SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
idontskate1

Skateboarding V.s. School?

I'm pretty close to graduating and i'm not sure which to pursue, the school would be engineering or something along those lines, the skateboarding would be working a minimum wage job in order to skate as much as possible. Any personal experience from anyone who has had to chose or stories of what people do upon graduation are applicable!

Since I graduated from hs I have been working a min wage job and filming a lot of the time my parents do not dig it at all. But now I am going to go to school after taking a year off, so its just really up to you. Do you wanna make min wage and have fun? or go to school and study your ass off, then make a lot of money. Currently I live at home still so I don't have to pay for much.

• Like 1

I took two years off after high school and am now back in #koolege studying electrical engineering. If you need the time of take it. You can go back to school whenever (although it may not be as easy as going straight out of high school) but youll only be able to toss yourself down 6 stairs for so long. I still skate as much as I can with school. Dont think you wont be able to skate with school. Just use your time wisely when your at school and be studious. Then skate all weekend. Because you'll drive ourself insane if all you do is study. And if you do go to school be sure and get a degree thats worth it. Whether it be engineering, math, something like that. Its not going to be easy by any means but itll be worth it.

#surfbortinbooklernin

• Like 2

I took two years off after high school and am now back in #koolege studying electrical engineering. If you need the time of take it. You can go back to school whenever (although it may not be as easy as going straight out of high school) but youll only be able to toss yourself down 6 stairs for so long. I still skate as much as I can with school. Dont think you wont be able to skate with school. Just use your time wisely when your at school and be studious. Then skate all weekend. Because you'll drive ourself insane if all you do is study. And if you do go to school be sure and get a degree thats worth it. Whether it be engineering, math, something like that. Its not going to be easy by any means but itll be worth it.

#surfbortinbooklernin

i like dis

#surfbortinbooklernin

how much time do you get to skate while at school? college or uni? what did you do for the 2 years you took off? do you regret not going to school right away? or was the break refreshing and made you feel like it was time to study?

go to school. I feel its better to make money and be able to do the things you want to do, rather than trying to do the things you want to do but have no money.

I'm pretty close to graduating and i'm not sure which to pursue, the school would be engineering or something along those lines, the skateboarding would be working a minimum wage job in order to skate as much as possible. Any personal experience from anyone who has had to chose or stories of what people do upon graduation are applicable!

Kawledge drop out here....... but I'm kinda weird given I'm pretty intelligent for a deadbeat, so don't base this on me or anything.

You should probably go to school...... school really isn't for a lot of the tards getting degrees these days, but engineering is a truly solid field that is worth getting into.

For goodness sake, as ironic as it is for me to say this: Are you seriously going to give up a potentially stable career, because you wanna ride around on a wooden plank and deliver pizzas? So, with all due respect: Grow up, and go to school...... we're living in tumultuous times, so you may as well learn to fix a few light bulbs in engineering school, before shit hits the fan or something.

Otherwise, congrats on your HS graduation........ but cheeze, has it really been 5 years for me? That's scary as fudge...

• Like 3

For goodness sake, as ironic as it is for me to say this: Are you seriously going to give up a potentially stable career, because you wanna ride around on a wooden plank and deliver pizzas?

its not like im giving it up but just taking some time off.

bruh it's your life or skating like would you rather live a normal life and make a decent living or spend 15 years to finally kickflip the dairy Queen 8 stair and then be a broke ass nigga just saying

• Like 5

do what you feel like man im going to college but just plan on using my time as best as possible and just skate every chance I get its up to you I struggled with whether to go to college or just take a year off and skate and its super hard but one thing to think about is when you start workinbg and living your life and skating you get set in this which makes it harder to go back to school later because youre set in your ways

Go to school and stay on top of your shit.

It is totally plausible to go yo school full time and skate, you just need to have some time management skills and always get your school shit done before you go skating.

• Like 1

Engineering school is a great choice but you will need to be smart with your time to balance regular skating in. Totally possible though.

Not sure what field you're looking to go into, but my advice is to do your research and find what you think you'd enjoy most. Reach out to professors or people in the field to see if you really like what you chose. It really won't affect you if you change majors the first or second semester. I switched after my first and then again after my third and it's added 2 years onto a 4 year degree. So yeah, don't do that.

if you want free time try for an associates rather than a BA, I'm on my third semi-part semi-full time year and a few credits away from an associates, I had plenty of time to skate with 3-4 days a week of school. 4 year schools are also really expensive which has kept me away from transferring

if you want free time try for an associates rather than a BA, I'm on my third semi-part semi-full time year and a few credits away from an associates, I had plenty of time to skate with 3-4 days a week of school. 4 year schools are also really expensive which has kept me away from transferring

so like a diploma in engineering? is that just like doing 2 years then taking a break to work? can you go back and get a B.A. of engineering afterwards?

Engineering school is a great choice but you will need to be smart with your time to balance regular skating in. Totally possible though.

do you have any idea of the range of time i would get to skateboard in full time university, weekly?

how much time do you get to skate while at school? college or uni? what did you do for the 2 years you took off? do you regret not going to school right away? or was the break refreshing and made you feel like it was time to study?

How much do I skate... Well.... I live in Wyoming.. And the weathers pretty gnar. I mean we're supposed to get snow tomorrow. So ill say I skate when the weather permits it. My friend has a mini ramp in his garage so I skate that a lot. And we shovel the park and have a propane torch for days where the sun is out. I take frequent trips to Colorado because their winters are mellow compared to ours. If you want you could mall grab and mongo push (in your sweet velcro sandals) all through campus.

