SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
Tin Man

6d Vs 5dii

Have around $800 saved up, and going to be saving more, and I'm trying to decide between these two. The 5d has the 1/8000th speed which is nice, I have a film camera that does that and I love it. From what I've read the 6d is made out of plastic, my current camera (t3i) is plastic and feels like it'll break from the smallest hit. It does have much higher ISO speeds which could be useful. I'm leaning towards the 5d but wanted some more opinions.

7D Mark II - If you haven't heard much about it do some research. I've been saving up for it. It's literally the 1DX of Crop Sensor.

If you're not feeling Crop Sensor, 6D is very capable and much cheaper then the 5D3 so I'd probably go for that. Just remember once you go full frame all the lenses cost a lot more.

Also the 7D Mark II has way better ISO performance over past canon crop sensor + extra reach (zoom ranges) when you buy FF lenses which is nice to consider. And its made of the same magnesium body the as the 5D Mark III. It's top notch man at only $1500 for the body. It ALSO has 10fps which is the highest of any crop sensor out there (probably very useful for skating)

Lol^ Been nerding out lately on this camera watching a lot of reviews on it - Just research around and find out what features you really need.

Why Canon? Have you considered other brands like Sony? Also, why have you narrowed down your choices to full frame only? What are you going to be using it for?

• Like 1

My grandpa has the 7dii, and it's pretty gnarly. As far as skating goes it's definitely my best option. I'm not currently shooting skating at the time so I'm not sure if I should get it, as full frame is really tempting. I've been shooting a lot of film lately and I really like the "full frame". I shoot most things outside of skating on film so I guess having a crop wouldn't be the end of the world. The 7d outperforms both of these in almost everything but sensor size so I'll have to keep it in consideration. Thanks for the input.

And I really like Canon, I have a lot of pretty good (non-L) lenses and I don't feel like spending a ton of money getting all the equivalent lenses for Sony. The A7 does look good, I just don't have the budget to re-purchase all my lenses.

• Like 1

And I really like Canon, I have a lot of pretty good (non-L) lenses and I don't feel like spending a ton of money getting all the equivalent lenses for Sony. The A7 does look good, I just don't have the budget to re-purchase all my lenses.

you can buy an adapter from metabones for 400 here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1054790-REG/metabones_mb_ef_e_bm4_canon_ef_lens_to.html

or you could save some money and get a commlite for 100: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DW0EV2I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

the commlite has said to have corner sharpness issues though.

Don't you lose a few stops of light with the metabones adapter? Seems useless to me and a waste of money

I love my 7d1 <3. What camera are you using currently? Are you printing big enough or cropping alot where you feel you need the resolution of the full frame?

I love my 5d mk iii and the 6d has basically the same sensor so I would say that. AF is pretty equal between 6d and the mk ii, I remember when I researching that the 6d build quality wasn't too bad and I don't really understand the need for crazy high shutter speeds so I'd say 6d. Also consider an older 1d, like a mk iii that's an amazing camera in the same price range as well that sounds like it could possibly meet your needs better than either of those.

i noticed a huge jump in resolution going 60d to 5dmkii, id choose better photos over the nifty features in the 7d every time. Between mk2 and 6d, I chose mk2 for price and supposed better build, but if i had the cash i probably would've loved the high iso on the 6d.

I love my 7d1 <3. What camera are you using currently? Are you printing big enough or cropping alot where you feel you need the resolution of the full frame?

I'm using a T3i so almost anything is a step up. I don't print too often, but that's not why I want the full frame. I've been getting into landscape stuff and I'm annoyed by the crop factor. I've been shooting film really often and going back to the T3i makes me notice it even more.

Like I said I'm not shooting any skating right now so the most of the 7d perks don't matter to me (for now), but they'll probably be handy in the future. The 6d is an "entry level" camera from what I've read, which is what I'm trying to get away from. I'm trying to think long term. I bought my T3i, which was fine for when I was learning, but I feel a little hindered with how out dated it is. The 5d is outdated, but it's got enough resolution and features that it should hold up for a while.

Edit: Also I hate EVF. I played around with a a6000 and the VF was terrible. I'm sure the A7 is better, but the delay, and the slow shutter "effect" turned me off really quickly.

