SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
dick fitzwell

How To Release A Full Length

I premiered a skate film a couple of days ago, and now i've gotta think about how to go about releasing it in this 'modern day and age'.

really i want as many people to see it as i can (locally at least), but i also hate the idea of it going up online as it's likely to be watched once and forgotten about. DVDs are great in one way as i like people having a physical copy which should be less forgotten about, but obviously they are hard to sell, and will leave a lot of friends never seeing it in the first place.

this made me think of the medium of an online download. i would think having the video on their computer would increase the longevity of it, compared to on youtube or whatever.

what are people's thoughts and experiences? how did you do your last vid and how did it go? has anyone released a download link as a donation based thing, like the MADE video was?

For my last full-length I had DVDs ready for the premiere where I sold them for I think $5. After that, local shops would buy a handful of DVDs for $5 and sell them for $8. The shops were a great way to get the video to a wider audience and actually sold quite well. I also released one part online every 2 weeks to keep the video relevant. Once all the DVDs were sold I released the video online for free. All I really hoped for was to make my money back on the DVDs, and once that was accomplished I just wanted everyone to see the video any way they could.

I think having something tangible like the DVD removes your video from the sea of independent videos released each week. And even if it doesn't get watched every day, skaters love to dig through old DVDs and VHSs, but not so much old web links.

• Like 6

Before the premiere I'll make a bigcartel and make sure it's ready to go.

I usually make 100 copies and have them available at the premiere. In the "premiere promo" I'll make sure to say that people can buy copies at the premiere. I typically break even on the cost of making the DVDs on premiere night ($10/copy).

The night of the premiere I upload the most attention-grabbing part (we had a section where we skated underground), which will build online attention. Include bigcartel link and shops that will carry the vid.

The day after the premiere I go to local shops and drop some off for consignment (10 per shop). We split the revenue 50/50, which is less than if I sold them myself, but it helps the shop and hopefully I'll have already broken even.

After all that there's usually a couple handfuls of copies left. Bring them to the park or wherever you skate and try to sell them to whoever's there.

Post the parts regularly (I have trouble with this). Ship out bigcartel orders. Make sure the shops have enough copies and pick up consignment money when necessary. Upload the whole thing when DVDs are dwindling and it feels right.

I've been thinking about somehow having the video available for download but I haven't figured out how to make that happen. I'm interested to hear how others go about doing all this.

Good luck!

• Like 1

sell them on dvd. sell them on a bigcartel website or if you have a premiere sell them their. there is noting like watching a skate video on dvd.

the homies just decided they would want to make a full length and we are premiering it at the local shop when its done and well probably have a few copies then upload it to the utubes after a month or two not really focused on the money part of a full length, i see brainsworld out now but its ten dollars plus shipping i think and i have no doubt in my mind that is a sick video but why not let people see what you filmed/landed idk im just thinking what comes to mind this might sound stupid but whatever yolo right

I'm making mine 100% free. I feel like people will be more inclined to watch

idk i like to wait and buy a dvd. just because you will appreciate it more and the quality is much better on dvd then youtube , etc

in what form though?

DVD of course. Eventually I'll put it up online once I go through my stock of physicals. That's just me though.

idk i like to wait and buy a dvd. just because you will appreciate it more and the quality is much better on dvd then youtube , etc

I think I'm making mine with the intent of being for free, however I'll make donations accessible. Maybe throw in some extra if I get generous amounts.

DVD of course.

i don't think that was obviously inferred. good for you though that's rad

Personally I really dig the DVD format. I really like the physicality of having a product especially when I've spent so long on a project. I usually try to upload parts gradually while still advertising the sale of the DVDs and put the full thing online when I've sold all my copies.

I understand the need for online content since thats largely what skateboarding is nowadays. But for me it always felt wrong to put a project straight to online, at least initially if it was a full length that took a good length to film and edit. Teasing with parts now and then helps build an audience outside of your local scene too that would want to buy copies.

It's up to you and what you think your product is worth and how you want to present it. I like DVD's because its something that will always be there and you can add bonus and whatever else. Online can get hype but can also be quickly forgotten or lost in the mess of web content.

• Like 3

I finished a video in January. I bought 60 blank dvd's and cases and burnt them at home. I gave them all away for free at the shop i work at and in person and even shipped out about 10 copies. Shipping costs 0.70¢ each in total it costed me about 37$ to give all of them away. I think theres alot of people that would've never got an oppurtunity to watch it if i charged money for them

• Like 2

I finished a video in January. I bought 60 blank dvd's and cases and burnt them at home. I gave them all away for free at the shop i work at and in person and even shipped out about 10 copies. Shipping costs 0.70¢ each in total it costed me about 37$ to give all of them away. I think theres alot of people that would've never got an oppurtunity to watch it if i charged money for them

Jeez I wanna know how you're shipping your dvds. Costs me about $4 to ship my DVDs

• Like 2