Im at a uni. engineering is a 4 year degree. Dont get an associates. I mean you could.. but you want a BS. If you have a community college near you go to it for your first 2 years. Unis cost da doughhhh. I go to the cheapest Uni in the US (thx wyoming) and I still think its nuts.

The break was nice. I wouldnt go back and change things. BUT I would have paid more attention in high school. I can float through just about anything and manage to get Bs. So thats what I did in high school. Wasnt interested and didnt retain anything. Took me 3 semesters to catch up on math lol. So if you decide to take time off with plans on going back to engineering school buy yourself a math book (algebra/trig or calculus, wherever youre at) and keep up on it. On my break I got a job as an electronics tech (what inspired me to do EE) at a directional company, then moved to NYC for a bit, then out to Ca for a bit.

If you dont go straight to school youll probs miss out on a bunch of scholarships. and if youre a white male it slims down even more (ya win some, ya lose some). Honestly If you know you want to be an engineer I think you should just get started on it now. You can skate on weekends and over spring/summer/winter break. I understand where you are. Skateboarding is my biggest distraction, if you want to call it that. Skateboarding is the best shit out there so its hard to not want to do nothing but skate. But.. thats life i guess.

One word of advice if you do choose to be an engineer. Be humble. Engineering students are the most pretentious cocks out there. So dont be a d00sh.

Kawledge drop out here....... but I'm kinda weird given I'm pretty intelligent for a deadbeat, so don't base this on me or anything.

we're living in tumultuous times, so you may as well learn to fix a few light bulbs in engineering school, before shit hits the fan or something.

ayyyyy lmao. dis dude knows.

do you have any idea of the range of time i would get to skateboard in full time university, weekly?

If your credit load isn't insane, and you're not working and you pay attention in class and actively do your homework, you probably won't have any homework on the weekends. At least until you get to some harder upper level classes, even then, if you stay on top of things you won't have much. So that's like all weekend to skate. And you could definitely squeeze in around one or two hours(probably even more some days) on weekdays if you have don't have the time wasting vices that are TV and internet. But keep in mind there will be times when it seems like everything is due at once or you have like three tests in one week.

its not like im giving it up but just taking some time off.

I understand, but if you're going to go to school, I suggest you just get it over with. Yes, I go to a the beat of a far different drum than most people, and I don't regret leaving school, but I also know that engineering is one of the few fields that is actually worth the cost of education (if managed correctly), and as I said, in this day and age, I would just try to get it over with ASAP, and put that before anything else.

Given the vagueness of your initial post, I couldn't quite tell if you'd actually been accepted somewhere, and/or just meant going to Community Kawledge, but if you have the will and intelligence to get a degree in something like engineering (aka; not Political "Science", Philosophy of Gender Roles, Home Economics etc.), just fucking do it and get it over with.

I turned 23 a few short weeks ago, and while I had a pretty sweet peak post dropout from about 2011- early 2014, I also took some failed risks that I may end up regretting for a long time, all because I knew I had to think outside the box a little bit to secure my future. In the end, I'm still really young, and I will probably still end up having a far more balling life than more than half the dopes who have degrees, and yet still have the intelligence levels of an infected pimple, but even so, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit worried or scared about the lack of stability for our generation, that is becoming ever more apparent.

I know these things seem unrelated, but if you're serious about this, you need to go to school because you see it as an investment in yourself, not because you're forced to do it. One of my biggest regrets is not having that mentality when I started college, because even though I think school is fairly pointless for someone like me, it would've helped me a lot in planning my future, and creating a stable path forward.

So in conclusion: Go to school, you'll have plenty of time to skate....... I mean for goodness sake, college is pretty much like Co-Ed Sleepaway Camp now, not that it ever wasn't, I'm just saying. Even if you have to go to community college, you can probably still have a 3-way with two goth girls who hate their dads, and maybe they'll come watch you skate (after you study and do your HW) too.

• Like 4

I understand, but if you're going to go to school, I suggest you just get it over with. Yes, I go to a the beat of a far different drum than most people, and I don't regret leaving school, but I also know that engineering is one of the few fields that is actually worth the cost of education (if managed correctly), and as I said, in this day and age, I would just try to get it over with ASAP, and put that before anything else.

Given the vagueness of your initial post, I couldn't quite tell if you'd actually been accepted somewhere, and/or just meant going to Community Kawledge, but if you have the will and intelligence to get a degree in something like engineering (aka; not Political "Science", Philosophy of Gender Roles, Home Economics etc.), just fucking do it and get it over with.

I turned 23 a few short weeks ago, and while I had a pretty sweet peak post dropout from about 2011- early 2014, I also took some failed risks that I may end up regretting for a long time, all because I knew I had to think outside the box a little bit to secure my future. In the end, I'm still really young, and I will probably still end up having a far more balling life than more than half the dopes who have degrees, and yet still have the intelligence levels of an infected pimple, but even so, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit worried or scared about the lack of stability for our generation, that is becoming ever more apparent.

I know these things seem unrelated, but if you're serious about this, you need to go to school because you see it as an investment in yourself, not because you're forced to do it. One of my biggest regrets is not having that mentality when I started college, because even though I think school is fairly pointless for someone like me, it would've helped me a lot in planning my future, and creating a stable path forward.

So in conclusion: Go to school, you'll have plenty of time to skate....... I mean for goodness sake, college is pretty much like Co-Ed Sleepaway Camp now, not that it ever wasn't, I'm just saying. Even if you have to go to community college, you can probably still have a 3-way with two goth girls who hate their dads, and maybe they'll come watch you skate (after you study and do your HW) too.

yeah i got accepted into uvic, so maybe thats a bit more difficult than komunity koolege? thanks for the info, i guess you guys are making me go! i'm really doing it guys i'm growing up!