Don't you lose a few stops of light with the metabones adapter? Seems useless to me and a waste of money

Nope, there's no glass, it's just an adapter with autofocus, no light lost. In fact, with the speedbooster versions of the adapter, you gain a stop of light, shallower depth of field, and your crop factor becomes that of a full frame sensor, if your camera is APSC sized. Pretty cool idea.

I'm using a T3i so almost anything is a step up. I don't print too often, but that's not why I want the full frame. I've been getting into landscape stuff and I'm annoyed by the crop factor. I've been shooting film really often and going back to the T3i makes me notice it even more.

There are plenty of good wide angle lenses designed specifically for crop sensor cameras, that shouldn't be an issue. Unless you absolutely need the high iso performance, resolution and dynamic range, then I don't think image quality should be your number one priority in choosing a new camera. You mention you're shooting landscape, APSC sensors have an advantage for landscapes in that the depth of field is deeper at an equivalent aperture, which means you can let more light in, and shoot a stop lower iso and retain the same depth of field.

We've kind of reached a point of sufficiency when it comes to image quality, most DSLRs and mirrorless cameras provide more than enough image quality for most of our purposes. Go on guesstheformat.com, see if you can consistently answer correctly when the choices are between full frame, four thirds and apsc. Unless you pixel peep a lot, I doubt you could discern the nuances between the sensors in normal conditions. No matter what camera you pick, IQ should be enough. I think you should choose based on usability and features that will help you get the photo.

Edit: Also I hate EVF. I played around with a a6000 and the VF was terrible. I'm sure the A7 is better, but the delay, and the slow shutter "effect" turned me off really quickly.

I don't want to sound like a salesman here, but the A7 evf is much better than that of the a6k. The delay is getting better with each generation of camera, and once you utilise the features of an evf, it becomes really handy. You can use focus peaking, histogram and build in levels with evfs, on top of that, the exposure you see in the evf is what you will get in camera, so it makes nailing the exposure much easier. All that being said, it still comes down to opinion, just my 2c.

• Like 1

I'm not worried at all about the resolution. My 18 megapixel T3i is just fine. I've never felt like I needed more pixels or anything. I'm just looking for better autofocus, low light, build quality, etc. I know that there's wide angle lenses made for APSC, but I'd rather not have to buy even more lenses (I carry way too many as it is). It would just be nice to have a different perspective with my current lenses. I don't really use telephoto all that often (almost never, really) so the whole (extra reach) doesn't matter to me; I have a 75-300 so that's really long full frame or cropped.

I love my 5d mk iii and the 6d has basically the same sensor so I would say that. AF is pretty equal between 6d and the mk ii, I remember when I researching that the 6d build quality wasn't too bad and I don't really understand the need for crazy high shutter speeds so I'd say 6d. Also consider an older 1d, like a mk iii that's an amazing camera in the same price range as well that sounds like it could possibly meet your needs better than either of those.

Would 10mp be enough? In my photography class we print fairly large (I want to say my last something like 13x19?), and I want to make sure it'll hold up. Also the 1.3x crop is going to be a little difficult to find a fisheye for. If I got a full frame, I would've gotten the Canon 15mm but now I would have to buy a zoom. Also, how's the focusing on that one? It says 45 af points, but it's an older camera so I don't know how good they are. My t3i is pretty awful when it comes to focusing.

Edit: How would the 1Ds mark ii be? It seems similar, lower burst, but higher resolution. And it's full frame which is what I really want.

Some info here made me bleed from the eyes, like ''APSC gives you + extra reach (zoom ranges)''

No in fact you could crop a FF to the same field of view and get pretty much the same file size at the same resolution of an APSC shot, the crop dont give you extra range ... it simply crop by using less '' spaces '' than the FF.

Im also on canon, the 60D and looking to upgrade. These are my conclusion

5D Mark ii

FF but OLD and sensor performance are outdated really outdated. 6D hands down.

7D mark i

APSC and OLD, Review made me think that I wont feel the upgrade in the outcome of the final RAW.

7D Mark ii

APSC best choice if you want to stay away of full frame, but its more a side move than a upgrade.

6D Mark i

FF, Better than the old 5D mark ii, les features than the 5D mark iii.

