SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
MONDOVERTICAL

Bought A Fresh Rig... Problems, Questions.

Well I guess this is my first post as well... So... Hi!

Anyways... I recently purchased a VX1000 and fisheye from an old friend who doesn't skate anymore. He purchased it off ebay ages ago and it is still in great condition. It was pretty amazing to even find a VX in town since our skate scene isnt huge or anything...

Problem is... It came with the MK2 bayo... I know you're wtfucking right now... But it came with a bayo ring adapter. It looks like it was made with JB weld. Please tell me if you've seen something like this before! One of the previous owners was obviously desperate. Haha. (pics below!)

BUT... The footage looks fine... Which is great! But I am more afraid of the lens being bumped, adapter being destroyed, and the lens sliding across the concrete. You can already see the chipped area on the adapter from the clamping of the bayo. The whole thing just isn't as secure as I feel it needs to be.

So... Questions. I'm assuming trading an MK2 for an MK1 isn't a realistic thing... I've been looking for a while and the ebay asking price for an MK2 is about $350 and an MK1 about $600something. Are the skateperception prices around the same?? It doesn't seem like many MK1s are listed alone... Or people just dont follow through with the transaction?

Or should fix my sketchy adapter ring and film with an MK2 like a total dorko?

You guys are the experts. Tell me what I neeeeeed!

20150102_132249.jpg

20150102_132649.jpg

• Like 1

i didnt really get much about your ghetto rigged camera but i do have to say more equiptment is cheaper on ebay for obvious reasons but i still go with ebay because theres buyer protection. A while ago i would have said "mk1 or die" but after realizing the overflow of mk1 footage its nice to see mk2 footage even though personally i hate filming with it some people can pull it off nicely. Also if you take the bayo out and buy spacer rings to thread your fisheye on you can have more control of how wide you want your lense to look in footage, spacing out an mk2 looks pretty good and is way cheaper than an mk1, my god, WAY CHEAPER.

i didnt really get much about your ghetto rigged camera but i do have to say more equiptment is cheaper on ebay for obvious reasons but i still go with ebay because theres buyer protection. A while ago i would have said "mk1 or die" but after realizing the overflow of mk1 footage its nice to see mk2 footage even though personally i hate filming with it some people can pull it off nicely. Also if you take the bayo out and buy spacer rings to thread your fisheye on you can have more control of how wide you want your lense to look in footage, spacing out an mk2 looks pretty good and is way cheaper than an mk1, my god, WAY CHEAPER.

THIS is the kind of information I'm looking for!! Thanks!

But... taking off the MK2 bayo reveals giant threads... I am assuming these threads are 72mm? Would i have to stack stepup rings until I hit 52mm? Would the stepup ring threading be the same as the bayo threading?!

How will I know which rings to get? Just keep getting them till a combination works?

72mm to 67mm, then 67mm to 52mm?

or 72mm to 67mm, then 67mm to ??mm, then ??mm to 52mm?

Right now, footage looks great with barely any vig... Those dumb flaps on the top and bottom don't even appear. I am afraid that if i stack too many rings... we get those flaps and tons of vig. Theres always zoom though, right?? Haha.

I feel like I'm rambling about nothing...

Another thing... Theres a bayo stopper ring I had to take off that has 5 small screws. I believe it is a 67mm ring. What would a screw locked ring like that be called?? Is there a stepup ring that has 6 screws on one side and 52mm threads on the other?! That would be the quickest fix!

Sorry for so many words.

THIS is the kind of information I'm looking for!! Thanks!

But... taking off the MK2 bayo reveals giant threads... I am assuming these threads are 72mm? Would i have to stack stepup rings until I hit 52mm? Would the stepup ring threading be the same as the bayo threading?!

How will I know which rings to get? Just keep getting them till a combination works?

72mm to 67mm, then 67mm to 52mm?

or 72mm to 67mm, then 67mm to ??mm, then ??mm to 52mm?

Right now, footage looks great with barely any vig... Those dumb flaps on the top and bottom don't even appear. I am afraid that if i stack too many rings... we get those flaps and tons of vig. Theres always zoom though, right?? Haha.

I feel like I'm rambling about nothing...

Another thing... Theres a bayo stopper ring I had to take off that has 5 small screws. I believe it is a 67mm ring. What would a screw locked ring like that be called?? Is there a stepup ring that has 6 screws on one side and 52mm threads on the other?! That would be the quickest fix!

Sorry for so many words.

Yeah i know what you're talking about with the bayo stopper, i didnt even bother with it, just took it off and threw it out. I think i got 72 to 62 mm then a 62mm spacer then a 62 to 52. That looks like this on a vx2000:

i cant really gauge if its wider than an mk1, i dont think it is, and it certainly doesn't have as much distortion either. As for that goofy lens protector i just took it off and glued it to the inside of my lens cap so it goes on similar to an mk1 if you have any idea what thats like

• Like 1

Definitely go for an mk1, especially if you're using an adapter thats made with JB weld......Also you could always ask people to split their mk1 if their selling it along with a vx. Dealing with all the spacer rings needed to get it down to a 52mm is just asking for the lens to fly off

Yeah i know what you're talking about with the bayo stopper, i didnt even bother with it, just took it off and threw it out. I think i got 72 to 62 mm then a 62mm spacer then a 62 to 52.

PERFECT!!! This is good stuff! Spacer rings exist!!

Measuring it out... I believe 62 would be too small to fit around the portion that sticks up... So just to be safe im going with a 67mm to 72mm stepup.

So, i guess, for documentation... I will be ordering a 52mm to 67mm stepup, 67mm extension ring, and a 67mm to 72mm stepup.

I will post how it goes! Thanks!

As for being too many rings... if its too sketchy... I can locknut them all together as a solid section that can screw on to the back of the lens. In fact... Yeah. I'll do that. Then glue the bayo ring into the lens cap, so it will be a screw on cap instead!

Rings arrived!!

Don't fit. The 67mm hole on the 67mm to 72mm step up is too small to go around the tube sticking up... It also seems like the threading is wider on the lens, and probably wouldn't match the threading on the adapter ring.

Never ending bummers.

i could've told you that it was gonna be too small.....but i just saw this. You need a 72mm spacer to get around the tube, sorry my dude

Yes you need to start off with a 72 spacer to fit it over the base of the lens then build up from there. I am also selling an mk1 for the vx1000 if you are interested DM me