SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
Tommy40666

For Those Who Have Bought A Vx1000 Off Ebay?

What kind of condition can I expect when i receive it and down the road? Been looking at a "mint" VX but not sure if the internals are okay. Dirty heads or something…

Is it from an individual or like, an eBay shop account kinda thing. I got one from ZoomPoint like 4 years ago, who sell a bunch of camera shit on ebay and it was in extremely good shape. But if its from a person you never know what your getting til' you get it i guess. Also if its english its more then likely in better shape, japenese ones off ebay are haggard

The seller seems pretty legit, he has a small inventory of VX parts as well as different vxs. The one I'm looking at is around $800 and apparently mint/USA version. Thinking this should be a go.

Bought a vx off eBay at least two years ago. My first one and i made sure to ask the guy a bunch of questions, he said he used it at church events. And he used the same tapes but couldn't remember what ones. Or at least I forgot. It was in alright shape but after two years of course it went to toast. But yea just make sure you ask a shit ton of questions before you buy it, the seller will totally understand.

On 7/2/2015 at 7:50 PM, ParkerWGB said:

"But yea just make sure you ask a shit ton of questions before you buy it, the seller will totally understand"

Speculation

There are a lot Japanese versions that are in perfect condition on Ebay the last time I checked, they go for around 600,- I think

3 minutes ago, marc said:

There are a lot Japanese versions that are in perfect condition on Ebay the last time I checked, they go for around 600,- I think

yea. sadly most the time the shipping is also from japan so its adds on quite a bit more money. Might as well find an english one for around the same price. 

I bought a mint VX1000 off ebay. It was perfect aesthetically but had fungus in the internal lens and the chip was pretty much fucked up. It was producing shit greyish footy. Got it repaired by Kerry at Videoelectronics

I have bought two VXs off eBay. Both bought without any questions asked about them, as well as simply going by the merit of the seller's descriptions and their feedback haha. But to be honest, it is always best to ask what about it and what its use was. I guess like most electrical items, it might be better if it has had some use recently and not been stored somewhere for say, 10 years. At least with skateboarding, there is always someone there to fix it. For now.

Originally I bought a VX21 to replace my busted one, that one was almost like new and only needed a head cleaning tape after I used it 3-4 times. I think honestly that was the only gripe since it might just be a little bit filthy on the heads. The Jap VX1 I just bought seems to be all tidy par the viewfinder ribbon cable being a bit dicky, but it's in good nick for what it is and I can expect that from a camera as old as I am.

I just hope it doesn't go boom at some random point.

Just ask the seller questions. Out of the few I've purchased from eBay, I learned the one I purchased in about 2002/2003ish was used only a handful of times and was originally purchased to shoot golf swings to be analyzed by a program the dude was developing but he had to stop because he and his wife had a kid and then it was only used to film a few holidays and birthdays... that VX was ultra minty.

The other one I purchased from eBay, which was sometime after 2013 if I recall correctly, was used by some rich dude to film his orchards from a helicopter and was sold with previously used tapes that were Sony 'Excellence' brand, which from what I researched at the time are supposed to be better than Sony Premiums. The tapes contained footage of trees shot from above which corroborated the orchard story the seller told me. That VX was also in immaculate condition.

• Like 1