5D Mark iii

Buy it bro, you rich ?

1Ds mark ii

Buy it bro, you rich ?

Conclusion

I plan to get a canon 6D, the 6D mark ii will probably be annonced next summer but at 2100$ instead of the 1600$ current price of the 6D mark i. So if you can wait next summer, the price of the 6D mark i will probably drop again and spam the used market. And the new 6d mark ii will be under 5d mark iii performance 100% garanted ... if not they would kill the market and it would bring the 5dm3 to a non-sence.

The build of the 6D is more 7D mark i and 60D like than the t3i cheap plastic. Its not that crappy beleive me and its weather sealed so .... You dont feel the plastic moving under your grip like the t3i, people who said its plastic like .... Did they ever pick it up ?

I shoot skate and bike and travel landscape so the downside of the 6D dont really affect me.

Low FPS = I mostly use flash day and night, 80% of the time im at 1/20 sec fps ....

Shutter not 8000 = I think on 5000 pic 1% of them are shot beyond 3500-4000 so ....

Low AF point = My fish eye is manual, skate shot are made in manual af, other I only use center enneways.

No flash = Dont care I have 2

For me, the negative point of the 6D dont affect me.

Lens

Rokinon 8mm f3.5, I sell it for 200 and buy the super way sharper 700$ Rokinon 12mm f2.8 for FF

Tokina 11-16 f2.8 I sell it for 400 and buy the Canon 16-35f4 L for 800

Canon 50mm f1.8 I keep it

Canon ef24mm f2.8 I just sell it for 140 and use the 16-35.

Ruff math im looking to be + 750 on my budget on lens but will get MAJOR upgrade in glass quality.

For me just the fish eye quality upgrade is worth the move.

The 6D's flash sync is only 1/180th sec but the camera only shoots at 1/160th and 1/200th. The viewfinder is only 97% coverage so what you see is not what you get. For shooting skateboarding thats kind of a huge downfall. In my opinion your lens choices seem kind of poor. You won't have anything over a 50mm standard lens. For a fisheye you could get a canon 15mm 2.8 for less money than the rokinon 12mm or for just a little bit more get a used canon 8-15mm.

The 6D's flash sync is only 1/180th sec but the camera only shoots at 1/160th and 1/200th. The viewfinder is only 97% coverage so what you see is not what you get. For shooting skateboarding thats kind of a huge downfall. In my opinion your lens choices seem kind of poor. You won't have anything over a 50mm standard lens. For a fisheye you could get a canon 15mm 2.8 for less money than the rokinon 12mm or for just a little bit more get a used canon 8-15mm.

180 is max sync on normal, first or second curtain. With a HSS flash and trigger you can go up to 4000 easy.

Now when will you use 250 over 180 in low light, slow shutter second curtain ...

But im interrested on you opinion about the rokinon 12mm vs Canon ef15 mm ... I though Rokinon was sharper and had better details on a FF than the Canon EF 15mm .... at 100$ difference I dont care about the price but I would want the best FF fish eye available.

Theres also the canon 14mm L. I would guess that it would be the best FF fish availible but thats a huge jump in price. The 8-15mm f4 L gives you the option to zoom. Its what i use and I find it to be really sharp. You lose a stop of light but it seems worthwhile for me. Its also weather proofed and has autofocus (which is actually usefulland works good imo) it has a coating on the lens that helps dust/smudges wipe off easily. And your metadata of your exposure actually shows up in lightroom. I've read that its sharper in the corners than the 15mm. I would guess that the 14mm has similar things going for it. Do some research before you jump on the rokinon unless your tight on a budget.

Theres also the canon 14mm L. I would guess that it would be the best FF fish availible but thats a huge jump in price. The 8-15mm f4 L gives you the option to zoom. Its what i use and I find it to be really sharp. You lose a stop of light but it seems worthwhile for me. Its also weather proofed and has autofocus (which is actually usefulland works good imo) it has a coating on the lens that helps dust/smudges wipe off easily. And your metadata of your exposure actually shows up in lightroom. I've read that its sharper in the corners than the 15mm. I would guess that the 14mm has similar things going for it. Do some research before you jump on the rokinon unless your tight on a budget.

The 14mm isn't a fisheye though