SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
Germ

Best Fisheye For Sony A7s

Any advice on the widest fisheye for the A7S? Should I use crop mode and get an 8mm or get a full frame 12mm rokinon? I'd kind of like to avoid cropping but I also want whatever is widest.

Thanks

You're gonna want to avoid full-frame for fisheye stuff because of the awful rolling shutter in that mode. It's more manageable in crop (APS-C) mode.

So you can go with pretty much any APS-C fisheye ever, with a simple adapter ring, or go for a zoom fisheye like the Canon 8-16 or Tokina 10-17 which will give you the most flexibility.

if you have the cash go for the 8-15mm. i have it and its amazing. use it in crop mode for video but then you'll still have the option to zoom in for photos. if you buy a rokinon 8mm you'll be cropping into that already small 12mp for photos.

• Like 1

The Canon sounds rad but it's a bit out of my price range after dropping some dough on the A7S, handle, batteries, etc. Primary use of this fish will be for video, I'll start saving for the Canon and try to find a good deal on an APS-C 8mm for the time being. Thanks guys!

I wonder if a peleng 8mm with adapter would be wider than the Rokinon e mount 8 mm

anyone have any good fisheye footage using a sony a7? or any sony alpha camera? im pretty interested in them since they are coming out with the servo zoom lens

Thanks sweiordie, that looks real wide! I ended up ordering an e mount rokinon 8mm with removable cap, stoked to use it.

I wonder if a peleng 8mm with adapter would be wider than the Rokinon e mount 8 mm

Peleng is wider, but softer edges, and it gets that heavy flare in sunlight. I have owned both peleng and rokinon 8mm, Rokinon is Definitely sharper, and less distortion. its a trade off either way, The peleng just has kind of a unique look to it, albeit kinda shitty.