SkatePerception

I have a question/problem. I have a Panny agac160a. I bought the Opteka Titanium 0.3x 72mm that said it was for the HMC 150 & some DVX models. I have to use a spacer due to the metal cone that protrudes past the threads... and this is causing super vig - we're talking waaay beyond VX style vig! Of course I can zoom in a few notches to alleviate the problem, but that's kinda defeating the purpose, especially seeing how I was forced to buy the 0.4x back in the fall due to the 0.3s being out of stock! When I zoom in enough to fix it, I'm almost right back to where I was w/the 0.4x, which I was VERY unhappy with!

Funny thing is that the 0.4x fit perfect w/out having to use a spacer, but I had to use 2 to get the desired fisheye look?!

I had the HMC 150 and this lens fit w/out a spacer and the vig was borderline acceptable, with minimal zoom required to get the right amount of vig.

So I have 2 questions.

1; Is there a fisheye out there (that I haven't stumbled across)that's made for the 160, or one that'll fit w/out a spacer?

2; Is it possible (or has anyone tried) to mod the 0.3 using the 0.4's metal so that it'll fit the 160 w/out a spacer?

I'm gonna pull up the schematics on both lenses after I post, but a quick 'nope - can't be done' would save time and most importantly..money! Either way, I'll still be needing an answer to question 1!

Much Thanks in Advance - TLaR

...after skating for 30 years I figured, if I'm not gonna huck it, might as well film whoever is?! -Me

Yeah, I was just trying not to spend as much as I did on my camera, at least for now...

Well, as an update, I tried swapping shit from my 0.3 to my 0.4 housing/case/exterior and no luck. I knew it as soon as I put them side by side, just wishful thinking I guess. From having 2 different sizes of Opteka 0.3s, it's obvious that they're using the same glass w/all sizes to keep em' cheap?!

If you spent a lot on your camera and can't afford a fisheye, get a DSLR or something where you can afford a good looking fisheye, no point having an expensive camera without the glass to justify it. Unless of course, you plan to eventually have enough money for an Xtreme. Don't mean to sound negative. Hope that helps.

@santskatefly, I do have a DSLR but I have issues w/them due to the shutter circuit protection, especially since summer is around the corner. It shut down on me several times during a contest last summer, the East Coast gets so damn hot, I miss SD! I didn't work for several months to film, so that limited me to purchasing a shitty Opteka. Now I have problems w/that cuz` it was fine on my HMC150, but needs a spacer on my 160. I'm gonna borrow a GoPro on Monday & see how that works out for the fisheye and use my 160 for 2nd angle long lens. Like you said, using my Panny w/shitty glass defeats the purpose of spending $3500! It just sucks that one specific lens costs as much as my whole f'n cam! Have you used the GoPro and if so, you think its a good option for fish/following shots? I'll be using the new 4k model, but not on the 4k setting of course, I'll prob just use 720/1080 120/60/30 fps. I'll more than likely use 60/120fps in case I want to slow-mo? I've been skating almost 30 yrs, but filming for around 2 so... Hey man, thanks and any help would be appreciated!!!

P.S. eventually having the $$$ for the Xtreme is what I hope(d) happens!

Yeah DSLRs are not the best, especially if you're using them for a job that you NEED to film. I've got a GoPro4 black, I've never used it as a normal camera, only to get POV or otherwise impossible angles. It's obviously not ideal but you'd probably get away with it, using the custom presets. Make sure you limit your ISO and set an adequate white balance. I personally always film in 4K even if the project is going to be 1080 or 720. It allows you to grade the footage more, as you have more information in the file. Plus when you scale down to 720 it will look less like GoPro footage as the quality will be outstanding.

I've personally got tired of the Xtreme being so expensive and rare, it's a pain in the arse every time it gets hit. Not to mention it will probably cause me back problems later in life! I'm selling my setup and with some insurance money that I'm getting from my last Xtreme damage I'm getting an FS700. Then I can buy a reasonably priced fisheye (even if I buy the Canon which is an awesome lens it's only £600 instead of £3000). I believe the FS700 deliver a better image than the HPX could ever deliver anyway and it works with SD cards so no expensive media either.

Try the GoPro and see how you get on. If not, just get another Opteka for the time being, as you already have the camera. Half the time in the skateboarding community no one will notice or give a shit what fisheye you're using anyway, the most important thing is how you film, not what you're filming with.

While we're on the topic... I shot this last weekend with my scratched Xtreme and HPX 171: