SkatePerception
Sign in to follow this  
theabbzz

Switch Tapes? Vx1000

i've heard that you should really avoid switching tapes, like using sony premiums then start using TDK.

the person who sold me the vx said he only used sony premiums, sadly those are hard to get in Sweden, I would have to order them from some website. My local store 10min from my house sells maxell tapes really cheap though instead of waiting 5 -7 days for delivery + pay for shipping for the sony premiums.

so my question is, would it really hurt the camera to do the change from sony premiums to maxell?

(sorry for my english

its really not recommended to switch tape brands because some use wet and others use dry lubricants and mixing them can damage the camera's heads. if you must switch use head cleaner before doing it.

• Like 1

What about switching one tape between multiple vx1/vx2s? Same thing pretty much?

if one of the cams has dirty heads it could transfer gunk on to the tape and to the other camcorder. if both have clean heads and have always used the same brand of tapes it should be okay.

I agree, just order sony tapes on amazon or something. It's convenient to buy them at a corner store but usually they are dangerously pricey and it's just way cheaper to buy sony tapes in bulk online

Just stick with the premiums, you will be blowing money out of your Ass for the ones at Walgreens or CVS. At least in Seattle they are super overpriced. But just buy bulk off eBay, or Amazon and just wait. It will be better in the long run.

• Like 2

Just stick with the premiums, you will be blowing money out of your Ass for the ones at Walgreens or CVS. At least in Seattle they are super overpriced. But just buy bulk off eBay, or Amazon and just wait. It will be better in the long run.

206 represent, where is that god tier blue hand rail with the cement run next to it in your flickr account? West Seattle-ish judging by the subway rail?

• Like 1

206 represent, where is that god tier blue hand rail with the cement run next to it in your flickr account? West Seattle-ish judging by the subway rail?

dmmm

FWIW, I used to run panasonic tapes in cameras that usually saw premiums all the time and I think I only experienced one dropout that was a problem. Manufacturers resolved this issue a long ass time ago. That said, it'll definitely be cheaper to buy in bulk.