretty nasty fringing towards the edges of the frame. I don't think I would go for that if you do lots of night work though, being that it only has 1/4" sensors that are native 1920x1080. Tiny pixels = less sensitivity, more noise.

• Like 1

panasonic hc-x1000. i got one about 3 weeks ago and its incredible. 4k at 60fps for only 3500 dollars. and its small and light unlike the hvx's but has all the typical prosumer camcorder features. it also is always internally recording 4k, so when your chose to shoot in 1080 or 720, it interally sub samples it and you get better chroma sampling. only downside is that its got a weird thread size (49mm) so its hard to find a good fisheye. i ended up getting the century 43mm .3x and theres tons of vig, but you can zoom past it no problem without issues. heres an edit i just made with it. a few shots are filmed with a t3i though