SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
MEfilmer97

Sd Street Throwaway

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the GL1, the video quality (somewhat) and mostly the audio are sub-par from that of the VX in my own opinion. The sound of the GL1's onboard mic for skateboarding honestly sounds like nails scratching a chalkboard.

On the stationary fisheye shots, I think you need to get closer to the skater, also when you pan down after the shot, it kinda bugs me how low you get the lens, it looks like it's about to smack the ground, it's not in every shot but like the ones at the beginning I noticed. Try panning a bit more fluid and slower rather than the sudden movement, also try starting with the fisheye pointed at say the top corner of the obstacle on the side the skater ends on and ending of the opposite corner of the obstacle. Also, do you use a film board, I noticed that the sound on some of the lines were a bit shaky sounded really loud like it was coming from the filmer,might just be the GL1 onboard mic though, if you don't have one it'd be really beneficial to your filming for both your audio and help reduce some of your camera shake in filming lines as well. Hopefully I don't sound like I'm just being a dick and trying to say your video was complete shit, just trying to pass along some helpful advice.

Here's a good video for fisheye filming tips:

the gl1 footy looks fine if money was a serious issue i would totally consider one as a b-cam, filming in this however could use some work. you may be able to get better audio by putting it in manual and keeping it below suggested DB, and pulling up volume in post if needed. but ive never owned one and im no guru so i cant confirm that

yeah im setting the audio manually from now on, im getting a dvx or a vx1 setup ive just had the gl1 so long with surprisingly little problems so ive been stuck with it financially for a while

also i didnt have my filmer board on me for the weekends this was filmed hence the terrible sounding lines