SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
Moorey

Mirrorless Cameras

I need some help with deciding on a mirrorless camera. I'm currently looking at the Olympus e-m10, it's looks pretty reasonable and it's at a good price. I'm just not sure if it will be good with taking skate photos. Hopefully someone can give me some advice or tell me if it's not worth it and yeah.

Cheers

I shoot with an Olympus em5 mk2, it's an excellent camera and really good for skating. Image quality surpasses that of the old Canon DSLRs like the 7d etc, and matches most modern APSC DSLRs quite well, dynamic range at low ISOs is really good. Some other formats in the same price range have slightly better image quality, such as the Sony alpha series and maybe the new Nikon dslrs by a bit, but image quality nowadays is hardly an issue. For skating, I would recommend the em5 mk1 over the em10, it's built slightly better and has a faster flash sync, 1/250 but can be pushed up to 1/320 or even 1/400 with no black bar, 1/500 sometimes. The em10 is only 1/160.

The burst rate on these cameras is good too, ranging from 8 to 10fps depending on which model you have. Because these are mirrorless cameras, you'll be able to shoot through the LCD screen in live view mode without any delay, so you can flip out the LCD screen and compose fisheye shots a lot easier, it makes shooting fish a lot easier.

The em1 is probably best for shooting skating, best build quality and fastest flash sync. If you do get one of these cameras., invest your money in fast, compact primes, you'll get better results than you would with zooms because of the smaller sensor, unless you get the Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 which is really good. You'll enjoy the greatly reduced size and weight of the setup in comparison to a DSLR.

• Like 1

the olympus (and to a degree the panasonic, but O-boyz4l) micro 4-3 cameras are lovely compact cameras with a couple of drawbacks. Firstly, sensor size is tiny for an interchangeable lens camera, meaning low-light is not as great as it could be. this is less noticeable due to the fucking crazy iso's some of the newer ones like the em5mk2 can put out a clean image at, but when u compare it to the equally batshit a7s it's definitely hurt by the smaller sensor. this also effects things like bokeh, but you could argue (and i often do) that this makes it better for shooting street and skating too probably because you're more likely to get your focus right even at lower apertures. The om-d's have crazy fast AF too, i've never used anything like it. as well as this, you can put almost any lens you want on an om-d or other m43 camera, but the crop factor is a bang on 2x (this at least makes it easy to work out) meaning a 35mm lens becomes a 70mm and so on, hard to get a decent wide angle but olympus make nice lenses still with zuiko glass.

The second "drawback" depending on your preference is the reliance on electricity a lot of the mirrorless cameras have. mirrorless lenses usually lack an aperture ring and always lack a decent manual focusing ring, usually they'll be focus by wire as well, which is more electrics and more things to go wrong. Also instead of looking thru a viewfinder you're really looking at a tiny little lcd screen, i have no problem with this but guys like Tunebomb (i.e. luddites) often complain about this sort of thing.

All in all mirrorless cameras are dope imo because of their small size and lens options, however unless you're shooting with an A7 (or one of its r or s variants) you're going to be limited to a maximum aps-c sensor and on any camera you'll have to "settle" for an evf.

For what it's worth i currently shoot with an a7 using old manual focus minolta lenses and i plan to continue doing so for the foreseeable future, however i had an om-d and an x100 before it. the om-d is better than the x100 and would be decent enough for skating, but the a7 is better than both, if you have the means, i highly recommend picking one up

I shoot with an Olympus em5 mk2, it's an excellent camera and really good for skating. Image quality surpasses that of the old Canon DSLRs like the 7d etc, and matches most modern APSC DSLRs quite well, dynamic range at low ISOs is really good. Some other formats in the same price range have slightly better image quality, such as the Sony alpha series and maybe the new Nikon dslrs by a bit, but image quality nowadays is hardly an issue. For skating, I would recommend the em5 mk1 over the em10, it's built slightly better and has a faster flash sync, 1/250 but can be pushed up to 1/320 or even 1/400 with no black bar, 1/500 sometimes. The em10 is only 1/160.

The burst rate on these cameras is good too, ranging from 8 to 10fps depending on which model you have. Because these are mirrorless cameras, you'll be able to shoot through the LCD screen in live view mode without any delay, so you can flip out the LCD screen and compose fisheye shots a lot easier, it makes shooting fish a lot easier.

The em1 is probably best for shooting skating, best build quality and fastest flash sync. If you do get one of these cameras., invest your money in fast, compact primes, you'll get better results than you would with zooms because of the smaller sensor, unless you get the Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 which is really good. You'll enjoy the greatly reduced size and weight of the setup in comparison to a DSLR.

Thanks for the reply man. I was actually looking at the e-m5 but the camera store I work at discontinued that camera, that's why I was looking at the e-m10 because I can get it heaps cheaper. Do you still reckon the e-m10 is worth it?

the olympus (and to a degree the panasonic, but O-boyz4l) micro 4-3 cameras are lovely compact cameras with a couple of drawbacks. Firstly, sensor size is tiny for an interchangeable lens camera, meaning low-light is not as great as it could be. this is less noticeable due to the fucking crazy iso's some of the newer ones like the em5mk2 can put out a clean image at, but when u compare it to the equally batshit a7s it's definitely hurt by the smaller sensor. this also effects things like bokeh, but you could argue (and i often do) that this makes it better for shooting street and skating too probably because you're more likely to get your focus right even at lower apertures. The om-d's have crazy fast AF too, i've never used anything like it. as well as this, you can put almost any lens you want on an om-d or other m43 camera, but the crop factor is a bang on 2x (this at least makes it easy to work out) meaning a 35mm lens becomes a 70mm and so on, hard to get a decent wide angle but olympus make nice lenses still with zuiko glass.

The second "drawback" depending on your preference is the reliance on electricity a lot of the mirrorless cameras have. mirrorless lenses usually lack an aperture ring and always lack a decent manual focusing ring, usually they'll be focus by wire as well, which is more electrics and more things to go wrong. Also instead of looking thru a viewfinder you're really looking at a tiny little lcd screen, i have no problem with this but guys like Tunebomb (i.e. luddites) often complain about this sort of thing.

All in all mirrorless cameras are dope imo because of their small size and lens options, however unless you're shooting with an A7 (or one of its r or s variants) you're going to be limited to a maximum aps-c sensor and on any camera you'll have to "settle" for an evf.

For what it's worth i currently shoot with an a7 using old manual focus minolta lenses and i plan to continue doing so for the foreseeable future, however i had an om-d and an x100 before it. the om-d is better than the x100 and would be decent enough for skating, but the a7 is better than both, if you have the means, i highly recommend picking one up

Thanks for the reply dude, I'd really love to get an a7 but I really don't have the money for that man, still just want to know if the e-m10 would still be good?

Thanks for the reply man. I was actually looking at the e-m5 but the camera store I work at discontinued that camera, that's why I was looking at the e-m10 because I can get it heaps cheaper. Do you still reckon the e-m10 is worth it?

Asides the lack of weathersealing, and 8fps vs 9fps, it's essentially the same, if you shoot natural light that is. 1/160 just won't cut it for flash during the day, you would have to wait til just after sunset if you wanted to shoot with flash. If you're cool with that, then the em10 will serve you just as well.

Have you looked at fuji stuff?

Nah I haven't because the camera store I work at don't stock the mirrorless cameras from Fuji. If I get something from the store I work at I get a good discount which I need because I don't have a lot of money haha. The just stock the mirrorless cameras from Olympus, Lumix and Sony