SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
nicky

New Dvx200

Felt like it was worth a thread because of how popular the DVX100 was on here.

Here's the specs:

• 4K/60p recording
  • 13x optical zoom
  • Leica Dicomar 4K zoom lens with F2.8 aperture
  • V-Log L gamma curve
  • 12 stops of latitude
  • Price: under $5000

Here's an article on it:
http://nofilmschool.com/2015/04/panasonic-reveals-new-large-sensor-4k-camera-dvx200

• Like 2

carbon fiber is a nice touch, but why is the piece thats supposed to be dark gray, red? im thinking that alone will negatively impact its sales in a big way. might have to cop this cam in ~10 years when 8k is mainstream and the price goes down, then spray paint the gross red section to something more contemporary. lcd on the handle was also a poor choice, i'll probably intentionally snap that shit off so its not in the way anymore, like can an X-treme even fit on this with all that junk on the handle?

• Like 3

carbon fiber is a nice touch, but why is the piece thats supposed to be dark gray, red? im thinking that alone will negatively impact its sales in a big way. might have to cop this cam in ~10 years when 8k is mainstream and the price goes down, then spray paint the gross red section to something more contemporary. lcd on the handle was also a poor choice, i'll probably intentionally snap that shit off so its not in the way anymore, like can an X-treme even fit on this with all that junk on the handle?

I was thinking the same when I saw the fucking lcd screen

I was thinking the same when I saw the fucking lcd screen

for real. id be down to spend the money for one if the lcd on the handle wasnt there and if it could fit an extreme. either way, i think im set on finding out what the new balance guys used to make the VX-4000 video that was recently released

• Like 2

i think im set on finding out what the new balance guys used to make the VX-4000 video that was recently released

lol peeps are saying red epic. hope u got $50k.

• Like 3

lol peeps are saying red epic. hope u got $50k.

for real? haha yea ill pass. i dont even have 5 grand to my name

for real. id be down to spend the money for one if the lcd on the handle wasnt there and if it could fit an extreme. either way, i think im set on finding out what the new balance guys used to make the VX-4000 video that was recently released

I know a kid who worked on that I'll ask him but I'm pretty sure he has a hvx but maybe he got to use a red for it

I know a kid who worked on that I'll ask him but I'm pretty sure he has a hvx but maybe he got to use a red for it

Definitely a Red. You can see the 5" lcd.

Exactly why do people have a huge problem with the LCD being on the front of the handle? I guess it could make the camera ever so slightly more front heavy but to me it would seem like it could be easier to see when you're holding the camera low to the ground from the handle. In any case, it's more of a "get fucking used to it" thing, not like it impacts the performance...

• Like 1

Exactly why do people have a huge problem with the LCD being on the front of the handle?

cause its now in a worse location then it was on the dvx100.

Still not addressing why it's a worse location, I just don't see it being that big of a deal.

Still not addressing why it's a worse location, I just don't see it being that big of a deal.

for situations where the camera operator wishes to hold the camera by the hand strap and use the lcd would require the person to lean in more resulting in neck strain. and noobs who want to the lcd to help them film lines (assuming a proper fisheye is even compatible with this camera's 2 mics that protrude past the lens) the new screen location in the danger zone of of getting kicked or board hits, even if its not flipped out its still in the smack zone. you can continue to be ignorant & deny these issues, saying theyre not gonna be a problem & get fu*king use 2 it, but the dvx100's lcd location was superior and panasonic should improve their cams ergonomics along with how many pixels they can capture.

FWIW, I shot with an XH A1 for a few years and never had a problem with the strange placement of the LCD, the only problem I had was it being too small. I'd argue that you don't have to tilt your neck down to see it like you might have to on a DVX100, just doesn't seem like a deal breaker to me. Point taken about it being in danger of getting knocked off though.

• Like 1

Wasn't there a thread recently about the xtreme being discontinued? I'd hope they come out with something better, I was never a fan of that fringing that it has. Besides, I don't think the shallow DOF of a 4/3" sensor would play nicely with an xtreme, or any lens without diopters in the back like the FC-E9.

Not exactly. My experience with a mark II is that when you open up the iris, it goes very soft near the edges of the frame in HD. The xtreme has a similarly concave rear element, so the edge of that rear element is actually much closer to the camera's lens than the center is. I don't know if this happens with say, an HVX / xtreme, but in my case the camera (also 1/3" CCD's) was basically unable to focus on the entire rear element of the lens, but I'll bet that on this camera with it's way larger sensor and longer lens to accompany it, the same thing would happen with an xtreme, only worse. If it happens to be at night and you're only using an on-camera light, it's not a huge deal since that area of the frame is really dark anyways, but you'll notice it quite a bit at dusk when everything is still barely lit enough for the camera to see. The fringing is an entirely different issue that has nothing to do with any of this and is sorta inherent in a fisheye that only has 2 elements.

• Like 1

well then by that means using a fisheye in general is stupid and in " the danger zone " if your using your hand strap use your vf simple as that and you should b quick enough to get your camera out of danger ive taken boards to the head to avoid my camera getting hit just do what you gata honestly a lcd on the top makes more sense will b easier to check framing when filming lines i think and honestly its not a big deal ether way you should never let your camera get it but i mean it does happen

for situations where the camera operator wishes to hold the camera by the hand strap and use the lcd would require the person to lean in more resulting in neck strain. and noobs who want to the lcd to help them film lines (assuming a proper fisheye is even compatible with this camera's 2 mics that protrude past the lens) the new screen location in the danger zone of of getting kicked or board hits, even if its not flipped out its still in the smack zone. you can continue to be ignorant & deny these issues, saying theyre not gonna be a problem & get fu*king use 2 it, but the dvx100's lcd location was superior and panasonic should improve their cams ergonomics along with how many pixels they can capture.